TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Fog/Driving light project!

I decided to add some Fog/Driving lights to my car. I had purchased some fog lights I liked of Ebay. So mounting them, repainting my chin area and lower part of valence as it had a few scrapes. I am outlining the fog lights with a aluminum panel that I have made, and still need to install and polish that some more. Project should be complete by tomorrow. I also going to add the lower billet grill. Initially my idea was to incorporate fog lights, brake cooling and lower grill into one. I changed my mind due to the fact that would have to cut out too much material for the grill to lay in right. So I felt that could have compromised the strength of the front lower fascia area so I opted to do this way. So far it appears to be turning out just fine. My initial alignment appears to be good. I also did this in such a way that I can replace the covers on the outside area and never can tell I added the fogs. As I had left the original "tab" holes for the cover plates. So here is some initial pics as to what I have done today!

fogproject.jpg

fogproject1.jpg

fogproject2.jpg

fogproject3.jpg

fogproject4.jpg

fogproject5.jpg

fogproject6.jpg

You must have been reading my mind, I was thinking about posting a thread on this very thing. I have always wondered if anyone else had a driving light solution that was not a big deal to add drving lights in this area that would use the factory switch in the car.

Can you share the cost of the lights and the plate that goes in there along with how long. I'm interested in a set.

GG

The lights cost me $76.50 shipped from Ebay. They were advertised as being for a Mustang. Once I received them though they had a manufacturer sticker for Nissan. I was not too concerned about that anyway, as I chose these just cause I liked the look of them, the mounting tabs, and the fact that the reflector inside is adjustable via a knob on the bottom. So this way once, they were mounted in a close approximation I can fine tune them. As for the hardware, I just went to Lowes and bought some 1/4x20 countersunk head stainless screws 3 in long. As you can see in the pic, I just stuck the screws through, nutted them to hold them to the fascia. I then just used nuts and washers to be able to adjust the angle of the lights in relation to the fascia. As for the wiring part of the job, I just cut off the plugs that were behind the grill and extended the wires down to the lower fascia area. These lights that I bought ended not being the correct plug type for a Mustang. Once again no biggie. I just made a new harness that was spliced onto the factory wiring to go the new lights. I then used No. 18 spade connectors to slide onto the bulb electrical tabs which has a nice snug fit. As far the hardware I spent about $30 for it, as it is all stainless. Once my painting is completed I then have some aluminum covers that I made to fit around the bulbs into the original area where the "waffle" plates go. As you can see in the pics, I kept the original tab locations for the waffle plates. So if I chose too, I could return the car back to original looking status. I am going to mount my cover plates using my rivet nuts which I still have plenty of from my hood scoop project and using the stainless allen button heads for those covers as well.

I also while doing this project upgraded the bulbs on these and my headlights to Xtravision Bulbs. Hopefully tomorrow I will receive my black front turn signal assemblies as well.

The lights cost me $76.50 shipped from Ebay. They were advertised as being for a Mustang. Once I received them though they had a manufacturer sticker for Nissan. I was not too concerned about that anyway, as I chose these just cause I liked the look of them, the mounting tabs, and the fact that the reflector inside is adjustable via a knob on the bottom. So this way once, they were mounted in a close approximation I can fine tune them. As for the hardware, I just went to Lowes and bought some 1/4x20 countersunk head stainless screws 3 in long. As you can see in the pic, I just stuck the screws through, nutted them to hold them to the fascia. I then just used nuts and washers to be able to adjust the angle of the lights in relation to the fascia. As for the wiring part of the job, I just cut off the plugs that were behind the grill and extended the wires down to the lower fascia area. These lights that I bought ended not being the correct plug type for a Mustang. Once again no biggie. I just made a new harness that was spliced onto the factory wiring to go the new lights. I then used No. 18 spade connectors to slide onto the bulb electrical tabs which has a nice snug fit. As far the hardware I spent about $30 for it, as it is all stainless. Once my painting is completed I then have some aluminum covers that I made to fit around the bulbs into the original area where the "waffle" plates go. As you can see in the pics, I kept the original tab locations for the waffle plates. So if I chose too, I could return the car back to original looking status. I am going to mount my cover plates using my rivet nuts which I still have plenty of from my hood scoop project and using the stainless allen button heads for those covers as well.

I also while doing this project upgraded the bulbs on these and my headlights to Xtravision Bulbs. Hopefully tomorrow I will receive my black front turn signal assemblies as well.

Hey Stormracer,

Very cool, keep the pics coming and time to consider this as a kit project for forum members, I was never to interested in the one with the whole next too the light like the Shelby GT-H.

Nice job............ GG

Hey Stormracer

You came up with a great idea.

I found these one ebay: My link

Are they a match to what you bought?

Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Yes they are, but be advised even though advertise for a Mustang they are not. The bulbs are just H11, where in the bulb for a Mustang is H11 9145ST which has a different mount tab for the housing. So as I stated what you will have to do is just make your own harness to connect to these lights. Its not a big deal, just use some #18 Red spade connectors, which will slide onto the bulb contacts just fine. As you might have seen in my pic, I taped them up nice and sealed then to the bulb. Should be just fine! Also the place I bought mine had a best offer, so I ended up getting 2 for $76.50 shipped. The seller was here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270694147935&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_755

Well essentially finished the project early this morning. I woke up at 3AM and was wide awake so out to the garage I went. Well I finished all of it, cleaned the garage and took the car to see how the lights looked. They look real good, but still needed some adjustment. So brought the car back into the garage to do the adjustment. I was jacking the car up when it slipped of the jack, and that made my morning! The jack went through the lower cover then proceeded to take out my radiator fan assembly. Luckily the radiator is fine, and I was not under the car at the time, but I was jacking it up so would not have been under it lol. Well anyway, fog lights done, repair not! New assembly already ordered and on the way!

fogproject7.jpg

fogproject8.jpg

fogproject9.jpg

fogproject10.jpg

fogproject15.jpg

fogproject16.jpg

fogproject17.jpg

fogproject11.jpg

fogproject12.jpg

fogproject13.jpg

OUCH! And that is why we should not be getting up at 3 in the morning...

Great job Stormracer. The lights make the car stand out at night.

A couple questions though.

What gauge aluminum did you use for your cover plates and what did you use to cut the holes with?

OUCH! And that is why we should not be getting up at 3 in the morning...

Great job Stormracer. The lights make the car stand out at night.

A couple questions though.

What gauge aluminum did you use for your cover plates and what did you use to cut the holes with?

I think the gauge is about #18 but not sure, it was a scrap piece laying around. I used a hole saw to cut the holes on drill press.

Very nice work ! Do the phillips screw heads keep the covers from sitting flush?

Sorry about the accident ; projects are never easy it seems.

yes they do!

Bummer on the accident, glad you weren't hurt. I liked this project, think if I was doing it on my car would spray flat black on the covers.

Looks like they put out some good light......... GG

That is a thought which I debated, and still a option!

Very nice work ! Do the phillips screw heads keep the covers from sitting flush?

Sorry about the accident ; projects are never easy it seems.

I mean, do the screws get in the way since they stick out ? Just wondering; thanks !

I like this mod...One thing I would probably do though is to buy another set of the honeycomb covers and just drill them out for the lights, and drill some recesses in the back for those phillips head screws so that they would lay flat...I think that would make it a really nice setup then...The plastic honeycomb pieces are not that expensive at all...

Did your lights come with the wiring harness? I've noticed several on Ebay that do include the harness and the plugs for the lights, looks to be a very simple bolt on installation by just splicing ithe harness in to the original SGT driving light harness...

I like this mod...One thing I would probably do though is to buy another set of the honeycomb covers and just drill them out for the lights, and drill some recesses in the back for those phillips head screws so that they would lay flat...I think that would make it a really nice setup then...The plastic honeycomb pieces are not that expensive at all...

Did your lights come with the wiring harness? I've noticed several on Ebay that do include the harness and the plugs for the lights, looks to be a very simple bolt on installation by just splicing ithe harness in to the original SGT driving light harness...

Yes I have thought that also! I agree that it would look more factory! Hmmmmm.......

I like the idea of drilling through the honeycomb covers also and adjusting your lights just a hair more so they come even with your covers. I also think it would be nice if you could use flat head bolts to smooth your fit.

Don't you just love it with all the back seat comments. Your blazing a new trail for the rest of us. I am dangerous with a drill and would most likely just pay someone to do it. When you get through can I borrow your drill hole cutter to do mine.

Keep us posted with those pics :confused:

GG

I like the idea of drilling through the honeycomb covers also and adjusting your lights just a hair more so they come even with your covers. I also think it would be nice if you could use flat head bolts to smooth your fit.

Don't you just love it with all the back seat comments. Your blazing a new trail for the rest of us. I am dangerous with a drill and would most likely just pay someone to do it. When you get through can I borrow your drill hole cutter to do mine.

Keep us posted with those pics :confused:

GG

The comments are all good. That is what the forums are about, constructive help. Unlike another forum I visit(which shall remain nameless), there they are so childish with the forum. Here people are much mature with their comments and help. So I dont mind the comments at all. As with your comment if I were to put back my original waffle covers, I like the idea of bringing the lights out to match. I also like the idea of Motorjocks too in using them for a more factory look. As I stated, I had thought of it, just did not go there. But the more I think about it, the more I like it. It will not look like a add on. So I guess I am off to the garage again......LOL! Later with some new pics I think!

Well I took the advice of the positive comments here, and I must say I am very pleased how it turned out. It looks factory without question now. Thanks for the positive thoughts and hope you all like!

fogproject18.jpg

fogproject19.jpg

fogproject20.jpg

fogproject21.jpg

fogproject22.jpg

fogproject23.jpg

fogproject24.jpg

LOOKS FANTASTIC!!! Now this is just another mod to be put on my list that keeps getting longer....

GREAT JOB Stormracer! I like that look MUCH better!

Now get you a lower grille in there to protect the lower part of that radiator and you'll be A Number 1 COOL!

Thanks Motorjock! I wanted to add, that in the change I used just a bit smaller diameter screw, that was countersunk and had a flat head. This allowed the covers to snap back in place without any issues at all. Also by using the smaller diameter screws this gave me a little more flexibility to pivot the lights to a more vertical position. I also mounted them upside down, as I was playing around and found that by doing so, I have a much greater adjustment from the bottom going up with the reflector now. Just worked out much better, so if the lights now are to low, I can tweak them up and if they are too high I can tweak them down. With them upside down I appear to be more in the "middle" of the adjustment on the lights reflector assembly. So once again, thanks for the positive comments it certainly paid off to head the advice and push me in this direction.

Rich

Here is the night shots! Those Sylvania XTra Vision Bulbs are nice and bright. Keep in mind the pics I took are down low looking directly into the lights. Standing and essentially from a oncoming driver view they do not appear this blinding. Looks good though for the pattern and level they are set for at the moment. But if it appears that this is not the case, ie: getting flashed lots I can easily tweak them down in just a few secs with the built in adjuster knob!

fogproject25.jpg

fogproject26.jpg

fogproject27.jpg

Okay now that we have you all lined out, where do we mail our honeycomb covers for you to drill them out. Also need a parts list of of what to buy with price and where, a how to guide with diagram and any SWAG measurements.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

This project is just too cool, I was never to impressed with the GT-H inserts and all the problems everyone reported trying to use the template etc etc. This is such a great improvement over what you had. The silver cover just didn't do your car justice. This is impressive. I wish I was that creative.

GG

Okay now that we have you all lined out, where do we mail our honeycomb covers for you to drill them out. Also need a parts list of of what to by with price and where, a how to guide with diagram and any SWAG measurements.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

This project is just too cool, I was never to impressed with the GT-H inserts and all the problems everyone reported trying to use the template etc etc. This is such a great improvement over what you had. The silver cover just didn't do your car justice. This is impressive. I wish I was that creative.

GG

Well I will tell what we can do for all that want to do this mod. I can mail out the aluminum templates that I originally made, as they will lay out all the cutting. Once one person is done with the templates, then he can mail them off to the next guy that needs to use them and so on. The hardest thing is the hole saw size, its off the wall. The only reason I had what I needed is, that I have access to a $500 hole saw kit that has NUMEROUS sizes in it. This hole saw size is 3.75 inches. So if your able to obtain one of those, you can do this no problem. The lights I listed the link here in the thread to the ebay ones I bought. As far as the hardware I can get that lined out and show you how to lay that out also. Not too hard, and the wiring is a piece of cake also. Just add on to existing wiring with some Red#18 spade connectors, slide them onto the bulb connectors and tape it up all nice. Your good to go.

Stormracer,

Can I call debs on the templates. 7 Trendy Ridge, Texarkana, AR 71854 I have someone that can do the cut outs for me and I'll mail them back to you or forward to the next forum member that wants them. I've got an electrical tech that works for me that is very creative. I'll have him do it and install the lights and connect the wiring.

:mail: GG

Sorry Rich,

Typing on a netbook while watching a netflix movie, corrected my spelling error.

:finger: GG

Archived