TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Five Oh B has a new Five Oh again...

Five Oh B

Found a few days this year to dragrace my 5.0L. It went as quick as 12.15 in the 1/4 mile, and trap speeds in the 115-117 mph range. I just had 4.56 gears installed 2 weeks ago - talk about a high-strung beast on the street! Here's a couple recent pics....

P7170035.jpg

P7170039.jpg

photo-9.jpg

Good to hear from you Brian and even better to hear that you are keeping busy. Tana & I are also very busy these days as well. Work, Grand kids and family keeps us busy. We enjoyed the 82 dry spell streak and now that the rains are here Tana & I winterized our cars.

003-7.jpg

David is doing very well, He graduates from HS in the Spring and is trying to finish up his AA degree at Clark college before he leaves in June.

002-2.jpg

Tana & I are very proud of David....to say the least. Here are a few photos from our summer.

036.jpg

041.jpg

115.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

143.jpg

148.jpg

PPS - you've got a six speed manual? With 4.56?

Man - I've got 3.73's and first gear is quick. I can't imagine your gears.....

I had 3.73's originally and made about 100 passes at the track this year. The 4.56's just went in. I've only made a few runs with them in the car, and I'm learning to shift all over again since the gears go by so quickly! My 60' is much better now (best of 1.68, with most in the 1.70 - 1.75 range). I run a pretty tall tire (28" tall drag radials for race day and 29" tall tires on the street), so the 4.56's are managable. On the street I often start in 2nd gear with the extra gear.

I've always been a believer in big gears. Gears, by definition, are a torque multiplier. I had 4.10's in my '07 GT, 4.30's in my '03 Mach 1, etc. They make the car so entertaining on the street; I highly recommend them!

5 OH

Good to hear from you don`t be a stranger around here always enjoyed your posts . Good luck with the11`on the strip.

Thanks! I'm gonna try to set aside some time to spend more time around here. There are so many good people here!

While I've been away from Team Shelby, I've still been involved with GT500's. I've changed roles a couple of times in the past couple years at the Ford dealership where I work, but I've remained the SVT Sales Director for our store since 2002, so I'm very actively involved in ordering every Shelby we sell and meeting with those customers. I don't know that I'll ever be able to afford a new Shelby so I was thrilled to have our first '13 GT500 customer let me take his car out for a drive with him riding shotgun egging me on to explore it's capabilities.

Grabber, nice pics of the family! We're very proud of David, as well. We pray he stays safe in his travels! Good to see you, Tana, David, and Harley are well.

My girls are 20 and 19 now. My 20 year old finished her AA and trained to be a dental assistant and got a job right out of school in her field. My 19 year old graduated from HS in June and is now training to be an EMT, then will go on to become a paramedic after that.

Shirley and I have continued hiking and climbing smaller mountains and also took up bicycling this year to get in shape. We learned to love biking while in the Netherlands a couple years ago as we rode around the Dutch countryside.

Time with friends and family means more and more as the years pass. Glad to see some familiar faces are still here at Team Shelby!

• 3 weeks later...

Grabber, nice pics of the family! We're very proud of David, as well. We pray he stays safe in his travels! Good to see you, Tana, David, and Harley are well.

My girls are 20 and 19 now. My 20 year old finished her AA and trained to be a dental assistant and got a job right out of school in her field. My 19 year old graduated from HS in June and is now training to be an EMT, then will go on to become a paramedic after that.

Shirley and I have continued hiking and climbing smaller mountains and also took up bicycling this year to get in shape. We learned to love biking while in the Netherlands a couple years ago as we rode around the Dutch countryside.

Time with friends and family means more and more as the years pass. Glad to see some familiar faces are still here at Team Shelby!

Have you changed shifters?

The OEM shifter in my car is not consistently accurate.

• 2 years later...

2.5 years since I've posted here. Where has all the time gone? I've got lots of excuses why I've been away, but none of them are good excuses. Work, family, and life have all been so busy. Lots of blessings have come my way while I was away from here. Still very active at our local drag strips, but have a different toy since I was last here. My Sterling Grey '11 Brembo GT Mustang was replaced with a Ruby Red '14 Glass Roof GT Mustang.

First drag race day of the season was last weekend at Bremerton Raceway. Ran a best of 11.57 @ 117 + mph. Engine is 100% stock down to the paper air filter in the stock airbox. Suspension is also 100% factory stock. The magic is in the drivetrain & tuning. I'm reluctant to install a rollbar, which is required if the car runs 11.49 or quicker, so I'm done modding this car (for now). Here's how it looks on race wheels....

6A5438E5-B365-47DB-8CB6-AE2449812597_zps

67E9C2F2-9C3C-40C5-8C9C-98A85C730395_zps

My wife was kind enough to video some of my runs on Saturday. Here's my 11.57 pass (as I lose to a Super Pro Nova sporting a parachute that went 9.09 against me)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQfDgh9lXEw

And, another run against a '55 Chevy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c72EySL4Ghc

As always, my "race car" is also my daily driver. For daily driving, I run '10 GT500 19x9.5 wheels (refinished locally in silver and with pony center caps) on Eagle F1 SuperCar Assymetric all season tires. Car is super civilized, despite running mid-11's in the 1/4 mile....

photo_zps9b8d6b0c.jpg

Brian Good to hear from you & some awesome runs Thanks for sharing . Just one question is the auto tranny stock or have you done some work on it. I noticed that you really launch well.

Don`t be a stranger ya hear.

Brian Good to hear from you & some awesome runs Thanks for sharing . Just one question is the auto tranny stock or have you done some work on it. I noticed that you really launch well.

Don`t be a stranger ya hear.

Thank you! Transmission is factory stock - except for Circle-D 4E stall converter that flashes to 5,000 rpm's and custom tuning by Mike Rousch at Mid-Atlantic Performance to make it shift and lock up ideally. Car also has 4.10 gears and really sticky M/T ET Street Drag Radials, so it launches hard for a street car (sixty foot times are in the 1.61 - 1.65 range consistently). Surprisingly, I haven't touched the factory suspension at all. I haven't even disconnected the front sway bar, which would likely get my sixty foot times into the 1.5's. Car is very heavy (3800+ lbs with me in it on race days) as it's a glass roof premium coupe with shaker stereo, factory nav, dual power heated seats, etc. I did a lot of research to learn which parts really offer performance gains so I could avoid wasting money on stuff that is just shiny and pretty. I'm very happy with the results.

Thank you! Transmission is factory stock - except for Circle-D 4E stall converter that flashes to 5,000 rpm's and custom tuning by Mike Rousch at Mid-Atlantic Performance to make it shift and lock up ideally. Car also has 4.10 gears and really sticky M/T ET Street Drag Radials, so it launches hard for a street car (sixty foot times are in the 1.61 - 1.65 range consistently). Surprisingly, I haven't touched the factory suspension at all. I haven't even disconnected the front sway bar, which would likely get my sixty foot times into the 1.5's. Car is very heavy (3800+ lbs with me in it on race days) as it's a glass roof premium coupe with shaker stereo, factory nav, dual power heated seats, etc. I did a lot of research to learn which parts really offer performance gains so I could avoid wasting money on stuff that is just shiny and pretty. I'm very happy with the results.

Ya sorry for the question I hadn`t read red portion below that describes it until after I posted. I guess your next toy will have to be the G.T 350, 5.0 flat crank.

Ruf, I was so happy to see that you're still here posting away in "Ruf's Garage". 1.3 million views! You are an icon!

Hey, bro! I ain't goin' nowhere! Great to see you back and having more fun! Keep us updated! Love your new one! What kind of axle backs do you have? Search on YouTube for Rufstang cold start to here mine.

I guess your next toy will have to be the G.T 350, 5.0 flat crank.

I've given thought to a GT350, and am at a point in my life to afford one now that my girls are grown up, but I sure love drag racing and that wouldn't be fair to do to a Shelby (which belongs on a road course). I absolutely dig the new GT350, though!

Hey, bro! I ain't goin' nowhere! Great to see you back and having more fun! Keep us updated! Love your new one! What kind of axle backs do you have? Search on YouTube for Rufstang cold start to here mine.

I'm running stock exhaust manifolds, an O/R H-pipe, and GT500 axlebacks. A little loud, but definitely wicked sounding and I get lots of looks and compliments. I couldn't find the Rufstang on YouTube. Have a link handy?

Funny guy, Rob! How's life in beautiful Battleground? Tana & David doing well?

Brian,

Battle Ground WA is great. We took our cars on a long group drive with the local Mustang club last month. David is doing great and has been in the Army National Guard for 2 years now. He is a Human Intelligence Collector. He moved out over a year ago. He also totaled his 96 GT but did not get hurt. The airbag did its job. Tana & I just returned from 12 days in Oahu (photos on FB) and it was so fun. I gave my 2 week notice to Skanska recently and start a new career after 26 years and 4 months of working for the same company. I am so excited and motivated. More info on that change in this thread: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/54061-the-countdown-to-retirement/page-13?do=findComment&comment=1605171

I'm running stock exhaust manifolds, an O/R H-pipe, and GT500 axlebacks. A little loud, but definitely wicked sounding and I get lots of looks and compliments. I couldn't find the Rufstang on YouTube. Have a link handy?

Yup!

Archived