TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Long tube headers, a matter of preference ?

1 Alibi 2

Looked @ previous posts that didn't answer my question................................2011 Gt 500..

By the time I get to the headers, the motor mods will already be there. ( M-6066-MSVT29D )

Two respected east coast tuners, Evolution Performance, Pa. & Lethal Performance, Fla., use ( American Racing Headers )

Have read very favorable reports on Kooks headers..............

..................& is anybody using FRPP # M-9430-CL ( off road only, not street legal ) 1 7/8" od primary ???

Depending on where you buy & some come with " X " pipes.....................$ 1100 - 1700..........................looking for a quality product, max hp gains ( all 3 offer 1 7/8" primaries, which is what I'm looking for )

Looking for opinions.....................based on experience..................thanks.

I cannot comment on the best performing, but to throw a monkey wrench in the mix, I have heard good things about the Dynatech's. I also read on here somewhere that the Dynatech's are the only headers that dont need to be loosened or removed to get the transmission out. I'll see if I can dig up the threads

Shane

I cannot comment on the best performing, but to throw a monkey wrench in the mix, I have heard good things about the Dynatech's. I also read on here somewhere that the Dynatech's are the only headers that dont need to be loosened or removed to get the transmission out. I'll see if I can dig up the threads

Shane

American Racing Headers allow the transmission to be serviced while in place.

American Racing Headers allow the transmission to be serviced while in place.

I spoke with Fred at Evolution Perf on this subject and he sold me on the Stainless Works 1-7/8" long tube headers for the '11 GT500. He said they were the only ones that were custom designed to fit the '11 alum block which has additional webbing and a revised oil cooler location. They aren't cheap but seem to be a very high quality product. I am also having mine Jet Hot Silver ceramic coated so it will be about 3 weeks before I get them.

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php?cPath=481_316_551

it is $2050 w/ shipping for the the set ceramic coated with cats

I'm still wearing the new-car smell off of my 2011 and haven't gotten into the mod fever yet. Can someone comment on the power gains from the long-tube headers? My past experience with modding has been 1960's-vintage cars that were naturally aspirated. Headers had to be accompanied by a more radical cam and a re-jetted carb to really make appreciably more power. I always leaned towards low-revving (5500 or 6000 RPM redline) Olds/Pontiac big blocks, which made such insane torque that headers were a thing for my friends with small block Chevy's, where they excelled.

If you put the long-tube headers (or the shorty's for that matter) on an otherwise stock GT500, will there be gains? My instincts tell me that a SC engine is not particularly exhaust-flow sensitive unless you are cranking the boost or raisng the redline. I'd appreciate some guidance here.

I'm still wearing the new-car smell off of my 2011 and haven't gotten into the mod fever yet. Can someone comment on the power gains from the long-tube headers? My past experience with modding has been 1960's-vintage cars that were naturally aspirated. Headers had to be accompanied by a more radical cam and a re-jetted carb to really make appreciably more power. I always leaned towards low-revving (5500 or 6000 RPM redline) Olds/Pontiac big blocks, which made such insane torque that headers were a thing for my friends with small block Chevy's, where they excelled.

If you put the long-tube headers (or the shorty's for that matter) on an otherwise stock GT500, will there be gains? My instincts tell me that a SC engine is not particularly exhaust-flow sensitive unless you are cranking the boost or raisng the redline. I'd appreciate some guidance here.

Anytime you have a force induced engine, particularly, supercharged, good exhaust flow is imperative for best performance and HP. I have seen where the GT500 will pick up 30-50hp with full length headers and high flow 3" cats alone plus a LOT of additonal torque. Here is a quote from Justin at VPM tuning:

"Don't mess around with shorties. LTs produce 15-20RWHP and 15-20RWTQ gain on mild stock blower cars. 30-40RWHP and 20-30RWTQ gain on upgraded blower cars (TVS, KB, Whipple, at 18psi).

We run these same headers on our own 2007 TVS Supercharged GT500 that makes over 750RWHP. We installed these headers and saw a huge gain from 3000RPM on up, even though we already had shorties and high flow cats (which were 20-30RWHP over stock manifolds and stock cats). "

Looked @ previous posts that didn't answer my question................................2011 Gt 500..

By the time I get to the headers, the motor mods will already be there. ( M-6066-MSVT29D )

Two respected east coast tuners, Evolution Performance, Pa. & Lethal Performance, Fla., use ( American Racing Headers )

Have read very favorable reports on Kooks headers..............

..................& is anybody using FRPP # M-9430-CL ( off road only, not street legal ) 1 7/8" od primary ???

Depending on where you buy & some come with " X " pipes.....................$ 1100 - 1700..........................looking for a quality product, max hp gains ( all 3 offer 1 7/8" primaries, which is what I'm looking for )

Looking for opinions.....................based on experience..................thanks.

Call Nick @ ARH and tell him Eric said to take care of you and Oldsmobile 442's are really slow!

I'm pretty sure the 65 Old's 442 W-30 was the quickest production car that year running mid 12's

Nick and I go back 20 yrs. I had a 70 442 runnin mid 10's and Nick, at one point ,had the fastest Oldsmobile in the country on a 10.5 tire. I also had a wicked 87 442 set up for the street. Nick help me build both cars and is an all around terrific guy.

Here is an article in Hot Rod Magazine that features my 70 442 and how Nick got started in the exhaust business.

http://www.timskelton.com/valkyrie/tech/images/h_pipes.pdf

Anytime you have a force induced engine, particularly, supercharged, good exhaust flow is imperative for best performance and HP. I have seen where the GT500 will pick up 30-50hp with full length headers and high flow 3" cats alone plus a LOT of additonal torque. Here is a quote from Justin at VPM tuning:

"Don't mess around with shorties. LTs produce 15-20RWHP and 15-20RWTQ gain on mild stock blower cars. 30-40RWHP and 20-30RWTQ gain on upgraded blower cars (TVS, KB, Whipple, at 18psi).

We run these same headers on our own 2007 TVS Supercharged GT500 that makes over 750RWHP. We installed these headers and saw a huge gain from 3000RPM on up, even though we already had shorties and high flow cats (which were 20-30RWHP over stock manifolds and stock cats). "

I have Dynatech headers on my '11 GT500 engine. I bought the car from a guy residing in Alabama. He had Justin heavily modify the engine. Those Dynatechs work fairly well.

Honestly I dont know why anyone would do headers!

For quality pieces that are coated and don't have any fitment issues you will be looking at around $1500-$2000 including the price of the mid-pipe.

Then the install is going to be an incredible PIA, be prepared to spend 7-8 hours( its not as simple as the 3V 4.6L where all you had to do was drop the k-member).

Your car is going to be obnoxiously loud and if you are lowered you will have to worry about scrapping on inclines.

All for what a 30-40 rwhp gain? No thanks!

Archived