TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 & HPDE's

Roush GR40

I am looking for some feedback from forum particpants on the GT-500's manners on track..at speed, in corners and braking zones. Also, has anyone run R compund tires at the track..if so, what brand and size? Any input would be greatly appreciated to help me make the right decision.

I am looking for some feedback from forum particpants on the GT-500's manners on track..at speed, in corners and braking zones. Also, has anyone run R compund tires at the track..if so, what brand and size? Any input would be greatly appreciated to help me make the right decision.

I ran VIR full course with SVTPP setup/tires on a 48-56 degree day.

Brakes are solid, no fading, plenty of stopping power, minimal dive.

Cornering was very very good. The instructor I had who had a race prepped BMW E30 there used the words "wow, i'm really impressed with the suspension in this car". Was very manageable and predictable even under power. Highest speed on the long stretch after the Oaktree turn was 150-155. The back stretch I saw 130-135 consistently. Tires were consistent during 3 30 minute runs, although the 2nd 2 runs were about 55-56 degrees compared to the morning run and the tires had full grip.

Steering was very smooth and responsive. Noticed very little if any understeer and the effort felt right for the different speeds.

Without the instructor checking off on my abilities and holding me back in several spots (let me run at full potential last run) I could have pushed even harder in most turns and still maintained control.

I never went 2 or 4 off the whole time and the few times i did break the back end loose under a hard turn the car was very easy to get under control using steering and throttle inputs.

Was a cool day and I have the cooler running TVS on there, had no issues with temperature or loss of power. Car pulled as hard at 30 min into session as it did the first minute.

I used 1/4 tank of gas each 30 min session.

Seats were comfortable and held me in place pretty well, although I would have like a better restraint system just to take some effort off my arms in really hard cornering.

Hope thats enough feedback.

I ran VIR full course with SVTPP setup/tires on a 48-56 degree day.

Brakes are solid, no fading, plenty of stopping power, minimal dive.

Cornering was very very good. The instructor I had who had a race prepped BMW E30 there used the words "wow, i'm really impressed with the suspension in this car". Was very manageable and predictable even under power. Highest speed on the long stretch after the Oaktree turn was 150-155. The back stretch I saw 130-135 consistently. Tires were consistent during 3 30 minute runs, although the 2nd 2 runs were about 55-56 degrees compared to the morning run and the tires had full grip.

Steering was very smooth and responsive. Noticed very little if any understeer and the effort felt right for the different speeds.

Without the instructor checking off on my abilities and holding me back in several spots (let me run at full potential last run) I could have pushed even harder in most turns and still maintained control.

I never went 2 or 4 off the whole time and the few times i did break the back end loose under a hard turn the car was very easy to get under control using steering and throttle inputs.

Was a cool day and I have the cooler running TVS on there, had no issues with temperature or loss of power. Car pulled as hard at 30 min into session as it did the first minute.

I used 1/4 tank of gas each 30 min session.

Seats were comfortable and held me in place pretty well, although I would have like a better restraint system just to take some effort off my arms in really hard cornering.

Hope thats enough feedback.

Thanks very much for the very thorough feedback...does indeed sound like the GT500 is a very track worthy vehicle. Are you running stock brake pads and tires? If so, have you looked into any options to help improve braking and cornering.

Thanks very much for the very thorough feedback...does indeed sound like the GT500 is a very track worthy vehicle. Are you running stock brake pads and tires? If so, have you looked into any options to help improve braking and cornering.

when the stock pads are done, ii'll be getting some hawk pads, but no rush. These really are great as they are.

Tires, i'll replace these with more of the same when they wear out. Overall a great tire if you head the warning and don't push it when its cold. Not for drag racing, but track work, yes.

All out track prep, r compound tires, race pads, I guess i might do that if I had access to a lot more track days than 2-3 a year.

Archived