TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tattoos

OK, so maybe it`s a midlife thingy? After all, I did just turn the big Five Ohhh!!

I`ve been carrying around a custom design that a graphix artist friend of mine drew up, about 13 years ago for me. It`s been in my sock/underwear drawer for all that time. To go on record...Gina has constantly told me, ``I dunno why you would want to do that to yourself?!`` Again, for the record, it`s a drawing of a combination of several different logos that the 1970`s band E.L.O. (Electric Light Orchestra) used over the years. He took several different album covers from me and designed an altogether different , yet very cool design that I wanted to put on the outside of my right ankle.

They are my all time favorite band and I listen to their music constantly! Their music takes me to a higher plain, and back to the simpler days...at least simpler for me?

In the last few years, I`ve been to several Tattoo artists both in Az. and Toronto, while we lived up there. They all tell me that if the detail I am expecting, is tattooed too small, it will fade or haze over time, and their work could essentially look bad. None of them has been willing to do what I want exactly. That`s been the essence of the reason for not doing it...I`m the customer, and want what I want, but on the other hand, they`re the artist and if it ends up looking like $%/&*, their reputation is at stake. ????? Hmmmm. So, I have never done it.

Any thoughts? I just put on my fire suit!! :hysterical: Bring it on!

BIKEBOY

I would agree with them that the more detail you want in one requires a larger area.

I'll warn you now, they become an addiction. :banghead:

For some the 2nd, 3rd, etc.... happens not long after the first. Others it takes years before the 2nd, 3rd, etc... Not many settle on just one. :confused:

It took me ~15 years from 1st - 2nd, then over the next 2 years went to 5. It's been a few years since my last and I can' wait for # 6 (just haven't found the right design yet) :headscratch:

I have 24

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Chris please tell me that`s a NASCAR number that you have, or something, on your forearm.......................and NOT the total number of tattoos on your body???????? :doh:

:hysterical2:

The last one...the grille horse...looks like it`s on a pregnant belly!!!!!! :hysterical: :happy feet:

I gotta say though, very cool!

Safe to also say, you won`t be wander`n into any Chevy store to buy a Crapmaro anytime soon?!!!! :hysterical:

BikeBoy he said he had 24 he showed us four maybe the other 20 are Chevy`s.

It would take for ever to take pics of all of them, up load them all, and then post links. I would never, ever, ever put on my body, any garbage to deal with GM, Chrysler, or any other car manufacturer besides Ford/Shelby. I have been thinking about having the entire Terlingua Racing Team crest tattoo'd on the remainder of my back that is not covered already. I got my first tat as soon as I turned 18, I am now 32. The same guy has done them all besides 1 (the only one I don't care for much.)

I have some tats to represent me being a fire fighter. some are of skulls, and demons and stuff. I have a tribal tornado on my right upper arm. One is of a tribal eagle head that I got to commemorate 911. They all have some meaning would take forever again to describe them all.

this is my favorite tat that I have. I got my daughters name when she was born, and I later added a copy of the foot print that was taken at birth.

http://i229.photobuc.../1298429169.jpg

Chris

What? Chris has tatoos???? Who knew :hysterical:

I to have thought about it, but its hard for me to think of something I want on my body for all time. I could do my kids names or the running pony logo, but thats about it. I just always seem to find something else to spend the money on.

It would take for ever to take pics of all of them, up load them all, and then post links. I would never, ever, ever put on my body, any garbage to deal with GM, Chrysler, or any other car manufacturer besides Ford/Shelby. I have been thinking about having the entire Terlingua Racing Team crest tattoo'd on the remainder of my back that is not covered already. I got my first tat as soon as I turned 18, I am now 32. The same guy has done them all besides 1 (the only one I don't care for much.)

I have some tats to represent me being a fire fighter. some are of skulls, and demons and stuff. I have a tribal tornado on my right upper arm. One is of a tribal eagle head that I got to commemorate 911. They all have some meaning would take forever again to describe them all.

this is my favorite tat that I have. I got my daughters name when she was born, and I later added a copy of the foot print that was taken at birth.

http://i229.photobuc.../1298429169.jpg

Chris

Aaaawwww, that's so bitchin'! Part of me has to say though........................even as a toddler, she was walkin' all over ya!!! :hysterical:

Thanks for the responses already guys. But, I must ask, is anyone worried about the safety / hygene / disease issue?

BIKEBOY

From a proper tat shop no not worried! A real shop will have an autoclave to strerilze the equipment and use disposable containers for the ink and etc...

From tat parties, or the backyard artist YES, very WORRIED!

I have a half sleeve, it started small and grew. In fact my Dad got his 1st at 50, now at 57 he has a half sleeve and his entire back covered. As for safety, it really depends on the shop. You should ask around about quality shops and then interview the artist. Ask about how the needles are cleaned (if they are not using a autoclave walk away). Depending on the state the shop will have to register with the state health dept and are subject to inspections. Also ask how the artist how he got started. The artist I go to went to collage to be a graphic artist and then worked in NY. He gave up the cube zoo and started teaching himself to tattoo which included studying skin and all it's variations.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt63/EL_SHLB/26e76fd8.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt63/EL_SHLB/c9481771.jpg

The Koi fish represents good fortune (fortune = family) the dragon represents me protecting my fortune. The Lion represents my father. I then have couple of cherry blossoms crossed with a ribbon and birth dates of my godson & daughter. I plan to added a Phoenix to my back to represent my wife. It's a long but interesting story as to how I chose these symbols which includes a business trip to China.

Well, this is America and all but I, for one just don't get it with the tattoos. I know this will sound like criticism to some and I don't mean it as such, but I have never felt one twinge of any kind of an emotion that would even make me think about a tattoo. I have always wondered what thought process goes into the decision to get one. I am sure there is one (and would like to hear what it is - all part of living and learning). Obviously there is something out there I am missing because many folks have taken the plunge. Just does not resonate with me.

Jim

Jim, your view of tattoos is not negagtive nor offensive.

What drew me to tattoos was the art and history of it. For others tattoos are no different then buying a trendy pair of shoes. There are a lot of really bad tattoos and tattoos that simply reflect the more seedy and uneducated side of society, but then they are a part of a culture that many do not associate with or realate to and that can turn some people off which is perfectly understandable.

There is a very rich and colorful history to Tattoos from the around the world. In Japan the traditional tattoo suit was a way for the working class to have a colorful 'suit' of clothing. In Thialand tattoos take on spiritual meaning and are given by the Buddist Monks and are only given if the Monk feels you are worthy.

Thanks for the responses already guys. But, I must ask, is anyone worried about the safety / hygene / disease issue?

BIKEBOY

Hep C (the silent killer)

My brother-in-law and his 2 brothers got a tattoo when he joined the Navy in 77. All 3 suffered from Hep C. One dead at 47. One liver transplant at 46 and on his death bed at 50. The other 52 and scared to death, but lucky.

I have no desire. Clean tat shop or not.

Wow Peter...that is sorta scary!!

EL, those look incredibly detailed, and very colorful. It's a bit more than I had in mind, but nonetheless your artist is extremely talented!

Jim, I hear ya....I thought as a young guy that only biker trash had tattoos. I'm still not totally on board with it yet. I just really wanted and respect everyone's thoughts?

My wife is totally against this, but says it's my body.

Wow Peter...that is sorta scary!!

EL, those look incredibly detailed, and very colorful. It's a bit more than I had in mind, but nonetheless your artist is extremely talented!

Jim, I hear ya....I thought as a young guy that only biker trash had tattoos. I'm still not totally on board with it yet. I just really wanted and respect everyone's thoughts?

My wife is totally against this, but says it's my body.

I don't have any and dont like them. I waiting for when the Government makes us have our SS# Tattooed on the Backs of our Necks................................

I don't have any and dont like them. I waiting for when the Government makes us have our SS# Tattooed on the Backs of our Necks................................

They're not gonna use a SS#.....too dangerous these days with identity theft. It'll be a bar code!!! :hysterical:

Archived