TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tattoos

Hep C (the silent killer)

My brother-in-law and his 2 brothers got a tattoo when he joined the Navy in 77. All 3 suffered from Hep C. One dead at 47. One liver transplant at 46 and on his death bed at 50. The other 52 and scared to death, but lucky.

I have no desire. Clean tat shop or not.

+1

My liver doc told me that tattoos are a major spreader of Hep C. No tattoos for me.

+1

My liver doc told me that tattoos are a major spreader of Hep C. No tattoos for me.

redcard.gif Its not the tat that causes Hep C, its the dirty needle that causes it. Hence the reason for picking a good, clean shop. Did your liver doc advise against drinking too, since it is the major cause of Cirrhosis? Not trying to pic a fight, but come on, really. You are more likely to die in a plane crash than to get Hep C from a tat.

Chris

redcard.gif Its not the tat that causes Hep C, its the dirty needle that causes it. Hence the reason for picking a good, clean shop. Did your liver doc advise against drinking too, since it is the major cause of Cirrhosis? Not trying to pic a fight, but come on, really. You are more likely to die in a plane crash than to get Hep C from a tat.

Chris

I know the tat does not cause the Hep C. I'm not a moron. It's from contaminated needles.

The American liver foundation says that Tattoos are one of the risk factors and so does my doctor, who is a liver transplant surgeon. And yes, my doc told me not to drink, too.

I have no problem with tattoos, I'm just trying to convey that you need to be careful who you choose to do it. There was also an outpatient center in Las Vegas that was reusing needles and that caused a major hep C outbreak. You never know...

From the American Liver foundation:

Who is at risk of having hepatitis C?

Anyone whose blood has come in direct contact with HCV-infected blood is at risk.

• Have ever injected or inhaled drugs (even once)
  • Received a blood transfusion or organ transplant before July 1992
  • Received a clotting factor made before 1987
  • Have ever been on hemodialysis
  • Have had abnormal ALT levels several times (on blood test results)
  • Have ever worked or come in contact with infected needles or blood
  • Have ever worked or been housed in a prison
  • Were born to an HCV-infected mother
  • Have HIV
  • Have ever had unprotected sex (with multiple partners)
  • Have ever had a sexually transmitted disease
  • Have ever had tattoos or body piercings

No tats.

Could never decide on what to have inked.

Clean all over.

Well, there is that dirty mind of yours. :hysterical: Sorry, but it was SUCH an opening and you hardly ever leave one. All the best.

Jim

Edit: My emoticon did not "take" the first time.

Well, there is that dirty mind of yours. :hysterical: Sorry, but it was SUCH an opening and you hardly ever leave one. All the best.

Jim

Edit: My emoticon did not "take" the first time.

:hysterical: +1...yeah Ruf , that was a little too much information, eh?

I'm all about tats, I got my first one at 16, yes my parent s had to sign the consent form. I joined the Navy but never got one while I was in, kind of funny now that I think about it.

However, my next one will be a pretty large one on my back of my FMF warfare device that I earned while serving with Marines, one of my proudest moments.

Here is what I will be getting once I find the right artist that can do black and shades with fine lines.

FMFRP2b.jpg

Like them....Got my first one when I was 57 years old since I was into vettes for the last 20+ years it was the C-5 logo...next one was an Eagle with the American Flag...The Last one was TCB with the lightning bolt..One of Elvis's logo.....Still thinking of the next one. Thinking of the Cobra Snake.....

Archived