TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Glad this one is behind me

2010 and 48 are behind me and none too soon. I have not posted much over the last year, and have had little free time for my car hobby, although I have lurked through most lunch hours.

2010 sucked. The economy finally caught up with me, and in a number of instances my clients problems became my problems when I had too many people who could not pay. The end of 2010 was the worst 3 month period I have had in my practice over 10 years. I have held on to just about everything I consider important (so far, and knock wood) but 2010 was most definitely not fun. 2011 is off to a better start.

I turn 49 today, so I will spend the next 12 months with the big "five o" looming in the horizon. I will not go quietly. One big positive of the last year is changes in my health. I have been pretty active with my kids in sports and coaching and playing raquetball, but that is not enough "real" exercise to stay fit. In May 2010 I refereed a soccer game and ended up short of breath and feeling crappy. I felt lousy enough that I went to the doctor, who told me I had asthma. At 48? I had never had asthma symptoms before. My doctor commented on my weight, as I had steadily gained over the last 15 years, and told me I would probably feel better if I wasn't overweight. In late June I decided to do something about it by eating better and getting regular exercise. I started June 26 at 5'9'' and 211 pounds. I hiked and jogged and ate better. By November my weight was down to 165 and I felt and looked better than I had in 20 years. I have since dialed back a bit on the exercise and resumed most of my normal eating habits, but with smaller portions and better choices, and since early November to date my weight has stayed between 163 and 167. In coaching baseball and soccer I no longer have any trouble keeping up with the kids when I am on the field with them, and I will head to 50 in better shape than I was at 40 or at 30.

I am looking forward to the rest of 2011, and knowing that as I head to 50 I have done something to hold off the effects of aging makes it a little easier to take.

Hey Bob...still yet another Aquarian. I turned it (50) last Tuesday the 15th. It was tough for me too, but I thankfully have a very active healthy lifestyle, and so far...knock wood, have been lucky and feel great! Keep it up my man! The kids need you around for many many years to come!

Happy Birthday!

BIKEBOY

Happy Birthday,Bob and really enjoy the day!! Having passed that milestone many years ago ( 62 in March ) I can only attest that your best years are yet to come!!! You will feel like fine wine!!! Really take the time to fully enjoy your family!! :beerchug:

2010 and 48 are behind me and none too soon. I have not posted much over the last year, and have had little free time for my car hobby, although I have lurked through most lunch hours.

2010 sucked. The economy finally caught up with me, and in a number of instances my clients problems became my problems when I had too many people who could not pay. The end of 2010 was the worst 3 month period I have had in my practice over 10 years. I have held on to just about everything I consider important (so far, and knock wood) but 2010 was most definitely not fun. 2011 is off to a better start.

I turn 49 today, so I will spend the next 12 months with the big "five o" looming in the horizon. I will not go quietly. One big positive of the last year is changes in my health. I have been pretty active with my kids in sports and coaching and playing raquetball, but that is not enough "real" exercise to stay fit. In May 2010 I refereed a soccer game and ended up short of breath and feeling crappy. I felt lousy enough that I went to the doctor, who told me I had asthma. At 48? I had never had asthma symptoms before. My doctor commented on my weight, as I had steadily gained over the last 15 years, and told me I would probably feel better if I wasn't overweight. In late June I decided to do something about it by eating better and getting regular exercise. I started June 26 at 5'9'' and 211 pounds. I hiked and jogged and ate better. By November my weight was down to 165 and I felt and looked better than I had in 20 years. I have since dialed back a bit on the exercise and resumed most of my normal eating habits, but with smaller portions and better choices, and since early November to date my weight has stayed between 163 and 167. In coaching baseball and soccer I no longer have any trouble keeping up with the kids when I am on the field with them, and I will head to 50 in better shape than I was at 40 or at 30.

I am looking forward to the rest of 2011, and knowing that as I head to 50 I have done something to hold off the effects of aging makes it a little easier to take.

Your a better man than me I need a complete over haul myself but have no drive for it and diets don't work for me even eating healthy. I have that italian gene that if you smell food you gain 10pds. For me to lean out is only by me going into the gym and doing cardio since 2007 my wgt has gone up to 287 the most I ever weighted. Before 07 my wgt was 225-230 but mostly muscle mass went to the gym sometimes 6 days a week for 2hr or more lifting heavy and then finish with an hour of cardio 3x's a week I would bike ride after all that. I still had to diet to keep lean with all that. But worth to look good and feel good more muscle mass less bone mass you lose you keep up with just hitting weights 3x's a week go every other day. My problem is picking up germs at the gym since my inmune system is shot even with gloves on and spraying the equipment down within 2 to 3 weeks. I'm sick in bed with a nasty sinus infection. I have met guys and ladys who wouldn't look there age from eating healthy and hitting the weights. My wife take ALLI to keep the weight off she eats junk all day never gains a pound. But it up its good for the mind !!!

Archived