TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whipple 2.9 + L&M = No idle

oliver1539

Just thought I would ask some of the experts on here if anyone has ever had this problem. I ran the stage 2 kit from Lethal (JLT) with the L&M 66 and the car ran beautiful, no issues with idle or throttle response. After running this kit for a year I wanted more power so I purchased the Whipple 2.9 from Lethal two weeks ago and had my local installer bolt on the new power. However, after down loading the new tune I took the car out for a spin to realize it would die at every stop light and every time I pushed the clutch in? I drove the car back to my installer to check for a vacum leak or maybe something left off.

We are working with Lund to see if it's a tune issue or maybe the spring in the L&M, does this sound familiar with anyone? I'm sure it's something simple, just sucks to have the car still sitting at the installer's bay 3 days later....

Thanks, Steve O.

Just thought I would ask some of the experts on here if anyone has ever had this problem. I ran the stage 2 kit from Lethal (JLT) with the L&M 66 and the car ran beautiful, no issues with idle or throttle response. After running this kit for a year I wanted more power so I purchased the Whipple 2.9 from Lethal two weeks ago and had my local installer bolt on the new power. However, after down loading the new tune I took the car out for a spin to realize it would die at every stop light and every time I pushed the clutch in? I drove the car back to my installer to check for a vacum leak or maybe something left off.

We are working with Lund to see if it's a tune issue or maybe the spring in the L&M, does this sound familiar with anyone? I'm sure it's something simple, just sucks to have the car still sitting at the installer's bay 3 days later....

Thanks, Steve O.

That's most likely the problem. Many (not all) tuners tweak the mass-air transfer curve to adjust A/Fs and then the curve no longer reflects the MAF's actual flow rate across engine speeds. Also, if the tune you downloaded was intended for the Whipple mono, it is thoroughly unsiutable for the L&M (or the stocker or the CJ) which were developed to be consistent with the baseline factory TB calibration. If you try the stock TB and you have similar problem, that would validate it's most likely the tune. Hope you get it worked out.

Had a similar issue when i first bought an LM. Car dynoed fine and went about 10miles before it went into limp mode with tb stuck shut. Think i had a bad gear set or something. Guys at lm had me check a few things and ship it back and i had a new one in no time. I would try stock tb to see if it works or not. I know it sucks but these things happen and lethal and lm will take care of you.

Ok lets look at this logically

The car worked with no issues until a NEW TUNE and NEW BLOWER where put on and in the car .

It could be many things but the first and two most probable causes is a air leak some where between the CAI and the blower (Whipple does need a gasket in-between the TB and the blower inlet, would double check that area)

If its not an air leak I would for sure look at the tune.

Not always will a tune issue show up with a stock TB(Less airflow) If a mass air meter curve is off it might work with stock TB but not a TB the flows more air.

If there is any question with the TB send it back we would be more then happy to test it.

Ok lets look at this logically

The car worked with no issues until a NEW TUNE and NEW BLOWER where put on and in the car .

It could be many things but the first and two most probable causes is a air leak some where between the CAI and the blower (Whipple does need a gasket in-between the TB and the blower inlet, would double check that area)

If its not an air leak I would for sure look at the tune.

Not always will a tune issue show up with a stock TB(Less airflow) If a mass air meter curve is off it might work with stock TB but not a TB the flows more air.

If there is any question with the TB send it back we would be more then happy to test it.

Thanks for all the replies! There is a gasket between between the Whipple and TB. We took the CAI off checked all the clamps and reinstalled it. The car idled great until I drove it, then it would die again at stop lights so I drove it back home and pulled it in the garage and it began to idle again?? I sent Lund an email so hopefuly I hear something from him soon....

Some people thought it could be a spring issue, if this were the case wouldn't the TB have acted up on the stock blower?

Thanks everyone!

Thanks, Steve O.

Did you put a bead of silicon sealer on the bottom o ring before installing the 2.9 a must do on a 2.9

Thanks for all the replies! There is a gasket between between the Whipple and TB. We took the CAI off checked all the clamps and reinstalled it. The car idled great until I drove it, then it would die again at stop lights so I drove it back home and pulled it in the garage and it began to idle again?? I sent Lund an email so hopefuly I hear something from him soon....

Some people thought it could be a spring issue, if this were the case wouldn't the TB have acted up on the stock blower?

Thanks everyone!

Correct ...not a spring issue -- unless you removed and reinstalled the TB electronics (servo and sensor) in between, which you didn't.

It's most likely the new tune or an airleak at the base of the 2.9.

Correct ...not a spring issue -- unless you removed and reinstalled the TB electronics (servo and sensor) in between, which you didn't.

It's most likely the new tune or an airleak at the base of the 2.9.

Glad to hear it's not the spring, I didn't think so since it worked flawless on the stock blower. The car has great boost, pegs the stock boost gauge! would a leak prevent that?

Update!

Thanks to Lee Blankenship at Lee's Performance for figuring out the problem. It was simply the setting on the Mafia. The Mafia was never set, he turned the setting to two (2) and it made the biggest difference in the car.

The car runs great and idles perfect now! He put it on the dyno and she put down 661RWHP/618TORQUE!

Thanks for all the replies, Steve O.

Just to let everyone know that Jon Lund is a stand up guy! He emailed me a new tune to tweak my Shelby if that was in fact the problem. I think this was great of him to do that even though it wasn't the tune that was the issue at all. It meant a lot to me that he did this. Just glad it all worked out!!

Steve O..

:yahoo:

Just to let everyone know that Jon Lund is a stand up guy! He emailed me a new tune to tweak my Shelby if that was in fact the problem. I think this was great of him to do that even though it wasn't the tune that was the issue at all. It meant a lot to me that he did this. Just glad it all worked out!!

Steve O..

:yahoo:

Steve, glad you found the problem! Didn't know you had a MAFia else that would have been on the 'list.' They work, but a properly sized sensor+tube (i.e. properly sized MAF) to support the target HP and accurately flow-mapped in the tune is a better solution, imo. The MAFia fakes out the computer by scaling the MAF return for a given flow, but then the tune must understand that -- else the tune and MAFia would not be using a mutually-correct flow/voltage map, hence the problem. Cheers... -Dan

Steve, glad you found the problem! Didn't know you had a MAFia else that would have been on the 'list.' They work, but a properly sized sensor+tube (i.e. properly sized MAF) to support the target HP and accurately flow-mapped in the tune is a better solution, imo. The MAFia fakes out the computer by scaling the MAF return for a given flow, but then the tune must understand that -- else the tune and MAFia would not be using a mutually-correct flow/voltage map, hence the problem. Cheers... -Dan

Dan, thanks for the help. I should have listed the Mafia in my mods, didn't realize how much that little sensor did!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in.. Have you had a chance to run our 2.9 at all?

How are you liking it?

We love the Whipple so far! It pulled 661rwhp/618trq. on stock fuel system with L&M TB and JLT cai. I purchased the 3.125 pulley (it came with 3.25) KB BAP and a revised tune from Lund. We are installing the goodies today and plan on having it on the dyno next week to see what the new gains are!

I must say Lund is great to work with, his costumer service is top notch. I'll post the new numbers ASAP!!

• 3 years later...

Thanks everyone!

If the L&M TB ran fine prior to your S/C change and your new tune obviously the new tune is the culprit. 1+1 = 2 its only logical.

Archived