TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Black convertible is home.

GT500FLYBOY

She's finally home. I'm just outside WDC and had a break in the weather yesterday. Rather than do the flatbed thing - I could drive it home in 50 degree weather. Good thing - I was going to wait until today and it's now in the 20s here. Then we're due some snow tomorrow and it won't get back into the 40s until next week. It had 3 miles on it to start and drove it 20 to get it into the garage. Here's the kicker - I ran the battery down playing with the top, and the Nav/stereo unit. It's charging now. That top draws a lot of amps...

This is a lifelong dream for a couple reasons. First the obvious - I've always thought the '67-68 years were the best, and the GT500 the best execution. It may not be the unltimate musclecar - we all know there are better stats. Though we also all know that this car is more about heart than head. And there's another thing close to my heart with this car. It's about my dad.

When I was 17, I wrecked my dad's Black '68 289 coupe. The car was unique in that it had the ugraded interior that Shelby's had - very rare in Mustangs. Know my dad was a very conserative guy and that car meant a lot to him. I know it really disappointed him - and I've always wanted to make it up to him in some fashion. He's now 86 and the time is right. So - I'm going to give him a thrill ride (within reason). He had a bad spell last year and I thought we might lose him - and I'd never be able to get him back in that Black Mustang. I now have that chance. So much of what cars are about are between a dad and his son.

Yes - I did pay the sucker premium - there's no avoiding it around WDC. Though I got to order it my way on 7/31/06 and a make changes while I waited. I changed the colors a couple times and also got the chance to change the Shaker 1000 to the Nav system. I'll get some shots up once the weather clears.

Great Story. Welcome to the site. :yup:

Awsum, a Black Vert. I am waiting on Alloy. Being new, here is the drill, pics, pics, pics. :hysterical2::hysterical:

I know you said the pics are coming. I am just teasing you. :poke: I am glad you got a little ride in her before you had to garage her. Have a great day. Do you like the Nav unit?

jhe 12345 Congrat`s Welcome Wow my dad would have beat me for sure great story NEED PICTURES

Great news! I also have a black vert that was delivered via rail to Memphis today. I should have it by Thursday. Don't scare your dad too much! I will also give my dad a ride but I will be very easy on the throttle:)

jhe12345,

Congratulations! I know what you mean when you talk about fulfilling a life-long dream; that's what my Shelby is to me. I remember seeing my first 68 Shelby (it was brand new).

I'm sure your dad will love every minute of the ride. Have fun! :happy feet: :banvictory: :happy feet:

CC

Thanks, everyone. What a kick this is. I've been coming to this site for months just following along and learning. It's great now to have something to now add.

Hey John - I do remember reading your experience - great story. It's funny how something as mundane as buying a car can end up something really special - something to remember for a lifetime.

Kstrong - the NAV unit is OK - though I haven't used it on the road just yet. I really like the touch screen and the intuitive nature of it. Though I also have a NAV system in my Pathfinder and I prefer it's "bird's eye" 3D map view, instead of the flat 2 dimensional map view in this Pioneer system. But the Pathfinder doesn't have the touch screen - it has a joystick instead which is a pain. So a little bit of a trade-off - and the jury's still out if I made the right choice to drop the Shaker subwoofer. In the end it won't matter - I didn't buy the car for a Nav system or a stereo. It's all about those 500 ponies and being part of the Shelby club. Glad to be here gents.

Thanks, everyone. What a kick this is. I've been coming to this site for months just following along and learning. It's great now to have something to now add.

Hey John - I do remember reading your experience - great story. It's funny how something as mundane as buying a car can end up something really special - something to remember for a lifetime.

Kstrong - the NAV unit is OK - though I haven't used it on the road just yet. I really like the touch screen and the intuitive nature of it. Though I also have a NAV system in my Pathfinder and I prefer it's "bird's eye" 3D map view, instead of the flat 2 dimensional map view in this Pioneer system. But the Pathfinder doesn't have the touch screen - it has a joystick instead which is a pain. So a little bit of a trade-off - and the jury's still out if I made the right choice to drop the Shaker subwoofer. In the end it won't matter - I didn't buy the car for a Nav system or a stereo. It's all about those 500 ponies and being part of the Shelby club. Glad to be here gents.

Welcome to the site and congrats. I'll have a hard time remembering that name though. :hysterical:

Well, the sun came out and she needed to stretch her legs a bit. Tell me - do these pics do as much for you as they do for me? Too many?

btw - I can't wait to get the 40th package done. The car is begging to be lowered. The ass is too high and that 4x4 look over the rear wheels must go...and I've already experienced some of the wheel hop people talk about. The 40th springs and bars are supposed to fix all that. Thoughts anyone? ...as if there were a lack of opinion here... :hysterical:

post-7031-1173393206_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173393613_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173393711_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173393733_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393790_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173393822_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173393860_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173393883_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393900_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173393926_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173393953_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173393975_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393996_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173394022_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1173394041_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393206_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393613_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393711_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393733_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393790_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393822_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393860_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393883_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393900_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393926_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393953_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393975_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173393996_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173394022_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1173394041_thumb.jpg

What a beautiful car, 12345. Great story, too.

I'm still working on getting one. HUGE Mustang & Shelby fan, I've been lucky enough to own 2 Shelbys and 9 Other Mustangs. My heartfelt congratulations and welcome to the site. Keep us all updated on your mod process, we would love to know YOUR opinions! ;)

jhe12345

AS I found out today pics don't do the black verts justice. I am very happy with this combo! Don't get me wrong I like the coupes a lot, but black verts look mean and different. I got mine today and will post pics of mine as well tomorrow after the detailing.

Well, I busted a hundred miles on her today - and had a little fun to boot. The car is everything I've read about - both good and bad. The solid rear axle really demands good pavement when cornering hard. And we need to be careful going around turns and pushing too much power - that ass can swing around easily. Though I find it all really fun and a real kick - and everything I'd hope for. The car is like a two for one deal. When just cruising around and not pushing her, she's enitrely civilized and comfortable. Then when you kick those 500 ponies in - she's another beast altogether. It's something to start on a slow roll in first, then simply stomp on it - the torque steer is a blast. Then throwing into 2nd for some more wheel spin and torque steer. What power. I asked a bud - how many horses do you want to feel? I did a couple runs - first tires a squeelin' and slip-slidin' away. Then I did a real run - hooked up the rubber like it should be. When you do it right - I can't get over it - it's a 4 wheel rocket ship - with 4 seats...I think I'm in love again... :happy feet:

• 2 months later...

Time for a follow-up. I finally got to give that joy ride to my 87 year old dad. All he could say was "WOW" over and over again. Though there's more to this story...

I'm a private pilot, just as my dad was when I was a kid. And you may remember my back story as to why I have a Black Shelby - my dad had a black Mustang when I was in high school back in the 70s. Anyway - I'm now here in northern Virginia, and my dad lives in a home north of Philly. He's been bugging me for a year to fly him down here, and I finally did a couple weeks back. The flight down and back for him was part of the father/son revisiting life-long thrills together. It took four days before we had suitable weather for the round trip flights - and it was worth the wait. He could see the cooling towers at TMI, Limerick and Peach Bottom nuclear power plants. That's probably 120 miles from one end to the other. And when he was down here, I took him to the new Smithsonian National Air/Space Museum annex out at Dulles. He saw the B29 Enola Gay, the SR71, the Concorde, the Space Shuttle Enterprise, the first 707...over 100 air and spacecraft. He was like a kid again for a couple days.

We drove the Shelby everywhere - and I gave him the whole treatment. Smoked the tires, did the 0-100 in less than 10 seconds (though didn't tell him that's what we did), showed him kicking into 3rd from a 60mph cruise. Then showed him a little of the handling - which I'm still getting used to. He just kept saying "WOW". What a kick.

This whole episode now has special meaning, since it may be the last time we ever do such a thing. While he was here, he kept complaining about his allergies and shortness of breath. My sisters - who are local to him up in the Philly area - had told me he had been complaining about just that for the past week when I mentioned it to them. I was going to have him down here for 2-3 days, but since he seemed weak and had labored breathing, I flew him back after just one day.

The next day - while taking his routine walk around the home - he complained more about difficulty breathing and numbness in his arm. He was having a heart attack. And the allergies he was complaining about - he has none. He had pneumonia. He was rushed to emergency then put into an ICU for 6 days. It was touch/go for a few days, but he has recovered - again. Though his prognosis is not good. They say since he's had a history of heart attacks, that the next one will likely be fatal - he has a DNR order.

Though I had pangs of guilt about the joy rides in the plane and in the Shelby, the doctors assured me neither had an impact. The pneumonia is what caused the issue and had gone unrecognized for a week. I'm just glad I had the chance to do both with him. He hadn't been so happy in years - it almost seemed like his last hurrah.

Time for a follow-up. I finally got to give that joy ride to my 87 year old dad. All he could say was "WOW" over and over again. Though there's more to this story...

I'm a private pilot, just as my dad was when I was a kid. And you may remember my back story as to why I have a Black Shelby - my dad had a black Mustang when I was in high school back in the 70s. Anyway - I'm now here in northern Virginia, and my dad lives in a home north of Philly. He's been bugging me for a year to fly him down here, and I finally did a couple weeks back. The flight down and back for him was part of the father/son revisiting life-long thrills together. It took four days before we had suitable weather for the round trip flights - and it was worth the wait. He could see the cooling towers at TMI, Limerick and Peach Bottom nuclear power plants. That's probably 120 miles from one end to the other. And when he was down here, I took him to the new Smithsonian National Air/Space Museum annex out at Dulles. He saw the B29 Enola Gay, the SR71, the Concorde, the Space Shuttle Enterprise, the first 707...over 100 air and spacecraft. He was like a kid again for a couple days.

We drove the Shelby everywhere - and I gave him the whole treatment. Smoked the tires, did the 0-100 in less than 10 seconds (though didn't tell him that's what we did), showed him kicking into 3rd from a 60mph cruise. Then showed him a little of the handling - which I'm still getting used to. He just kept saying "WOW". What a kick.

This whole episode now has special meaning, since it may be the last time we ever do such a thing. While he was here, he kept complaining about his allergies and shortness of breath. My sisters - who are local to him up in the Philly area - had told me he had been complaining about just that for the past week when I mentioned it to them. I was going to have him down here for 2-3 days, but since he seemed weak and had labored breathing, I flew him back after just one day.

The next day - while taking his routine walk around the home - he complained more about difficulty breathing and numbness in his arm. He was having a heart attack. And the allergies he was complaining about - he has none. He had pneumonia. He was rushed to emergency then put into an ICU for 6 days. It was touch/go for a few days, but he has recovered - again. Though his prognosis is not good. They say since he's had a history of heart attacks, that the next one will likely be fatal - he has a DNR order.

Though I had pangs of guilt about the joy rides in the plane and in the Shelby, the doctors assured me neither had an impact. The pneumonia is what caused the issue and had gone unrecognized for a week. I'm just glad I had the chance to do both with him. He hadn't been so happy in years - it almost seemed like his last hurrah.

I am glad that you were able to share this moment with your dad and that you made him happy. I hope that he will be able to fully recover and be back with you for another joyride.

• 2 weeks later...

jhe - glad to hear you were able to spend quality time with your dad! It really is getting harder and harder in our "frenetic" society to spend time with our parents as they age and become less self-reliant. Last Oct. out of the blue my mother lapsed into serious mental problems and we now have her in a memory care unit. I could go on all day about our experiences with various hospitals, doctors, and the state of health care in general - but suffice it to say - this country is not prepared for what is coming with the aging of the baby boomer generation....pretty soon we will have more folks in mental homes than prisions. I'm just really thankful to the big guy upstairs that my mom can still recognize her children and we can spend quality time with her before its too late. I will say a little prayer for your dad and hope that he recovers fully with lots of good times ahead for you and the family.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my dad - I'm glad I had the chance to take my 87 y.o. dad for a joy ride. We did that about 6 weeks ago. I was also able to fly him down here to Virginia from Philly at the same time. He got his last ride in a Cherokee and a ride in a black GT500. He was like a kid again. I'm happy we had the chance because we just lost him Monday morning. He had cardio-pulmonary problems, and pneumonia. He was ready. I was also able to drive up a couple weeks back with the GT500 and he got another ride where we went to a small cruise-in. All he could say was "wow". I wish I had the JLT/CAI installed...

These cars are all about the father/son connection. It was where we were best together.

Here are some pics from my dad's last ride. He really enjoyed himself. The air was smooth and clear. What a great day. Up in the air is where we were best together (besides the Mustang :happy feet: ).

Pics aren't good quality - my sister took them with her cellphone camera. She framed for me the one where we're standing together.

post-7031-1183465581_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1183465587_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1183465594_thumb.jpgpost-7031-1183465602_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1183465581_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1183465587_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1183465594_thumb.jpg

post-7031-1183465602_thumb.jpg

Archived