TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Snake delayed by no hoods

Whammer

Shelby has gone with a different supplier for the Super Snake hoods and I guess the quality has been poor. Because of this Shelby is not shipping any hoods. My GT500 has been sitting at Sean Hyland's since mid Dec. and it looks like at least another 2 weeks before hoods will be shipped.

I'm not blaming Shelby, it's good they have a high quality standard. I'm just posting to let people know that there is a delay with getting a Super Snake built.

Shelby has gone with a different supplier for the Super Snake hoods and I guess the quality has been poor. Because of this Shelby is not shipping any hoods. My GT500 has been sitting at Sean Hyland's since mid Dec. and it looks like at least another 2 weeks before hoods will be shipped.

I'm not blaming Shelby, it's good they have a high quality standard. I'm just posting to let people know that there is a delay with getting a Super Snake built.

Sorry to hear about the delay Whammer............but your Super Snake will be well worth the wait my SS brother. happy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gif

I agree with SA for holding back the hoods due to poor quality.......it's smart business :salute:

If I remember correctly, this happened a couple of years ago also. I don't remember if it was a quality issue, it may have been a change in vendors?

R

It will be at least a month until we can drive our cars anyway Whammer. Thank Sean for storing your car for you! :lol: You'll be happy when you get it that they insisted on getting the best quality they could.

Don

Yes, we have been rejecting hoods that do not meet quality standards.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

You are "SHELBY", not Wal-Mart.

There's no reason to 'settle' for second-best. If you want to keep the Shelby brand at the top, you MUST demand top of the line from your suppliers.

But you must also always remember....there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

Keep a constant eye on that line and never cross it. And it's easy to do.

Just some ole' "know nuthin' " peon,

Phill Pollard

Whammer we need to meet for coffee let me know when your going to Sean Hyland . I have to go there to see Wayne about this years car show. Hope the your hood is in soon ,I take it everything else is complete.

Yeah, it would be great to get together!

Sadly, nothing has really been done on my car. They've got other cars in the shop that can't be completed until they get the hoods and so my car is still sitting on the showroom floor. I know Sean's frustrated that he can't really get any work done, not just on my car but on others. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks the hoods will arrive.

Like I said- I'm not trying to bash SA, it's good that they have such high quality standards and are not willing to accept sub par hoods. I'm just really glad all of this is happening at this time of the year.

Yeah, it would be great to get together!

Sadly, nothing has really been done on my car. They've got other cars in the shop that can't be completed until they get the hoods and so my car is still sitting on the showroom floor. I know Sean's frustrated that he can't really get any work done, not just on my car but on others. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks the hoods will arrive.

Like I said- I'm not trying to bash SA, it's good that they have such high quality standards and are not willing to accept sub par hoods. I'm just really glad all of this is happening at this time of the year.

Here`s hoping it will be only two weeks keep us posted , maybe we can hook up soon.

Whammer

Check my sig. The same thing happened to me. My car was gone from April to September in 2009, so I basically lost an entire driving season. At least it is winter for your delay. Have fun when you get your car! It is so worth the wait.

Cheers

Brett

That is actually good to hear. I was holding off on ordering one of the "new vendor" SS hoods for my '08 until the growing pains were completed. Glad Shelby is holding them to the standard.

Are the newer 07-09 and 10/11 hoods functional? From what I had understood, the only functional portion of the newer 07-11 Super Snake hoods is heat extraction. The cold air intake function is now through the grill area and the frontal hood openings are non-functional. I could be wrong.

R

I believe the only functional "ram air" SS hoods were the early production units then they switched to a non-functional ram air style.

Haven`t heard that but makes sense as they had air flow problems . Blocking them off & drilling holes to get proper air flow.

Anyone know for sure?

Haven`t heard that but makes sense as they had air flow problems . Blocking them off & drilling holes to get proper air flow.

Anyone know for sure?

I know that the very first SS hoods had the problem mentioned above, I believe "blowing the candle out" was a discription used back then and there was a "fix" for that, and then the next generation seemed to work properly.

R

I know that the very first SS hoods had the problem mentioned above, I believe "blowing the candle out" was a discription used back then and there was a "fix" for that, and then the next generation seemed to work properly.

R

Robert is right.

The early hoods had 4 or 5 holes drilled in over the air box them so they are truly "functional" in that the air entering the scoops actually got directed into the air box.

The problem was, at speed the car would stall if you put the clutch in. The problem turned out to be that "too much air" was being forced into the intake PRIOR to the MAF Sensor.

The "fix" was to not drill any holes at all in the hood! The new hoods come blank, NO holes (at least all of the 2010 Hoods I saw at Shelby were blank).

If you want to drill your own holes, have at it but beware of the problem so you don't bitch at Shelby for something YOU did.

Phill

Robert is right.

The early hoods had 4 or 5 holes drilled in over the air box them so they are truly "functional" in that the air entering the scoops actually got directed into the air box.

The problem was, at speed the car would stall if you put the clutch in. The problem turned out to be that "too much air" was being forced into the intake PRIOR to the MAF Sensor.

The "fix" was to not drill any holes at all in the hood! The new hoods come blank, NO holes (at least all of the 2010 Hoods I saw at Shelby were blank).

If you want to drill your own holes, have at it but beware of the problem so you don't bitch at Shelby for something YOU did.

Phill

From what I remember, the first hoods either had too many holes, or were wide open (big hole) over the open element air filter. The fix was to install a baffle on these earlier hoods over the one large opening and the baffle had less or smaller holes. The later hoods incorporated the "less/smaller holes" design and as far as I know, the later functional hoods did not cause the "too much air flow" issue. Then came the hoods that are not functional.

I think (but am not positive) that I saw a 2010 Super Snake on eBay for sale a while back. A picture of the under hood was shown with a view of the bottom side of the hood. It appeared that there was no longer an air plenum behind the hood inlets, so making a non-functional hood, functional did not appear to be an option. Maybe I am wrong, but that is the way it appeared.

R

From what I remember, the first hoods either had too many holes, or were wide open (big hole) over the open element air filter. The fix was to install a baffle on these earlier hoods over the one large opening and the baffle had less or smaller holes. The later hoods incorporated the "less/smaller holes" design and as far as I know, the later functional hoods did not cause the "too much air flow" issue. Then came the hoods that are not functional.

I think (but am not positive) that I saw a 2010 Super Snake on eBay for sale a while back. A picture of the under hood was shown with a view of the bottom side of the hood. It appeared that there was no longer an air plenum behind the hood inlets, so making a non-functional hood, functional did not appear to be an option. Maybe I am wrong, but that is the way it appeared.

R

There wouldn`t be any open area on the 2010 or 11ss hood ` as the intake is in the front grill area that`s why the Snake is on the left side now.

There wouldn`t be any open area on the 2010 or 11ss hood ` as the intake is in the front grill area that`s why the Snake is on the left side now.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. My reply was to Phill's comment copied and pasted below.............................

"If you want to drill your own holes, have at it but beware of the problem so you don't bitch at Shelby for something YOU did."

I didn't think there is an option of drilling your own holes and making this newer design hood functional to feed the CAI. The hood is now for looks in this frontal area and air enters the CAI filter through the grill area.

I have never had any issues with my KB Super Snake, but I also have one of the later design functional hoods. My car was finished in 2009.

R

Yes, that is what I was thinking. My reply was to Phill's comment copied and pasted below.............................

"If you want to drill your own holes, have at it but beware of the problem so you don't bitch at Shelby for something YOU did."

I didn't think there is an option of drilling your own holes and making this newer design hood functional to feed the CAI. The hood is now for looks in this frontal area and air enters the CAI filter through the grill area.

I have never had any issues with my KB Super Snake, but I also have one of the later design functional hoods. My car was finished in 2009.

The hood I saw was on a Red 2010 Super Snake at Shelby in the warehouse across the street from the museum. The Customer Rep opened the hood to show me the engine and he noted that there were NO holes drilled in it over the airbox. He told me if I wanted to make the hood functional, I could drill holes in it with a hole saw and it would allow cold air in through the scoops.

Phill

The hood I saw was on a Red 2010 Super Snake at Shelby in the warehouse across the street from the museum. The Customer Rep opened the hood to show me the engine and he noted that there were NO holes drilled in it over the airbox. He told me if I wanted to make the hood functional, I could drill holes in it with a hole saw and it would allow cold air in through the scoops.

Phill

Yeah but I think you might be asking for problems .

Phill

If that is how it is, then it can be opened up. I will look closer next time I see a 2010/2011 SS for sale with good pictures in that area of the hood.

R

Archived