TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Feedback

OK, so I recently replaced the stock clutch with the Mcleod RST twin-disk with matching steel flywheel and stainless hydraulic line. (No, though I probably should have, I didn't replace the OEM slave or the throw-out bearing)

I've gotten about 300 miles of break-in miles on it so far and before I freak-out, I was looking for feedback from those who already have one!

Specifically, how and where does it engage in your car? (near the floor or further out, any creeping before full engagement, etc.) Any unusual noises or odors? Complaints or praises?

Thanks in advance!

Sam

This doesn't sound good that you are a out to freak out! I don't have one yet, but its on my wish list... Is something not working as you expected it to?

Well, maybe "freak out" isn't the word, but let's just say I'm somewhat concerned about the new clutch. Maybe it's just because it's still breaking-in and I'm probably just paranoid - watching/listening really closely and imagining things are falling apart!

First, the clutch IS functioning - positive shifting and no gear grinding. Oddly though, when starting out from a stop, as you release the pedal, the clutch seems to grab ever so slightly, and the car begins creeping forward, then with about half of the pedal released it hooks up normally and off you go! There's no discernable noises (throw out bearing or other), it's just I was thinking it should grab earlier and firmer - none of this creeping action.

I've checked fluid levels and re-bled the system, (vacuum at resevoir per Ford manual), but this didn't really change anything - pedal feel has been good throughout the range.

Ideas?

Sam

That does sound normal to me too. I've been driving my Spec 3+ around the last few days and it grabs closer to the top. I kind of like not having to push the pedal to the floor to shift though. I will say it is very grabby though so don't hate the fact that you can slip yours!

Thanks for the replies - I'll keep on schedule with the break-in and see if anything changes, plus re-learn how to shift with this new engagement point!

On another note - has anyone had a check engine light after swapping the clutch or changing the battery? Mine came on yesterday, but I couldn't get the code reader to link up, so I just disconnected the battery. No more light - if it comes back, I'll try and read it again, but in the meantime, I checked the owners manual and read about the I/M function (inspection/maintenance). It's a little confusing, but it appears that when you replace the battery or remove/reinstall the transmission, you will get a light that means your emission control system "isn't ready for I/M". (you can tell by turning the key on for 15 seconds and then see if the light flashes 8 times) Anybody here familiar with this?

Sam

Thanks for the replies - I'll keep on schedule with the break-in and see if anything changes, plus re-learn how to shift with this new engagement point!

On another note - has anyone had a check engine light after swapping the clutch or changing the battery? Mine came on yesterday, but I couldn't get the code reader to link up, so I just disconnected the battery. No more light - if it comes back, I'll try and read it again, but in the meantime, I checked the owners manual and read about the I/M function (inspection/maintenance). It's a little confusing, but it appears that when you replace the battery or remove/reinstall the transmission, you will get a light that means your emission control system "isn't ready for I/M". (you can tell by turning the key on for 15 seconds and then see if the light flashes 8 times) Anybody here familiar with this?

Sam

That sounds logical. I'll bet it's a P1000 System not ready which will go away eventually if I recall. I've had that code several times and also in combination with other codes. I just clear it and usually it doesn't come back.

Edit. I think it's the car going "hold on wtf did you just do to me, oh you say it's ok, ok"

Archived