TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Newest Comparisson Test with the 2011 GT500

dbowles22

Just more proof that the Mags stack the deck. here we have 2 american v8's against a Japanese V6 with 4 wheel drive. Give me a break, 4x4??? Oh, lest we forget, the GTR licenses Ford's Spray Bore technology.

So to recap:

A 55g Muscle car vs.

a 98g supercar vs.

a 91g 4x4 supercar.

I read between the lines and determine that this Mag, i.e. Motor Trend, just wants to show the world that the GT500 ain't a supercar. To date, in reality, the GT500 is top on the list for it's Muscle Car class.

The GT500 is definitely the bargain of the bunch if your comparing numbers and I think that they were trying to say, for a significantly lower amount of money you still get a top class performer without dropping six figures on a car. That GTR is still nasty though, American companies should buck up and make something that can beat it at it's own game.

GT500 v Z06 v GTR

Thats pretty obserd but its nice to see a shelby being considered as a "Supercar"

I have never considered my Shelby a supercar, I still do not, and thank God my insurance company does not either.

Well if you want to compare apples to apple's, I suggest taking the Shelby and putting 40k into it and then see how they compare. The whole thing is hokey to begin with. Yes the other two are going to out perform the Shelby, you get what you pay for! So for the almost 40k difference in price, lets even it up a bit and have the same amount of money in each of them. I bet for that comparison there wouldnt be much competetion.

In all I understand what they are trying to show, but I would like to see the Shelby in a much more comparable playing field with cars that compare in price as well as performance. HMMM CTS-V, Vette grand sport, The almighty new ZL-1.....

Just more proof that the Mags stack the deck. here we have 2 american v8's against a Japanese V6 with 4 wheel drive. Give me a break, 4x4??? Oh, lest we forget, the GTR licenses Ford's Spray Bore technology.

So to recap:

A 55g Muscle car vs.

a 98g supercar vs.

a 91g 4x4 supercar.

I read between the lines and determine that this Mag, i.e. Motor Trend, just wants to show the world that the GT500 ain't a supercar. To date, in reality, the GT500 is top on the list for it's Muscle Car class.

I don't think Ford bashing is what they had in mind, and I have not read it yet, but the GT500 is NOT what the GT-R and Z06 is. Might as well compare the towing capacity of an F250 and a Ferrari. Ridiculous.

Well if you want to compare apples to apple's, I suggest taking the Shelby and putting 40k into it and then see how they compare. The whole thing is hokey to begin with. Yes the other two are going to out perform the Shelby, you get what you pay for! So for the almost 40k difference in price, lets even it up a bit and have the same amount of money in each of them. I bet for that comparison there wouldnt be much competetion.

In all I understand what they are trying to show, but I would like to see the Shelby in a much more comparable playing field with cars that compare in price as well as performance. HMMM CTS-V, Vette grand sport, The almighty new ZL-1.....

I agree....give me 40K to mod my car and I'll beat practically anything I come up against

I didn't see that as bad. We have one hell of a car for 55k. With a few mods. Watch out! :shift:

+1............. Next time MT should give SAI's Gary Patterson a call and have him drive the comparably priced GT-350R through these same paces. Hands down... SHELBY!

When the guy was driving the Shelby he was a little confused. He said he could feel the supercharger adding to the broad torque curve of the "Boss 302" V8. Lol

The same guy did the Motor trend review on the 2011 GT500 with 2 other cars half a year ago. He was a lot more complimentary of the car then but that is because (I can't recall the exact review) he was comparing it to competition in the same range.

I love the negativity on the braking. The other cars are running carbon composite ceramics. The brakes on the GT500 you can replace at the local autozone.

I don't think any realistic amount of money will make the GT500 handle as well as the the GT-R or even Z06, but I think it could beat both around that track given the right upgrades.

I agree....give me 40K to mod my car and I'll beat practically anything I come up against

My friend's civic runs 9's with 40K in it, but I would rather have a stock 5.0 GT, much like I would take a stock GT-R over any kind of mustang, and a stock GT2 over any kind of GT-R. I don't think modded cars really "count" when placing them in a hierarchy.

The same guy did the Motor trend review on the 2011 GT500 with 2 other cars half a year ago. He was a lot more complimentary of the car then but that is because (I can't recall the exact review) he was comparing it to competition in the same range.

I love the negativity on the braking. The other cars are running carbon composite ceramics. The brakes on the GT500 you can replace at the local autozone.

I don't think any realistic amount of money will make the GT500 handle as well as the the GT-R or even Z06, but I think it could beat both around that track given the right upgrades.

The GT500 is sick at braking. It defies physics. Those little brakes stop the car--repeatedly--within about 3-4 feet of the Z06 from 70-0. That is insane if you look at the brakes/tires on both cars and compare curb weights. I am sure the GT500's would fade first, but in 5 back to back stops or so that the 70-0 was tested by C&D they didn't have any issues. I am astounded at how well they work.

I take it as a compliment to the GT500 that they would put a GT500 in a comparison test vs the GT-R and Z06. I'd love to have one of each parked in my garage. The Z06 at that trim level is fantastic, very nice interior and all. The GT-R is crazy fast out of the hole with that all wheel drive...0-60 in 2.9 sec!!!! Sick!! The GT500 did an awesome job as a muscle car being compared to much more expensive sports cars and was by far the best looking of the bunch (IMO..heh heh). Hey JWG223.....no mention of any gear grind with the GT500 on the shifts...hhhmmm. Lol

I take it as a compliment to the GT500 that they would put a GT500 in a comparison test vs the GT-R and Z06. I'd love to have one of each parked in my garage. The Z06 at that trim level is fantastic, very nice interior and all. The GT-R is crazy fast out of the hole with that all wheel drive...0-60 in 2.9 sec!!!! Sick!! The GT500 did an awesome job as a muscle car being compared to much more expensive sports cars and was by far the best looking of the bunch (IMO..heh heh). Hey JWG223.....no mention of any gear grind with the GT500 on the shifts...hhhmmm. Lol

Well, I guess we are 1 for 2 according to the mag tests we have mentioned. :P

GT500 as a daily driver.

ZR1 as a track car

GTR when you want to ruin any other car owners day.

A man can dream right? :hysterical:

And you were complaining so much about insurance for just the GT500 in other posts.....lol. Ouch!!!

Well, I guess we are 1 for 2 according to the mag tests we have mentioned. :P

What about all the other reviews with no mention of gear grind? Out of all the dozens of magazine and online reviews I've read I've only seen one mention gear grind and the one that did had grind going from 2nd to 3rd not 1st to 2nd like a handfull of guys harp on. I know mine is fine. I pulled 6 good 6000 rpm 1-2, 2-3 shifts yesterday with no grind. Out of the approx 10,000 GT500's produced in 2010/11 a very small percentage of guys have had shifting problems actually related to mechanical issues and guys with problems are usually very vocal about them.

What about all the other reviews with no mention of gear grind? Out of all the dozens of magazine and online reviews I've read I've only seen one mention gear grind and the one that did had grind going from 2nd to 3rd not 1st to 2nd like a handfull of guys harp on. I know mine is fine. I pulled 6 good 6000 rpm 1-2, 2-3 shifts yesterday with no grind. Out of the approx 10,000 GT500's produced in 2010/11 a very small percentage of guys have had shifting problems actually related to mechanical issues and guys with problems are usually very vocal about them.

Never saw anything saying it was only on the 2-3 shift. It simply ground according to them, and they had trouble with the 2-3 shift. Not necessarily related.

Tremec and Ford are aware of the issue per people who spoke with Tremec at SEMA, and per Son of GT. More than just a couple of guys I think. Either way, YOURS works fine, and that kicks ass! Enjoy

My friend's civic runs 9's with 40K in it, but I would rather have a stock 5.0 GT, much like I would take a stock GT-R over any kind of mustang, and a stock GT2 over any kind of GT-R. I don't think modded cars really "count" when placing them in a hierarchy.

You keep bringing up your bias against modded cars. That's curious.....back when I street raced....a long time ago, in another galaxy far, far away......no one cared what you 'brought to the table'. First to the 'finish line' wins....modded or not....whether VW, 'vette or stang.....doesn't matter. You need to get over your hangup on bashing non-stock vehicles. It's really nonsensical.

You keep bringing up your bias against modded cars. That's curious.....back when I street raced....a long time ago, in another galaxy far, far away......no one cared what you 'brought to the table'. First to the 'finish line' wins....modded or not....whether VW, 'vette or stang.....doesn't matter. You need to get over your hangup on bashing non-stock vehicles. It's really nonsensical.

Not a bash, I just wouldn't ever own one again.

I used to be all about how to go fast in a straight line. Had a 1988 5.0 GT with a TKO500 transmission, 4.10's, full bolt-ons, suspension, crate motor, etc. etc. etc.

The list went on and on.

I dumped around 10K into the car (I was young and easily fooled into thinking you could get something for nothing).

Ended up, the crate motor I bought was rated at GROSS bhp, and not rwhp or even SAE hp that it would produce.

The car was fun, but it was finicky, reeked of raw fuel, had to buy special parts for it because nothing on it was OEM and so noone but me could service it. In general, it was a pain in the ass. When something broke, I had to fork over more cash to fix it, etc.

Then I went and bought a stock 2001 WS6 6-speed and mashed that mustang a new one with it. Ever since that moment, I have had absolutely zero desire to modify a factory car.

Why?

You lose the warranty. You unbalance the package. You usually aren't making anything better, just trading one thing for another once you get past the very minor bolt-ons. The factory spends millions upon millions figuring out how to make the whole car reliable and balanced, and then passes that on to you with a nice warranty.

Ever since that ill-fated attempt at making a cheap car do what a more expensive car could do for less, I have committed to either buying a car that would do everything I wanted right out of the box, or just holding off until I can afford one that will. Anything else results in an unbalanced package, or the expenditure of more money than it would take to simply buy a better car, and yet none of the resale value or warranty.

Modding a car is just a waste of my time and money. YMMV, and obviously it has, and that's great. To each their own, but the above is why I feel how I do about it in relation to what's going in my garage. My life doesn't revolve around "winning" or the 1/4 mile or the dyno. If it did, there are many cheaper ways to "victory" than a GT500 or a 'vette.

Not a bash, I just wouldn't ever own one again.

I used to be all about how to go fast in a straight line. Had a 1988 5.0 GT with a TKO500 transmission, 4.10's, full bolt-ons, suspension, crate motor, etc. etc. etc.

The list went on and on.

I dumped around 10K into the car (I was young and easily fooled into thinking you could get something for nothing).

Ended up, the crate motor I bought was rated at GROSS bhp, and not rwhp or even SAE hp that it would produce.

The car was fun, but it was finicky, reeked of raw fuel, had to buy special parts for it because nothing on it was OEM and so noone but me could service it. In general, it was a pain in the ass. When something broke, I had to fork over more cash to fix it, etc.

Then I went and bought a stock 2001 WS6 6-speed and mashed that mustang a new one with it. Ever since that moment, I have had absolutely zero desire to modify a factory car.

Why?

You lose the warranty. You unbalance the package. You usually aren't making anything better, just trading one thing for another once you get past the very minor bolt-ons. The factory spends millions upon millions figuring out how to make the whole car reliable and balanced, and then passes that on to you with a nice warranty.

Ever since that ill-fated attempt at making a cheap car do what a more expensive car could do for less, I have committed to either buying a car that would do everything I wanted right out of the box, or just holding off until I can afford one that will. Anything else results in an unbalanced package, or the expenditure of more money than it would take to simply buy a better car, and yet none of the resale value or warranty.

Modding a car is just a waste of my time and money. YMMV, and obviously it has, and that's great. To each their own, but the above is why I feel how I do about it in relation to what's going in my garage. My life doesn't revolve around "winning" or the 1/4 mile or the dyno. If it did, there are many cheaper ways to "victory" than a GT500 or a 'vette.

Well said, almost the same thing I went through with modding cars. Nowadays, I just like to own a car with a nice package and not mod it (or maybe a little like wider tires, better brakes, and short shifter). I would also love to own all 3 cars especially the GTR because I am a car guy and not a fan boy. I do not understand why limit yourself to one brand where there are alot of cars to appreciate for what they are.

My life doesn't revolve around "winning" or the 1/4 mile or the dyno. If it did, there are many cheaper ways to "victory" than a GT500 or a 'vette.

JWG, what a load of crap. You don't care about winning? B.S. You sure wanted your WS6 to win....didn't you 'mash' the mustang? You sure as heck will want to beat anything you race in your new Z06. Don't try to con me or others into thinking you don't care about winning. Stop whinning about winning. :slapfight:

Lose warranty? Well, that's a choice. Don't use that as an excuse not to mod. Unbalanced? LOL....in your opinion the GT500 is 'unbalanced' in it's showroom form. Wouldn't modding the suspension help it be much more 'balanced'? Jeez....... :banghead:

Spending millions? It seems you are angry that you spent money too unwisely on your stang? Well, others have opposite results and are quite happy with their results. News flash....it doesn't take 'millions' to make these Shelby's GO. For modest sums (and much less than buying a ZR1, for example) you can have a car that will dominate 99.9999% of the cars on the road. :banvictory:

I'm very pleased with my heavily-modded '11 Shelby. And, I spent much, much less money in the purchase than you did with your pristine showroom stock Z06. In my humble opinion, I got the better deal....much better. :rockon:

You'll be content with your stock Z06 until someone beats you (and maybe badly). :sos: Then, you'll be musing about making maybe one modification here...and one there. :hysterical2:

JWG, what a load of crap. You don't care about winning? B.S. You sure wanted your WS6 to win....didn't you 'mash' the mustang? You sure as heck will want to beat anything you race in your new Z06. Don't try to con me or others into thinking you don't care about winning. Stop whinning about winning. :slapfight:

Lose warranty? Well, that's a choice. Don't use that as an excuse not to mod. Unbalanced? LOL....in your opinion the GT500 is 'unbalanced' in it's showroom form. Wouldn't modding the suspension help it be much more 'balanced'? Jeez....... :banghead:

Spending millions? It seems you are angry that you spent money too unwisely on your stang? Well, others have opposite results and are quite happy with their results. News flash....it doesn't take 'millions' to make these Shelby's GO. For modest sums (and much less than buying a ZR1, for example) you can have a car that will dominate 99.9999% of the cars on the road. :banvictory:

I'm very pleased with my heavily-modded '11 Shelby. And, I spent much, much less money in the purchase than you did with your pristine showroom stock Z06. In my humble opinion, I got the better deal....much better. :rockon:

You'll be content with your stock Z06 until someone beats you (and maybe badly). :sos: Then, you'll be musing about making maybe one modification here...and one there. :hysterical2:

Why not let my past actions speak for my future actions? I lost a few races in the WS6 (one to a GT500, it beat me by about 4 cars 60-115, and until 90mph, it only had about a car and a half on me. I died when I hit 4th gear). My WS6 stayed bone stock for 3 years (unless you count a K&N oil filter?) until I sold it.

A cam would have been an easy 75whp. No-go. Like I told you, I don't like modding stuff anymore.

The Z06 will stay 100% stock as well (unless you count wrapping the front clip and tinting the windows).

There will always be someone faster, and I could really care less.

I am a bit sad about the money spent on the 'stang, but it taught me several valuable lessons. Well worth it, and I don't feel inconvenienced in the slightest by those actions at this time.

Yes, I do think the GT500 is unbalanced as a sports car. Not as the pony car it was intended to be, though.

How would I make the GT500 a sports car? I could, sorta. A Grigg's setup would do it, but then it would pop and jounce and jolt and be a real PITA on the street. Not very practical. It is what it is--a muscle-car--and should be left that way imo.

Just for academics, lets price out how I would make the GT500 compete with my Z06 in the handling department...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/american-muscle/98988-new-gt500-suspension.html

Really nice build there!

So how does it do against my stock Z06?

About the same.

1. The car is built at Performance Autosport which is 2 hours north of me and one of their main mechanics/tuners is a good track buddy of mine Kevin Adolf.

2. The entire kit costs upwards of $20,000+ but that's what it takes to completely re-engineer a car's suspesnion. The change from a macpherson strut front to a SLA w/ coil overs is drastic.

3. The car will now keep up with a stock C6Z06... this car weights near 4000lbs, but it does have an upgraded supercharger making 600ish rwhp. Remember the Corvette has SLA from the factory, less weight, and a superior chassis. All the stuff the Griggs kit gives to the mustang the Z06 has from the get go. Full Griggs GT500s run 2:06s at VIRs full course which is fast and right in line with what stock C6Zs run. The T1 record with a C5Z T1 car making 380ish rwhp is 2:04.

4. The wheels are incredible... they are a proper 3-part racing wheel.

5. Kevin (who ironically hates mustangs) says it's one of the best handling cars he's ever driven which says alot. He races a Sentra SE-R and is an HPDE instructor in his spare time.

6. A properly setup solid axle can handle very well... the Griggs kit uses a watt's link to locate the axle in the same manner my Panoz race car does. The Panoz usues a Ford 9" w/ 2 trailing arms per side and the watt's link. It handles awesome, just as good if not better than my Z06.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/american-muscle/98988-new-gt500-suspension-3.html#post1741678

So...$20K in mods to equal what I drove off the showroom floor, so to speak, and you call that "a better deal"? No thanks.

Like I said, the GT500 is a PONY CAR! Not a sports car. It's not meant to handle like one. It's meant to kick ass in a straight line, sound mean, and haul 4 people when the need arises, and it does all this in spades. We both bought what we wanted, and there is no way you are going to convince me that just because when you bolt on slicks your mustang is quicker in a straight line from a dig that I made the wrong choice. Similarly, all you care about is acceleration down a 1/4 mile straight patch of pavement and I am not going to get you to care about anything else.

more power to us, keep the shiny side up :shift:

Archived