TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Diff cover should I do?

Is the Shelby version stronger than stock or add anything to the perfromance? Just curious?

Still deciding whether or not to go with the Ford Racing Diff cover or maybe another brand. Opinions? :headscratch:

I've heard the current GT500 cover is the hot ticket these days... I've been meaning to look into it at gear swap time.

Jer

I've heard the current GT500 cover is the hot ticket these days... I've been meaning to look into it at gear swap time.

Jer

Which is why I'm looking at which one to do. I'm having the 3.73's put in at JDM in 3 weeks along with my other mods. The Ford Racing one is a nice piece. The GT500 cover you are referring to, is that the one with the finned cooling blades? ---> http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/FORD_RACING_8_8_INCH_ALUMINUM_REAR_AXLE_COVER_p/m-4033-k.htm

This is the one I like---> http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_2005_2008_Mustang_Axle_Girdle_p/m-4033-g2.htm

Which is why I'm looking at which one to do. I'm having the 3.73's put in at JDM in 3 weeks along with my other mods. The Ford Racing one is a nice piece. The GT500 cover you are referring to, is that the one with the finned cooling blades? ---> http://www.fordracin..._p/m-4033-k.htm

This is the one I like---> http://www.fordracin...p/m-4033-g2.htm

I believe that's the one. A friend of mine did it, and was raving about it. He mentioned the cooling fins...

(Sorry, that's all I know, like I said, I've been eaning to do my research... LOL...)

Jer

Still deciding whether or not to go with the Ford Racing Diff cover or maybe another brand. Opinions? :headscratch:

MagHytech...cooling fins...extra capacity...dipstick....super highquality o-ring seal, NO gasket.

Wrinkle black / machined finish. Expensive but worth it!

pic. is from my Xploder. Same rear-end, I believe? :headscratch:

I installed the Shelby finned one on my GT500 but you must install a panhard bar relocating bracket . Its quite thick .

Bikeboy anyway you could do a clean up on the Explorer rear end ?:hysterical:

That was my understanding too. You could get the Shelby diff cover but had to use the panhard rod relocation bracket. Any issues with doing that?

I installed the Shelby finned one on my GT500 but you must install a panhard bar relocating bracket . Its quite thick .

Bikeboy anyway you could do a clean up on the Explorer rear end ?:hysterical:

I know, eh?

Too late now...it's gone! A week ago last Friday in fact. :salute:

It's up to the old guy who bought her from me now...

Not to highjack here, but...................................................................my new ride:

I know, eh?

Too late now...it's gone! A week ago last Friday in fact. :salute:

It's up to the old guy who bought her from me now...

Not to highjack here, but...................................................................my new ride:

I was working at a dealership in TN that had one of those shortbed Tundras that had a TRD supercharger on it and I almost crapped myself. 510 HP and 515 pounds of torque. That thing flew, so you can make your new ride roll if you spend some cash on it.

That was my understanding too. You could get the Shelby diff cover but had to use the panhard rod relocation bracket. Any issues with doing that?

I have a panhard relocation bracket on my car. You will have to replace the stock panhard reinforcement bracket (inverse U-shaped) with an aftermarket reinforcement bracket (flat) as the panhard rod will no longer slide smoothly into the U-shaped area and will bang severely on large bumps.

There is a picture of it on this forum Under "Halle beautiful black butt" or something to that effect. i gave my car the rsbt this weekend. I painted the FRP diff cover. It is a piece of cake to install.

RE: my earlier guess:

Checked back with my friend... it's the KR one. "Slightly different", according to him.

I think you can get it through Gil at Shelby.

Jer

Guys,

Apparently there is alot of misinformation on these rear covers. It is 2:30 am and I have over 70 emails and PM's to respond to, but this thread bugged me.........

The KR rear diff cover is a modified Explorer cover with cooling fins ans a .25 of a quart more in diff fluid, no extra load bolts. Stock panhard will work

The 11 GT500 is a whole new unit with cooling fins and about .14 of a quart more fluid, no extra load bolts. Stock panhard will work

The Ford Racing unit is a low profile unit, no fins, stock fluid capacity, has load bolts, Stock panhard will work

Shelby unit, not a low profile unit and requires panhard bar re-location brakets for most applications, but allows almost .5 of a quart more fluid ( doesn't sound like alot, but keeps the rear cooler) Also has extra load bolts...

Alex

Guys,

Apparently there is alot of misinformation on these rear covers. It is 2:30 am and I have over 70 emails and PM's to respond to, but this thread bugged me.........

The KR rear diff cover is a modified Explorer cover with cooling fins ans a .25 of a quart more in diff fluid, no extra load bolts. Stock panhard will work

The 11 GT500 is a whole new unit with cooling fins and about .14 of a quart more fluid, no extra load bolts. Stock panhard will work

The Ford Racing unit is a low profile unit, no fins, stock fluid capacity, has load bolts, Stock panhard will work

Shelby unit, not a low profile unit and requires panhard bar re-location brakets for most applications, but allows almost .5 of a quart more fluid ( doesn't sound like alot, but keeps the rear cooler) Also has extra load bolts...

Alex

So in your opinion which is better? The 11 GT500 with cooling fins and .14 of a quart more fluid, or the FR unit with stock capacity but with load bolts?

So in your opinion which is better? The 11 GT500 with cooling fins and .14 of a quart more fluid, or the FR unit with stock capacity but with load bolts?

I prefer the Shelby unit the best, made by the same supplier as the Ford Racing unit with the relocation brackets, or the Ford racing low profile unit as a second choice...

Alex

• 8 months later...

You could do this one-

318297_10150436517020568_204217375567_10733905_682730296_n.jpg

Made from 356-T6 cast aluminum, these girdles incorporate a reinforced crossbar. The crossbar houses the load bolts that apply pressure to the bearing caps. This feature, along with the thick casting, prevents bearing cap deflection under severe loads. Which in turn greatly reduces or eliminates (in most cases) bearing cap fatigue and failure.

This cover was specifically designed to add support to the bearing caps under severe loads and acceleration, and these girdles substantially strengthen the rear end. They also add fluid capacity, which helps to lower the fluid temperature. Comes with drain and fill plugs for easy maintenance.

Product ID: BCA-1806B

380274_10150436517145568_204217375567_10733906_1665523599_n.jpg

311069_10150436517210568_204217375567_10733907_200520465_n.jpg

303284_10150436517275568_204217375567_10733908_1617446084_n.jpg

308838_10150436517370568_204217375567_10733910_751199633_n.jpg

Specifically designed to add support to the bearing caps under severe loads and acceleration, these girdles substantially strengthen the rear end. They also add fluid capacity, which helps to lower the fluid temperature. Comes with drain and fill plugs for easy maintenance.

All Girdles are made of 356 aircraft grade aluminum, heat treated to T6 specifications, each cover is then stress relieved.

All Girdles incorporate a Fill Port and a Drain Port for ease of servicing.

All Girdles incorporate 2 load bolts with swivel "feet" for supporting the bearing caps.

All Girdles increase fluid capacity approx. 1/2 pint.

All Girdles show a decrease in operating temperature, average of 15 degrees.

Weighs about 7.5 lbs.

Improves Undercarriage Appearance.

All of our girdles machined to insure the highest quality possible. Each cover is machined using a 3 step CNC process which insures accuracy and high quality. Then each cover is hand deburred and inspected for the utmost in fit and finish. each cover is hand assembled and packaged.

Comes complete with girdle, bolts, gasket, and instructions. $179.95

I have been curious but what do aftermarket differential covers do in terms of performance and rear end benefit? Do they keep the rear gears cooler? And are having load bolts better? Sorry I am really a noob at all this stuff and I am trying to learn. Sorry for the dumb questions

I have been curious but what do aftermarket differential covers do in terms of performance and rear end benefit? Do they keep the rear gears cooler? And are having load bolts better? Sorry I am really a noob at all this stuff and I am trying to learn. Sorry for the dumb questions

Read previous post .

Is there a list somewhere of all the diff covers that are compatible with the Fays2 Watt's link?

Jer

Here are links if they work to the installation of the panhard bar relocation bracket and the Shelby axle cover on my car. I have about a thousand miles on it without any issues. Changing the fluid was easy now with the drain plug. I purchaced both items during a sale. - Kevin

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69489-shelby-american-88-axle-cover-installed/page__p__1189519__fromsearch__1#entry1189519

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69457-shelby-panhard-bar-relocation-bracket-installed/page__p__1189052__fromsearch__1#entry1189052

The Shelby one will not work with our cars since we are lowered 1.5"s. It is thicker than the Ford Racing one.

I put the Shelby diff cover on on mine whan I added 4:10 gears last summer. I just had to add the pan hard rod relocation bracket so the pan hard rod would clear.

Here are links if they work to the installation of the panhard bar relocation bracket and the Shelby axle cover on my car. I have about a thousand miles on it without any issues. Changing the fluid was easy now with the drain plug. I purchaced both items during a sale. - Kevin

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69489-shelby-american-88-axle-cover-installed/page__p__1189519__fromsearch__1#entry1189519

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69457-shelby-panhard-bar-relocation-bracket-installed/page__p__1189052__fromsearch__1#entry1189052

Can you please post a photo(s) of the panhard relocation bracket installed? And a wide shot. Thank you

Archived