TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-500KR hood for sale on E-bay

SHELBYCS6

Who's "We"?

Everyone but you

Sure we do! It breaks the monotony between the "oil" threads and the "widest tire" threads. :banghead:

I guess I don't fully understand the importance of a carbon fiber hood and splitter that combined cost half of a GT500.The Cervini fiberglass hood on my Cobra weighs half of the original and is tough as nails. The quality is also outstanding, as well as the price. Once its painted, what's the difference...especially on a car this fat!

It's a great looking hood! I would love to have one, but I'll wait for the 'glass version, and the 'glass price. It'll go nicely with my headrests...

That's great. Have fun with your Cobra then. Thanks for stopping by the KR forum and giving us your opinion, it's much appreciated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure we do! It breaks the monotony between the "oil" threads and the "widest tire" threads. :banghead:

I guess I don't fully understand the importance of a carbon fiber hood and splitter that combined cost half of a GT500.The Cervini fiberglass hood on my Cobra weighs half of the original and is tough as nails. The quality is also outstanding, as well as the price. Once its painted, what's the difference...especially on a car this fat!

It's a great looking hood! I would love to have one, but I'll wait for the 'glass version, and the 'glass price. It'll go nicely with my headrests...

Nice headrests where did you get them?

Everyone but you

That's great. Have fun with your Cobra then. Thanks for stopping by the KR forum and giving us your opinion, it's much appreciated.

Sorry that threads concerning KR parts cause you obvious distress. Did you ever stop and think that there may be some here who have interest in these topics. Its not all about you and what you personally find relevant.

Sorry that threads concerning KR parts cause you obvious distress. Did you ever stop and think that there may be some here who have interest in these topics. Its not all about you and what you personally find relevant.

Go back and look at your history of posts here on TS.

Saying that, I'll stand by my earlier comments.

When you step up to the plate and contribute something of value to the site (especially in the KR forum), perhaps I'll cut you some slack.

- Joe

(KR Registrar)

HEYYYYY!

I'm having mine done JUST like that. Same color and everything.

YOU STOLE MY IDEA! <lol>

Oh yeah, a friend of mine with a embroidery machine is doing it for free for me. Mebbe I'll steal yer picture to send him as it's a little better than the one I stole from Grabber.....

Phill

Nice headrests where did you get them?

Ya gotta "know" somone....

Any embroidery shop can make them for you. The initial set-up for their computer is the biggest cost ($50 bucks last time I paid) but the embroidery itself is real cheap.

I had my grandson's full driving suit done and it cost us less than $100, WITH the initial computer set-up cost and we had stuff done all over it. Our team name and logo that took up his full back, his WWW site across his shoulders, his name on the breast, our sponsors on the front, our shock supplier on one leg, etc. etc. etc.

Phill

I thought $3500 was astronomical for a hood... but $11000 from Shelby?! MOTHER! I mean... REALLY?! WOW. :censored:

They charge $3500.00 just for the KR *splitter*.....

Think about this. According to the article "Plasan vs. Shelby", the cost that Plasan charged Shelby for ALL 4 CARBON FIBER ITEMS (hood, splitter & 2 mirror covers) was only $3800.00, TOTAL!!!

So when they sell a Plasan Carbon Fiber splitter, they're charging their customers for what nearly ALL OF THE CARBON FIBER PIECES cost Shelby for a KR...but just for the SPLITTER itself.

Basically, once they sell a splitter, everything else after that is pure profit....

Wow, I'm in the wrong business. Either that or *I'm* doing business the right way and someone else isn't....

Phill

Wow, I'm in the wrong business. Either that or *I'm* doing business the right way and someone else isn't....

Phill

Phill,

I tend to think you are in the right, and have a much better place waiting for you!

Bingo on the embroidery. Sometimes it's "who" ya know :D

Phil,

That exactly the way I understood it on the plasan vs Shelby thing. I don't know why we aren't collectively up in arms over this. Ppl are putting plastic splitters on....plastic $150 splitters, because they are terrified of cracking their $3500 splitter from shelby that is worth about 300-500 bucks.

I too am in the wrong business. Astronomical pricing practices that we seem to allow. So it must be the right price, as long as we pay it....eh? That's pricing 101 I guess. Heck, I paid 50 bucks for that stupid reservoir cap.

At some point, ppl are going to get turned off by this. So where do I get that $150 plastic splitter?

Think about this. According to the article "Plasan vs. Shelby", the cost that Plasan charged Shelby for ALL 4 CARBON FIBER ITEMS (hood, splitter & 2 mirror covers) was only $3800.00, TOTAL!!!

So when they sell a Plasan Carbon Fiber splitter, they're charging their customers for what nearly ALL OF THE CARBON FIBER PIECES cost Shelby for a KR...but just for just the SPLITTER itself.

Basically, once they sell a splitter, everything else after that is pure profit....

Phill

Wow you are so right. :headscratch: Because it cost nothing to design the hood. It cost nothing to have molds made. It cost nothing for the crash testing.

Phill since you know so much about this subject perhaps you could fill the rest of us in on who paid for designing of the hood, the building of the molds, the many samples & revisions, and lets not forget the ubber expensive crash testing?

Steve

Wow you are so right. :headscratch: Because it cost nothing to design the hood. It cost nothing to have molds made. It cost nothing for the crash testing.

Phill since you know so much about this subject perhaps you could fill the rest of us in on who paid for designing of the hood, the building of the molds, the many samples & revisions, and lets not forget the ubber expensive crash testing?

Steve

Wait you guys did crash testing on a splitter and mirror covers??

Look everyone here (well everyone who isn't delusional) knows that the markup on some Shelby items is, let's say.... STEEP to say the least?

You have re-badged suspension items (I won't mention which ones because I'm sure most people know) that you markup because they have "Shelby" stamped on them. The Kenny Belle blower with the Shelby stamp costs quite a bit more than the exact same blower from KB because.... it's got "Shelby" stamped on there.

But people buy them because they WANT that name... so it's what the market will bear.

You're never going to win the argument that "it costs that much because of R&D," because 11k for a hood or hell even 6k for a hood is a BIG margin. And $3500 for a splitter? Come on now.

I don't know if I or anyone else could even blame you for the markup. There are other hoods that look like the KR hood that are fiberglass that costs a fraction of the KR hood... And if there was a hood (and I don't know if there is or not) that was CF that looked like the KR hood that did NOT come from Shelby I would HIGHLY suspect it would cost a fraction of 11k.

Hell if people want to pay the price then how can you argue?

But PLEASE don't insult everyone's intelligence with the "it costs xxx amount because of production costs" argument.

Just leave it as the price is what the market will bear.

EDIT: BTW Ford does the exact same thing so it's not like it's uncommon. Example... the price of a CS (California Special) bumper is about 100 bucks LESS than the price of a GT500 bumper even though they are both the exact same bumper... just different part names.

So Shelby certainly didn't invent the practice... and like I wrote, if people are willing to pay for it, who can argue?

Steve

crash testing??

KR is pre title so the KR is sold by ford, so is ford not the one who has to do the crash testing?? Shelby is just adding parts or did Shelby design the parts without ford?

Who's engineers designed the splitter and decided that was too much down force with the gt500 spoiler so they used the v6 one??

I know very little about what is involved with the carbon fiber fabrication process or what it costs to make this stuff. I have closely examined the KR hood on its top and underside and can tell you that these things are truely a work of art. Have seen many posts on other forums from guys who have purchased the look-a-likes in glass. They all seem to indicate that there is a significant amount of finish work and general putsying to do in order to make them smooth and fit properly. The standard, steel, GT500 hoods in primer from Ford are around 1,400 bucks.

Wait you guys did crash testing on a splitter and mirror covers?? The KR was crasah testes as a whole, so to answer your question, YES.

Look everyone here (well everyone who isn't delusional) knows that the markup on some Shelby items is, let's say.... STEEP to say the least?

You have re-badged suspension items (I won't mention which ones because I'm sure most people know) that you markup because they have "Shelby" stamped on them. The Kenny Belle blower with the Shelby stamp costs quite a bit more than the exact same blower from KB because.... it's got "Shelby" stamped on there. Please stay on topic. This thread is about the KR hood, correct?

But people buy them because they WANT that name... so it's what the market will bear.

You're never going to win the argument that "it costs that much because of R&D," because 11k for a hood or hell even 6k for a hood is a BIG margin. And $3500 for a splitter? Come on now. Would you please post your receipt where you paid SAI that amount?

I don't know if I or anyone else could even blame you for the markup. There are other hoods that look like the KR hood that are fiberglass that costs a fraction of the KR hood... And if there was a hood (and I don't know if there is or not) that was CF that looked like the KR hood that did NOT come from Shelby I would HIGHLY suspect it would cost a fraction of 11k. Yup CF parts cost the same as fiberglass parts.

Hell if people want to pay the price then how can you argue?

But PLEASE don't insult everyone's intelligence with the "it costs xxx amount because of production costs" argument. The only people being insulted are the ones that read "theories" not based on fact.

Just leave it as the price is what the market will bear.

EDIT: BTW Ford does the exact same thing so it's not like it's uncommon. Example... the price of a CS (California Special) bumper is about 100 bucks LESS than the price of a GT500 bumper even though they are both the exact same bumper... just different part names.

So Shelby certainly didn't invent the practice... and like I wrote, if people are willing to pay for it, who can argue?

This thread has turned into a repeat of previous threads. If you want to believe what you read on websites like Jalopnik then go ahead. I'll stick with presenting the facts.

Steve

Steve

Steve?

Are you an (paid) employee of Shelby American? My God, I hope not. Because I have to tell you that this is at least the third post I've seen from you (not to me) where you are obnoxious and condesending towards Shelby customers.

I know you did not ask me for my advice but please allow me give you ONE small tidbit of advice. Go talk to Roger and take a quick lesson on how to deal with the public. He is by FAR the best I've seen from Shelby at dealing with people. I have stated that privately to him and publically on this forum. I have a huge respect for his abiiity to communicate with people and not be a ass about it.

Now, on to your reply;

You said ""because it cost nothing to design the hood. It cost nohting to have the molds made. It cost nothing for the crash testing. Phill since you know so much about this subject perhaps you could fill the rest of us in on who paid for designing the hood, the buliding of the molds, the many samples & revisions, and let's not forget the ubber expensive crash testing".

A: FORD MOTOR COMPANY designed the KR hood. At least the final product. Shelby submitted examples and Ford either rejected them or accepted them. Ford also did the Wind Tunnel testing on the KR, hood included. Do you *seriously* the Shelby has the resources to perform ANY of the above mentioned actions?

B: Plasan made the molds for the Hoods, inner and outer. Plasan also manufactured the hoods and apparently, failed to get PAID for them. So even if Shelby had any influence in the matter, THEY did not bear any of the COST for it! That my friend, is why they were or are being sued by Plasan for over 3 MILLION dollars.

C; FORD MOTOR COMPANY did the crash testing as MANDATED by the DOT (i.e. because they HAD to, not because they WANTED to).

Shelby assembled the cars. Shelby failed to pay Plasan for the carbon fiber parts and THAT is why Plasan is suing SHELBY for non-payment and not Ford Motor Company.

Can you dispute any of that, Steve?

You come on here acting like YOU know it all and WE (at least ME, since you did use my name specifically) don't know squat in the matter.

Like I said, go see Roger and ask HIM how to deal with people in a respectful manner.

You're welcome,

Phill

This thread has turned into a repeat of previous threads. If you want to believe what you read on websites like Jalopnik then go ahead. I'll stick with presenting the facts.

Steve

I stand corrected... you're right we're all just blowing these figures out of our behinds.

Oh wait... maybe YOU should talk to Jim Owens at your company... he did an interview here that confirmed all of those aforementioned prices

My link

Of course that's only on autoblog I mean they're obviously hacks... right?

Like I wrote... you REALLY should leave this one alone.

Steve

Here are copies of the legal documents dealing with the Plasan v. SAI, direct from the US District Court in Vermont;

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/vermont/vtdce/1:2009cv00287/18390/1/0.pdf

Is that "factual" enough for you?

How about: the Mustang Heaven Blog that outlines the suit?

http://www.mustangheaven.com/2009/shelby-autos-being-sued-over-non-payment-of-gt500kr-carbon-fiber-parts/

Of the Mustang Blog that was one of the first to report the strory of the KR vs. Deer in which the high prices of KR replacement parts was exposed. And FWIW, it outlines individual prices for parts that were quoted by SAI, including the Hood ($18,400.00 + $5,000 S+H) and the splitter $3,392.50).

http://www.mustangblog.com/blog/1034879_shelby-gt500kr-owner-hit-with-31000-repair-bill-for-minor-accident

The price of the KR splitter can also be RECENTLY confirmed with a vert recent post (within the last two weeks or so) from a KR owner who broke his on a curb and called Shelby LV to get a quote for a new replacement KR splitter. He reports that he was told the cost was ~$3,500.00. He claims he tried his best to negotiate the price down but to no avail. If you (as you already have) want to continue with your assertion that the quoted price of the splitter is wrong, then you are calling a Team Shelby forum member a liar. I'll look for the thread but I did not bookmark it so I do not have it readily available to me. But if you insist.....

And then there's the anecdotal information, but confirmed by Jim Owen with KR itemized prices from 2009 in the following story from Autoblog.com.

http://www.spokentorque.com/forums/showthread.php?1517-GT500KR-Can-you-afford-to-fix-this-car

You continued to spout your own "facts" as if they are true but you can not confirm any of them.

As I like to say as often as possible, "You are entitiled to your own opinion but you are NOT entitled to your own facts."

If you want to retain your credibility with readers, you're going to have to cite sources....and not just anecdotal sources as the are nothing more than "stories".

Thank you for listening,

Phill

I stand corrected... you're right we're all just blowing these figures out of our behinds.

Oh wait... maybe YOU should talk to Jim Owens at your company... he did an interview here that confirmed all of those aforementioned prices

My link

Of course that's only on autoblog I mean they're obviously hacks... right?

Like I wrote... you REALLY should leave this one alone.

Jim Owens works for Ford, guess you didn't know that.

If any KR owners need assistance with purchasing replacement parts, my email address is in my signature line. I'd be glad to assist you with the facts and SAI policy for ordering such parts.

Steve

Jim Owens works for Ford, guess you didn't know that.

If any KR owners need assistance with purchasing replacement parts, my email address is in my signature line. I'd be glad to assist you with the facts and SAI policy for ordering such parts.

Steve

Really?

That's odd that he's listed in the article as working for Shelby motorsports.

He also has a linked in profile that shows he currently holds the position as:

* VP Marketing and Communications at Shelby Automobiles

* VP Marketing & Communications at Shelby Automobiles Inc.

Here's the link:

Jim Owens Linked In profile

Maybe you don't know who works for your company?

And since you obviously have different numbers that contradict what everyone else is posting here I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing the "actual" cost to customers for said items.

Oh BTW there's another thread about a guy who just busted his splitter here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64517-broken-front-splitter/

Was he misinformed by yet another person at Shelby that you don't know?

I don't think posting in this thread any longer is really furthering your cause.

Really?

That's odd that he's listed in the article as working for Shelby motorsports.

He also has a linked in profile that shows he currently holds the position as:

* VP Marketing and Communications at Shelby Automobiles

Here's the link:

Jim Owens Linked In profile

Maybe you don't know who works for your company?

Was he misinformed by yet another person at Shelby that you don't know?

I don't think posting in this thread any longer is really furthering your cause.

Seems as if someone at Linked In has not updated the information on there site for some time. Jim Owens DOES NOT work for Shelby American, he works for FORD. Jim Owens is the Mustang and Shelby Brand Manager for Ford Motor Company.

Chris

Archived