TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 SVT Wheel swap to Alcoas?

hirevn

I am looking at a 2011 with the SVT package (Dealer has two in stock) that uses the 19s and 20s. My highly modified 2008 gt has basically brand new 20 Alcoa SS that i would be giving up for the GT500 and was considring talking with the dealer about swaping out the wheels\tire package. Does anyone see a problem with fittment for any reason? Whats your opnions on leaving the factory SVT wheels behind and putting my Alcoas on the new car? Would the banded TPM'S communicate with the 2011 or would we need to swap sensors around?

I am looking at a 2011 with the SVT package (Dealer has two in stock) that uses the 19s and 20s. My highly modified 2008 gt has basically brand new 20 Alcoa SS that i would be giving up for the GT500 and was considring talking with the dealer about swaping out the wheels\tire package. Does anyone see a problem with fittment for any reason? Whats your opnions on leaving the factory SVT wheels behind and putting my Alcoas on the new car? Would the banded TPM'S communicate with the 2011 or would we need to swap sensors around?

The 2009 and earlier TPMS sensors and the 2010 and newer TPMS sensors do not interchange.

In essence, you would be leaving behind about $3000-$3500 worth of wheels/tires for a set of Alcoa's. At least that's been the going price for the SVTPP wheels I've seen for sale.

Phill

I figured the sensors would have to be changed sense the new ones are the valve stem style. The Alcoas were about a 3000.00 investment with tires so i guess it would be about an even swap, just have to decide if I would like the Alcoas better than what comes on the SVTPP. I guess i should have kept the stockers than I could have had both, oh well. The dealer has two new 2011's, one is white with stripe delete, SVTPP, glass roof and electronic package. The other is metallic grey with red stripe and optioned the same. I need to look at both togther to decide what combo I like best and wether to run the Alcoas or what comes on the car.

Why not find a set up used wheels on Ebay then switch them out for the alcoas before you trade. Once you have the new car, install the Alcoa's and sell the SVT wheels... thats what I would do.. nah, what I really would do is keep the SVT wheels so I could swap out from time to time.

exactly....dont give up either.....once u own the '11, try it both ways & if u need the $$, sell the set u dont like.......this way you're not "walking away" from a $3,000 set of wheels/tires.

Thanks for all the opnions guys! I sold my stock set up for a decent price and now wishing i would have held on to them. I need to go look at the new cars in person and then i can get a feel for how i like the wheels. This dealer is a few hundred miles away and its still winter here so everything will have to be done by trailering the cars, i am thinking of flying down to the dealer to check out the new ones and strike a deal first before digging out the trailer.

I've traveled a very different path to what may be a similar destination.

I ultimately opted for the SVTPP against my better judgment. It's a tremendous option for those whom it's meant to benefit, but it can also be an albatross - particularly when it comes to the wheels and tires. I've ultimately decided upon the 19" Ford Racing look-alikes because I want a different tire, but I want to preserve the SVTPP look because I like it so well.

I've flip-flopped back and forth with the notion of selling the OE wheels, particularly since they'd offset more than the cost of the replacements, but I've decided to keep them for exactly the same reason others have stated - to have a second set of track-ready tires which - whether I keep this particular car longer-term or not, I can eventually resell for very near the original price anyway. If only the SVTPP offered an all-season add-on set to go with them - I'd have gladly spent another $2,500 to have had them at purchase.

Archived