TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dexron III Trans Fluid

bjcorey1

I had my car on a lift the other day to change the rear axle cover, while my son did the work I was walking around looking at the way it was built. To my surprise I found a decal on the side of the transmission by the fill plug, it said use only Dexron III ATF. I thought that was strange since Ford said Mercon V.

I had my car on a lift the other day to change the rear axle cover, while my son did the work I was walking around looking at the way it was built. To my surprise I found a decal on the side of the transmission by the fill plug, it said use only Dexron III ATF. I thought that was strange since Ford said Mercon V.

Dump all that fluid and install Amsoil ATF full synthetic. Tremec recommends this as well. I can tell a difference.

Dump all that fluid and install Amsoil ATF full synthetic. Tremec recommends this as well. I can tell a difference.

+1. I did this and I could not believe how much of a difference it made. It was a different car afterwards. I loved it... I also did the rear diff as well. No more drive train noise and much smoother shifting

I called Tremec trechnical. I believe the tech's name that specifically deals with the 6060 is Rob. Tremec can get you in contact with him.

I have about 1500 miles on my car, I don;t have a shifting problem yet, but if I can do something as simple as changing the fluid it would be great. I don't understand how Ford can build the car and tell you to put Mercon V in the transmission and Tremec can build the transmission and tell you to put Dexron III in it, they are 2 different types of fluid so who is right ?

I have about 1500 miles on my car, I don;t have a shifting problem yet, but if I can do something as simple as changing the fluid it would be great. I don't understand how Ford can build the car and tell you to put Mercon V in the transmission and Tremec can build the transmission and tell you to put Dexron III in it, they are 2 different types of fluid so who is right ?

:lurk:

This may be an obscure Q, but related- has any Mfg. ever listed Amsoil as the recommended brand/type? I've seen Shell, Mobil, etc.

Those of you that have started to run Amsoil in your GT500, are you an Amsoil dealer?

Not a dealer. There is a distributor here in Clarksville TN that I made contact with by finding him through Google. I gave him a call and got all my fluids shipped to me.

I do know that AMSOIL has been around a very long time. You used to not be able to buy it for years. It was for race application only years ago. I signed up with my distributor for a membership and he sent me a bunch of documentation on comparisons between all the big name oil, and some of lesser names. They are serious about their synthetic oil. I will be changing in out in my Harley also when it is due a change. The Harley dealership even sells it off their shelf as an alternative to their Harley oil, and it you know how they are with their trademark products, that tells me something...

Mercon is a Ford brand and Dextron is a GM brand. Mercon V and Dextron III are essentially the same fluid but from different companies. The 6060 is approved for both. As long as you use a synthetic that meets those requirments you will be ok. Mobile 1 ATF is the only aftermarket brand synthetic Tremec has tested in the 6060 but others are fine. It is a matter of brand taste.

Then they should drop the Automatic part. :)

LOL, that is a good point. If anyone decides to make the change, this tool really helped me make the refill a snap. http://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Tools-55-001-Pump/dp/B000BQW5LK/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1297716486&sr=1-2

I opted for the Royal Purple Synchromax MANUAL transmission fluid. Wear some rubber gloves, this stuff smells pretty bad. I got some on my sweatshirt and had to toss it out. More importantly, The shifting is amazingly smooth. I have never had a grinding issue, but I still notice a difference in how smooth it shifts with the Royal Purple. I drove it really hard after I switched over, I even purposely mistimed my shifts a few times, (just a little) still no grind, The only scenario where I could think of mine grinding is if I totally botch a shift. (knock on wood)

If I remember correctly, my refill sticker said Dextron three also.

I did take the precaution of contacting the Royal Purple tech department and without hesitation they made the Synchromax recommendation. I am confident that there are other brands out there that are just as good, and a big improvement over the factory fill.

With the refill pump, the whole procedure took about 20 minutes

Has anybody checked to see if using other high quality fluids in the tranny would void any or all of the powertrain warranty? I have ground 1-2 shift in the past and if using a different fluid would help I would give it a go. However, if I still have the grinding issue and it is found that I used different fluid, then all the repairs could be on me. This would be something I would not chance.

Has anybody checked to see if using other high quality fluids in the tranny would void any or all of the powertrain warranty? I have ground 1-2 shift in the past and if using a different fluid would help I would give it a go. However, if I still have the grinding issue and it is found that I used different fluid, then all the repairs could be on me. This would be something I would not chance.

I do not know the answer to this. I think a lot depends on your relationship with your dealer. I am very lucky that my dealership is in a small town they are very performance oriented, plus I have had a relationship with them for 25+ years (ouch) If I had a grind issue, I have no doubt that they would address it and get it taken care of. There is also a pretty good chance that they would suggest a different fluid as a first step.

If you know your dealer well, I would probably run it by the service manager first.

I do not know the answer to this. I think a lot depends on your relationship with your dealer. I am very lucky that my dealership is in a small town they are very performance oriented, plus I have had a relationship with them for 25+ years (ouch) If I had a grind issue, I have no doubt that they would address it and get it taken care of. There is also a pretty good chance that they would suggest a different fluid as a first step.

If you know your dealer well, I would probably run it by the service manager first.

I have 4 Ford Dealers in a 25 mile radius. I wouldn't trust 3 of them. They would have to give it in writting first. You think they would really do that?

Yep, and my Infiniti automatic uses gear-oil.

Go figure.

Fluid makes all the difference in the world with a Tremec. I would run whatever Tremec recommends.

BAD ADVICE unless you get it straight from Ford in Writing. Ford owns the OEM warranty, not Tremec. Just because Tremec said it is ok, doesn't mean Ford will honor it.

... The 6060 is approved for both. As long as you use a synthetic that meets those requirments you will be ok. Mobile 1 ATF is the only aftermarket brand synthetic Tremec has tested in the 6060 but others are fine. It is a matter of brand taste.

Then who's right? Another TS poster said Tremec called out Amsoil....

BAD ADVICE unless you get it straight from Ford in Writing. Ford owns the OEM warranty, not Tremec. Just because Tremec said it is ok, doesn't mean Ford will honor it.

As long as the fluid matches the specs of the fluids listed as OK in the owners manual, should be okay.

If not, I agree 100% with you and didn't think of that. Run what will be warrantied if all else fails.

Archived