TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Top Speed?

Ezareth

Haha! Gotta love it! Wonder if it could be done electronically, with a little box or something on the VSS sensor connector.

Yes, it can be done electronically. The VSS is just a pulse generator and basically the VSS sends just sends a pulse signal to the PCU.

X pulses per min/sec = N MPH, or Y distance in Z time which calculates out to MPH. It is a REALLY simple system although some may generate a A/C sine wave that has to be converted to a digital signal via a A/D converter. On the old GM's, the A/D converter was actually in-line rather than incorporated in the PCU.

I'm not any good at that kind of thing but I'll bet it would be easy to make a dongle that cut out every other pulse, or ever 3rd pulse, or something to that effect.

Anyone wanna try?

Phill

Yes, it can be done electronically. The VSS is just a pulse generator and basically the VSS sends just sends a pulse signal to the PCU.

X pulses per min/sec = N MPH, or Y distance in Z time which calculates out to MPH. It is a REALLY simple system although some may generate a A/C sine wave that has to be converted to a digital signal via a A/D converter. On the old GM's, the A/D converter was actually in-line rather than incorporated in the PCU.

I'm not any good at that kind of thing but I'll bet it would be easy to make a dongle that cut out every other pulse, or ever 3rd pulse, or something to that effect.

Anyone wanna try?

Phill

Being electronically challenged enables asking this: Could such a gizmo be made that would basically freeze the speedo input at maybe 150mph as the car actually reached that speed so as to not activate the governor in the first place, and then begin reading normal again below that speed?

Imagine that, defeating the speed gov without voiding the warranty! I'd have to save my pennies, nickles, dimes, and twenties so as to buy one of those.

• 3 years later...

doesn't the vss also tell the speedo how fast you are going? If you cut every other gear off won't the speedo show half the speed?

Yes and yes.

FWIW, since posting this information way back when I did, I figured out a much easier way to defeat the Vehicle Speed Limiter (VSL) and fool the PCM. Essentially it's the old "Garbage In = Garbage Out".

I used my Ford Racing Perf. Parts (FRPP) Pro-cal tuner to change the rear gear ratio input from the "true" 3.55:1 gear ratio to the max allowed by the Pro-cal, 6.00:1.

That completely defeated the VSL and allowed me to run a wind aided 183 mph with plenty of speed left to go (but no track). The speedo is inaccurate but my windshield mounted GPS gave me my actual and accurate speed so I was still able to drive it on the street between track days.

It did set a code telling me the gear ratio was out of range for the car so I set it to somewhere in the mid 4:1 ratio and that light/code went away too.

Just one more way to skin a cat,

Phill

Archived