TEAM SHELBY FORUM

anyone go with the 660hp package ?

You'll want more hp very quickly... I would get the most hp you can afford now under the Shelby name. If you get the biggest package under the Shelby name, a) you won't want to upgrade as quickly as the car will be stupid fast, B) the car will maintain its "original" Shelby status. If you get the lower hp car and do some mods to make it faster, it won't be original anymore. c) It will likely cost you less to go with more hp from Shelby if you do it on your original SS purchase than adding hp later from another source.

If I could have purchased the 725 hp package when I got mine I would have. It wasn't offered for vert's. That's my $.02

Don

I have a 2010 and i am thinking about ss , I know you cant really use all 750 horses with the traction problems is it worth getting the standard 660 package or go all the way with 750

I have a 2010. Shelby American's business decision not to have a white stripe option on the 2010's made my decision not to SS my car for me so I decided to "make my own".

When debating the supercharger options, I wanted to stick with the two FRPP offerings. A 2.3L TVS or a 2.9L Whipple. Being a typical "guy", I knew I'd never be satisfied with the 2.3L and that I'd aways want "more". So I decided on the 2.9L and if I wanted "more", I could always modify/tune it up for more. My logic was that if I bought the 2.3L and wanted more, it would cost me MUCH more to get the same amount of HP as the "stock" Whipple 2.9L could give me so rather than spend the money twice, I'd do it once.

Then with the Whipple there were two options. Black or Polished. The polished 2.9L is only $300 more at the time of purchase so that was a no-brainer. If I wanted it polished after the fact, I'd pay about a grand...

So I went with the Whipple 2.9L polished with a FRPP tune.

I will likey (in the future) take the car to Gil Naverez at Shelby American Motorsports to get a "second" tune for running the Mojave Mile events. It is said that Gil gets another 100HP out of the Whipple 2.9L vs the FRPP tune so he's the guy I'll likely take my car to (he's within driving distance of me, in Co. Springs CO).

Choices choices choices,

Phill

You'll want more hp very quickly... I would get the most hp you can afford now under the Shelby name. If you get the biggest package under the Shelby name, a) you won't want to upgrade as quickly as the car will be stupid fast, B) the car will maintain its "original" Shelby status. If you get the lower hp car and do some mods to make it faster, it won't be original anymore. c) It will likely cost you less to go with more hp from Shelby if you do it on your original SS purchase than adding hp later from another source.

If I could have purchased the 725 hp package when I got mine I would have. It wasn't offered for vert's. That's my $.02

Don

I agree with going big, I believe the current big h.p. offering is the KB 3.6LC @ 800h.p. That is where I would go.........if I chose to go big.

It is not that 800h.p. needs to be displayed every time the car is driven, but "if" you decide to pin yourself back in the seat from time to time, the big boy is the way to go, as long as the wallet allows for "big".

R

Take it from me 10GT500KonaBlue, I had a '10 with a TVS and it was fun but wasn't "enough"! Oh it popped the motor all right, and was mild compared with others who run a 2.3, smaller pulley, tune, bigger injectors, TB, etc. Its a personal choice, and you might be happy to stop with a 2.3, but most don't and then you just want more. I had an opportunity to get a black '11 that I want to SS, so made the switch from the '10 to '11. But even if funds don't allow it, I will go with a 2.9 at a minimum. There's just more opportunity to get bigger power. So I join the previous posters who offer the same advice to go with the bigger blower.

HTH,

-HAWKBARR

I have a 2010 and i am thinking about ss , I know you cant really use all 750 horses with the traction problems is it worth getting the standard 660 package or go all the way with 750

thanks

I'm with everybody else. I have an 08 SS that started out w/the 725 hp package. As you can see below it now has the 3.6KB LC. It is never enough. I've widened my wheels and run wider tires to help get the power to the ground. Even though it is not perfect traction, once you are rolling and the traction catches up LOOK OUT!!! Highway challenges are NEVER lost.

You never have enough hp. Plus once you get use to it(what ever the level), you will always want more. So go for the most you can afford. Shelby now has a 900 hp option. If I was doing mine now it would be 900hp.

What ever you get, drive it and enjoy it. They are very fun cars and draw alot of attention.

BJ

Take it from me 10GT500KonaBlue, I had a '10 with a TVS and it was fun but wasn't "enough"!

AHEM!

I'm not one of those "I told you so" kind'a guys, but....................

<evil grin>

Phill

AHEM!

I'm not one of those "I told you so" kind'a guys, but....................

<evil grin>

Phill

LOL! Phil you crack me up !! Remember all the advice you gave me to get the 2.9 and I still went with the 2.3? Well. I should be less stubborn and a better listener. I may still have MY 2010 Kona Blue White stripe car also !!

All kidding aside, I think the kinds of folks who buy these cars are really in to the power aspect, myself included. On a side note, I'm going to drive down to THE SPRINGS just to see your car one of these days.....

TTYL,

HAWKBARR

I'm with everybody else. I have an 08 SS that started out w/the 725 hp package. As you can see below it now has the 3.6KB LC. It is never enough. I've widened my wheels and run wider tires to help get the power to the ground. Even though it is not perfect traction, once you are rolling and the traction catches up LOOK OUT!!! Highway challenges are NEVER lost.

You never have enough hp. Plus once you get use to it(what ever the level), you will always want more. So go for the most you can afford. Shelby now has a 900 hp option. If I was doing mine now it would be 900hp.

What ever you get, drive it and enjoy it. They are very fun cars and draw alot of attention.

BJ

BJ - The 900hp option is the KB 3.6LC. I asked Roger about the 800 vs. 900 for the 3.6LC, he stated that 800 is at the rear wheels, 900 at the flywheel. There are also some additional items, cams, long tubes etc. that can now be installed at SA Motorsports bringing the 3.6LC to 1000hp.

Here is the thread related to this. I asked my 800hp question on page 2 of the thread below, it is post #39. Roger answered in the next post, #40.................

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64686-new-super-snake-900-hp-pkg/

When I bought the 3.6LC upgrade, I was under the assumption that is was 800hp at the flywheel, a 75hp upgrade from my 2.8H at 725........

R

BJ - The 900hp option is the KB 3.6LC. I asked Roger about the 800 vs. 900 for the 3.6LC, he stated that 800 is at the rear wheels, 900 at the flywheel. There are also some additional items, cams, long tubes etc. that can now be installed at SA Motorsports bringing the 3.6LC to 1000hp.

Here is the thread related to this. I asked my 800hp question on page 2 of the thread below, it is post #39. Roger answered in the next post, #40.................

http://www.teamshelb...ake-900-hp-pkg/

When I bought the 3.6LC upgrade, I was under the assumption that is was 800hp at the flywheel, a 75hp upgrade from my 2.8H at 725........

R

Robert, Thnx for the info. I haven't had time to get the car dynoed since the install. It has a John Lund tune and MAN it feels like more the 75 hp!! I told Van who set up the transaction for me that now the car is under tired again!

Now it all makes sense.

Thnx again,

BJ

Robert, Thnx for the info. I haven't had time to get the car dynoed since the install. It has a John Lund tune and MAN it feels like more the 75 hp!! I told Van who set up the transaction for me that now the car is under tired again!

Now it all makes sense.

Thnx again,

BJ

Let me know what you find out once the car is dyno'ed.

John Lund is in So. Fla.? right?

Please add some pictures of the installed 3.6LC...........

R

Archived