TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pin Noise

When driving at say 55mph and hitting mild bumps, I hear rattling noise from the hood. Only thing I can find is the hood pins. Maybe there is enough wind factor on the lanyard to move the pin around. I am not worried. Just wondered if others have heard the same thing. I am a bit picky about unusual noises coming from my car :-) Casey

Never heard that myself. My thinking is the only things on the pins that might cause that are the rings, loose or one has slipped out of the ring hole, or the wire is pulled out too far and flapping in the wind.

That said usually the forward movement of the car pushing both downward and fast against the hood but that may be just the few times I had an SGT behind me.

To test you might want to pull the pins, wrap them up and tuck them under the hood and see if the problem disappears.

if your hood has up and down play adjust the rubber bumpers on the front to remove the play, thus reducing any rattle...

I agree with Bill. It's probably the hood itself causing the noise. Adjust the bumpers that are mounted in the center of the radiator cover and see if that doesn't help. Good luck

if your hood has up and down play adjust the rubber bumpers on the front to remove the play, thus reducing any rattle...

I would recommend care when playing with these. If the pins slide back and forth <---> easily then adjust upward to raise the hood so they take some pressure to move. But if they are tight I wouldn't mess with them as I have seen owners that have and NEVER really get them right again ending up playing with them all the time.

But again moving the pins under the hood will tell you if that's the source one way or the other.

IMHO!

Thanks. My pins are not snug. They just flop around and slide back and forth. Pretty loose and definitely not functional. I should try adjusting the rubber bumpers? Anyone have a pic so I dont adjust the wrong thing? (I know what rubber bumpers are - I just to make sure I am adjusting the right thing. Thanks, Casey

I too had this same "issue" with my 2007 SGT... And shouldn't be a problem for any of the 2008 models, as the pin design was changed completely... So after replacing a set of the OEM 60's style pins with a replacement set from SAI in late 2007, I switched to set of the 2008 style when they became available on-line... Only I painted mine black...

post-8727-0-06495500-1297625933_thumb.jpg

Suffice to say, I haven't had any problems with loose fitting or squeaking hood pins since mid-2008... Whether it is on the track or going out for dinner, the 2008 version does a much better job... However, you do give up that "factory" look if you replace these on the 2006-2007 GT-H cars and the 2007 SGT models...

Gregg

07SGT0547

post-8727-0-06495500-1297625933_thumb.jpg

Thanks. My pins are not snug. They just flop around and slide back and forth. Pretty loose and definitely not functional. I should try adjusting the rubber bumpers? Anyone have a pic so I dont adjust the wrong thing? (I know what rubber bumpers are - I just to make sure I am adjusting the right thing. Thanks, Casey

Casey, I have a friend that had the same issue, and after giving up on the dealer, we played with them ourselves. It's pretty easy to see how they turn to go upwards. The balance is that the more you raise them the more difficult it can be to close the hood. There are outboard and inboard bumpers so you may want to use a white or yellow paint pen to mark their current position and then adjust a little by pair, close, test, rinse and repeat. Marking them will allow you to know when you've gone back to the original placement etc. I would start with the inner ones first otherwise you may soon see the hood higher than than the fender. On the other hand you may already be lower than the fender so adjust as needed.

It's going to be trial and error, adjusting all of them, so give yourself some time. Good luck!

Casey, I own a 2007 GT-H and I didn't like the fact that the hood pins slid (side to side) so I also added thin rubber tubing to the insert pin and no more sliding around. It also keeps the original factory look. As an added benefit anytime I have the oil changed I have to show the mechanics how to open the hood.

Casey, I own a 2007 GT-H and I didn't like the fact that the hood pins slid (side to side) so I also added thin rubber tubing to the insert pin and no more sliding around. It also keeps the original factory look. As an added benefit anytime I have the oil changed I have to show the mechanics how to open the hood.

Thanks, I was thinking this might be a quick and easy solution too. Thanks for all the feedback. I will get it right one way or another. Thanks, Casey

When driving at say 55mph and hitting mild bumps, I hear rattling noise from the hood. Only thing I can find is the hood pins. Maybe there is enough wind factor on the lanyard to move the pin around. I am not worried. Just wondered if others have heard the same thing. I am a bit picky about unusual noises coming from my car :-) Casey

Another possible cause could be the GT-H hood scrubbing against the strut bar or other parts under the hood. The GT-H hood needs to be shimmed where the hood bolts to the lifts to get the hood properly fitted from windshield to front of the car. (some cars may not need this but the fiberglass hoods can be inconsistent in shape) I added a GT-H hood to my SGT and had a rubbing or squeak until I checked my GT-H and noticed the hood shims. Now it is ok. Be careful when raising and lowering the hood if you do decide to shim to ensure the hood pins holes line up correctly. Hope this helps, Larry

Another possible cause could be the GT-H hood scrubbing against the strut bar or other parts under the hood. The GT-H hood needs to be shimmed where the hood bolts to the lifts to get the hood properly fitted from windshield to front of the car. (some cars may not need this but the fiberglass hoods can be inconsistent in shape) I added a GT-H hood to my SGT and had a rubbing or squeak until I checked my GT-H and noticed the hood shims. Now it is ok. Be careful when raising and lowering the hood if you do decide to shim to ensure the hood pins holes line up correctly. Hope this helps, Larry

It only does it at high speeds and bumpy roads (which we have plenty of here in Chicago). I think I will try the hood pins first since it is an easier fix. I bought the pins at NAPA, so they may be smaller than the originals. (When I bought the car, the original pins were gone - who would want Shelby hood pins?? Not like they are that special). Casey

Archived