TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CTS-V will not be the problem for us the ZL1 Camaro will

COBRA32

The Camaro ZL1 will have 550 horsepower and a tire setup we can only dream about. Big 20-by-11 inch forged aluminum wheels with 305/35 Goodyear Eagle F1 G:2 tires in the rear. The front wheels measure 20-by-10 with 285-width tires. The head engineer said the ZL1 has more manageable torque than the GT500. This means faster acceleration than the GT500. Ford needs to put bigger tires on the GT500 from the factory. It is just down wright stupid for Ford to put these small a$$ tire on the GT500. Ford SVT needs to listen to the Customer and gives us some bigger tires and an auto as option like everyone one else does on their top performance cars. I guess we will have to mod our cars to keep up with a stock ZL1 Camaro. Ford wake up and smell the coffee and slap some bigger tires on it already. So we can launch our cars like they were meant too.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Camaro ZL1 will have 550 horsepower and a tire setup we can only dream about. Big 20-by-11 inch forged aluminum wheels with 305/35 Goodyear Eagle F1 G:2 tires in the rear. The front wheels measure 20-by-10 with 285-width tires. The head engineer said the ZL1 has more manageable torque than the GT500. This means faster acceleration than the GT500. Ford needs to put bigger tires on the GT500 from the factory. It is just down wright stupid for Ford to put these small a$$ tire on the GT500. Ford SVT needs to listen to the Customer and gives us some bigger tires and an auto as option like everyone one else does on their top performance cars. I guess we will have to mod our cars to keep up with a stock ZL1 Camaro. Ford wake up and smell the coffee and slap some bigger tires on it already. So we can launch our cars like they were meant too.

Leave us alone you troll. We don't want to hear about anything but cars with SRA's, skinny rear tires, and 5.4L engines.

Oh...sorry. You own a GT500, Cobra32?

My mistake.

Those are very good observations, sir, but I bet Ford has something up their sleeve!

what is up with all these GM post in here. Should a, would a, could a, if you did not like the tire size on the Shelby a. why did you buy it, b. go get bigger tires or street slicks or c. stop complaining. Personally I like to spin my tires off the rim and have no intention of street racing anyone so I get the option in Florida of having my car taken away from me for good. Get them at the track and talk smack. There will always be something out there bigger, badder etc. The interior of the Camaro looks cheap. They put the gages down at the shifter where ya you can really see them and knobs large enough a polar bear could turn them on the climate control. Can we get some valued Shelby info in here? :slapfight:

One thing to consider with wider tires, not that I wouldn't like wider but, fuel milage. The Manufactures will still have to justify CAFE and I would be interested on the milage for the Z28 as compared to the GT500. Yeah I know, if you buy a car of this caliber you don't worry about milage however, the Feds do.

One thing to consider with wider tires, not that I wouldn't like wider but, fuel milage. The Manufactures will still have to justify CAFE and I would be interested on the milage for the Z28 as compared to the GT500. Yeah I know, if you buy a car of this caliber you don't worry about milage however, the Feds do.

The Grand Sport has 325's out back and the base C6 has 285's out back.

They are EPA rated the same.

The CTS-V hoovers down gasoline. I would bet the Z28 will do the same.

Leave us alone you troll. We don't want to hear about anything but cars with SRA's, skinny rear tires, and 5.4L engines.

Oh...sorry. You own a GT500, Cobra32?

My mistake.

Those are very good observations, sir, but I bet Ford has something up their sleeve!

WHY DON'T YOU STOP WITH THE RUDE COMMENTS :slapfight:

Seriously......I absolutely love my car. I took it out the other day when it was 45*, laid a bunch of rubber just so I could giggle my ass off. Would I like wider rear tires?......yes. Am I going to widen my stock wheels to be able to do so?...yes. There are always faster cars, blah- fu&%in- blah. I'm not magazine racing ZR1's, Lambos or what the F ever. I bought my car to enjoy the hell out of it. If I won the lottery, I'm sure I'd buy a "supercar" or 2, but I would also still be buying these Shelbys. Point is.....I don't care how fast you make it, it is still ugly as shit. I like the hood, and thats it. You can have a great engine, and wider tires, and a quicker 0-60 but it makes no matter if you're still driving a car who's interior is typical late80's GM. They really dropped the turd/ball on it. I made up my mind to buy one when the concept came out, but the final product is a POS. Go sit in it and drive it. You can take your wider tires and drive off the ugly-cliff.

The Grand Sport has 325's out back and the base C6 has 285's out back.

They are EPA rated the same.

The CTS-V hoovers down gasoline. I would bet the Z28 will do the same.

And that is the way GM had to cheat to beat the '10 GT500. In previous years, GM put up a Vette with the Z51 package to beat the GT500. As of '10, that wasn't good enough and the Grand Sport with the 325 rears had to be used and if I recall, it barely beat the '10 GT500. GM must, progressively, compete with more expensive options to win and yet Ford is keeping the prices down so more can enjoy the experince. The one-up-manship will continue...

And that is the way GM had to cheat to beat the '10 GT500. In previous years, GM put up a Vette with the Z51 package to beat the GT500. As of '10, that wasn't good enough and the Grand Sport with the 325 rears had to be used and if I recall, it barely beat the '10 GT500. GM must, progressively, compete with more expensive options to win and yet Ford is keeping the prices down so more can enjoy the experince. The one-up-manship will continue...

Cheat by using wider tires because the car weighs more? I guess I will claim Ford is cheating by using a supercharger. :doh:

The Z51 and the Grand Sport perform all but identically in every way. This has been debated over and over and over on the 'vette forum, and the general consensus is that noone and no independent agency has EVER gotten 3.95 0-60 out of the GS. It's GM marketing wizardry. As to handling, the Z51 'vette still trumps anything the GT500 has ever run at VIR, except for that run SVT made which is similar to GM's 3.95 0-60.

The extra weight of the GS causes the added tire-width to be a moot point.

The Grand Sport can be had for high 40's brand new, though, since you brought up price.

The Z51 and the Grand Sport perform all but identically. This has been debated over and over and over on the 'vette forum, and the general consensus is that noone and no independent agency has EVER gotten 3.95 0-60 out of the GS. It's GM marketing wizardry. As to handling, the Z51 'vette still trumps anything the GT500 has ever run at VIR, except for that run SVT made which is similar to GM's 3.95 0-60.

The extra weight of the GS causes the added tire-width to be a moot point.

The Grand Sport can be had for high 40's brand new, though, since you brought up price.

Sorry, I raise the BS flag and am DONE!!! with your comments!

I'm glad that they are calling it the ZL1 and not a Z28. I've said all along that the Z28 should be the name they put on a Camaro to compete against the Boss 302(like in the old days. Lol) and the ZL1 should go on the top dog Camaro. I can't wait to see one. :) This will probably mean a TVS and stickier tires for the GT500 in 2013. I don't see Ford doing anything drastic with the Mustang/GT500/SVT etc until the redesign in 2014.

Sorry, I raise the BS flag and am DONE!!! with your comments!

What are you raising the BS flag on? Sorry if you don't like them there facts.

Here is your $47K Grand Sport. Brand new, 2011, ready for you to take home.

http://forums.corvette.com/c6-dealer-inventory/2772464-incredible-1lt-grand-sport-price-2011-a.html

Here is your Z51 2009 Corvette C&D test:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/925982bb5598af320b0a07bc6f1b7be1.pdf

Here is your Grand Sport C&D test:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/c89c8f6d2acf47ae9af158211314c5cf.pdf

To sum it up for you, the Z51 pulled .1G more on the skidpad, was .2 seconds faster 0-60, and ran the 1/4 mile .2 seconds and 2mph faster than the Grand Sport. it's lane-change was 65.1 compared to 63.3mph, and it stopped from 70-0 in 152 feet on average, vs the GS's 154 feet average.

Sorry they were on different days, but if the location of the moon matters so much with results on the skidpad and drag-strip and between the cones, then that supports my claim even further that the cars are equal performers.

So, do you care to support your "BS" claim? I supported mine.

Competition can only be good for the muscle car market, I just hope in the future we can still have these arguments on the forums. I fear the day when gas may be the price of what it is overseas and I'm thinking that day may not be far off and these beasts will be long gone.

Competition can only be good for the muscle car market, I just hope in the future we can still have these arguments on the forums. I fear the day when gas may be the price of what it is overseas and I'm thinking that day may not be far off and these beasts will be long gone.

Exactly!! Also the GT500 has been the top muscle car for the last 5 yrs running and it's about time for some valid competition to step into the ring. I see the end of these outrageous high horsepower machines coming soon. We gotta enjoy them while we can. That said....the sun is shining and I'm heading out for a short cruise in the blue beast. :shift:

I'm glad that they are calling it the ZL1 and not a Z28. I've said all along that the Z28 should be the name they put on a Camaro to compete against the Boss 302(like in the old days. Lol) and the ZL1 should go on the top dog Camaro. I can't wait to see one. :) This will probably mean a TVS and stickier tires for the GT500 in 2013. I don't see Ford doing anything drastic with the Mustang/GT500/SVT etc until the redesign in 2014.

The G:2 represents (supposedly...) the best in current tire technology, from what I understand. I think Ford really needs to hook the car up before putting a TVS on, or it will only improve trap-speed and roll-ons, not the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times that "sell cars".

I think it would be really cool if Ford put a Watt's and 305's under the car for 2013 to tide people over until 2014.

Exactly!! Also the GT500 has been the top muscle car for the last 5 yrs running and it's about time for some valid competition to step into the ring. I see the end of these outrageous high horsepower machines coming soon. We gotta enjoy them while we can. That said....the sun is shining and I'm heading out for a short cruise in the blue beast. :shift:

Lucky. Rainy and nasty here.

I agree 100%. Without Chevy, Ford would be nowhere near as performance-oriented. Same for Chevy.

That is part of why I bought my car now instead of later in life. I'm scared we will stop seeing 7+ liter V8's and supercharged 5.4's and the like.

I'm jealous :)

http://forums.corvette.com/c6-dealer-inventory/2772464-incredible-1lt-grand-sport-price-2011-a.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/925982bb5598af320b0a07bc6f1b7be1.pdf

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/c89c8f6d2acf47ae9af158211314c5cf.pdf

To sum it up for you, the Z51 pulled .1G more on the skidpad, was .2 seconds faster 0-60, and ran the 1/4 mile .2 seconds and 2mph faster than the Grand Sport. it's lane-change was 65.1 compared to 63.3mph, and it stopped from 70-0 in 152 feet on average, vs the GS's 154 feet average.

Sorry they were on different days, but if the location of the moon matters so much with results on the skidpad and drag-strip and between the cones, then that supports my claim even further that the cars are equal performers.

Here is another Grand Sport in the same range. http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbeck.nsf/corvette_special_offers

Just another example of how utterly ridiculous new car sticker prices really are and why nobody in their right mind would ever pay them.

it may seem all over to some,but i think the GT500 will be fine.if FORD uses the same set up as the GT350 they will do fine.the GT350 uses a supercharged 5.0,and with less power than the GT500 beats it in the 1/4mile and 0-60.so,with that set up,with better tires and a bump in power to 600hp,the good OL SHELBY GT500 will be fine,or do a GT500 R model with that set up,and strip it down like the 2000 cobra R. :happy feet:

it may seem all over to some,but i think the GT500 will be fine.if FORD uses the same set up as the GT350 they will do fine.the GT350 uses a supercharged 5.0,and with less power than the GT500 beats it in the 1/4mile and 0-60.so,with that set up,with better tires and a bump in power to 600hp,the good OL SHELBY GT500 will be fine,or do a GT500 R model with that set up,and strip it down like the 2000 cobra R. :happy feet:

600HP from a TVS fed 5.0 is a jump shot. Look for some real badass 5.0s in the not to distant future.

600HP from a TVS fed 5.0 is a jump shot. Look for some real badass 5.0s in the not to distant future.

i forgot to say this.with the new 5.0,from FORD,you can get an upgrade on the superchargers.this might sound stupid,but it is possible.with that upgrade from ford,they could put the 624hp to use.i mentioned the cobra R of 2000.they could use the 624hp and call it a cobra R,and that would destroy the zl1. :happy feet:

The G:2 represents (supposedly...) the best in current tire technology, from what I understand. I think Ford really needs to hook the car up before putting a TVS on, or it will only improve trap-speed and roll-ons, not the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times that "sell cars".

I think it would be really cool if Ford put a Watt's and 305's under the car for 2013 to tide people over until 2014.

Lucky. Rainy and nasty here.

I agree 100%. Without Chevy, Ford would be nowhere near as performance-oriented. Same for Chevy.

That is part of why I bought my car now instead of later in life. I'm scared we will stop seeing 7+ liter V8's and supercharged 5.4's and the like.

The Pirelli P Zero Corsa's used on the Boss 302 Laguna Seca would help out tons on a GT500. They are basically a street/competition tire.

Pirelli Tires for 2012 Boss 302

It's was nice here. Heh heh.

In the background you can see the hideous retractable roof structure that they are putting on BC Place.

IMAG0017.jpg

Howdy JWG223...

How come these guys can go back and forth, make rude personal comments...and hotly debate, Camaros, vettes, & Cadillacs vs. GT500 and NOT have this thread "LOCKED"...?

Oh, yeah...those a "Red Blooded American" cars, not some Nazi German car like the M3...

It's a question of "racism" as you pointed out to jimbola23 when he called me a "Nazi-commie-hippie" for my observations on Gt500 vs. M3 on the thread y'all started titled Mustang GT vs. M3...that is now "locked".

Howdy JWG223...

How come these guys can go back and forth, make rude personal comments...and hotly debate, Camaros, vettes, & Cadillacs vs. GT500 and NOT have this thread "LOCKED"...?

Oh, yeah...those a "Red Blooded American" cars, not some Nazi German car like the M3...

It's a question of "racism" as you pointed out to jimbola23 when he called me a "Nazi-commie-hippie" for my observations on Gt500 vs. M3 on the thread y'all started titled Mustang GT vs. M3...that is now "locked".

ninja.gif

So- only worship Ford here- no one can ask that the GT500 gets improved? Whatever, Radical08.

That is exactly correct only worship the GT500 and if you are not an owner or lover of one, get out and visit the appropriate forum. Do you even own one? Can't tell by your info. If so post your pic.

There are big discounts on Corvettes because their sales have really really tanked. Calender year sales in 2009 were at the lowest levels since 1961 and guess what happened in calendar year 2010? Well they decreased 10% compared to 2009. I mean a volume of less than 13,000 sales in 1 year is really low.

http://www.edmunds.com/about/press/corvette-drops-to-50-year-sales-low-as-sports-cars-sputter-reports-edmunds-autoobservercom.html

Now what I will really be interested in is how many sales will the ZL1 Camaro take from the Corvette? Heck, even if the LT1 takes just 1,000 sales from Corvette that would amount to almost 10% of total Corvette sales given the recent low volume of Corvette.

Archived