TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Found This For Sale, While Looking For A New Truck...

BIKEBOY

Hey all,

I sold my DD last week, and have been on the search for a new truck. I came across this last night on the lot at Dodge City in Burlington NJ. The guy traded it in on a new SRT8 Chally.

2007 with 11,417 miles. Exhaust is aftermkt. obviously, there is a K&N CAI...stock shifter...no dashplaque, and no external cosmetic mods. Tires look original as well. It was dark and cold out, so I drove my Dodge Ram HEMI that I came to see, and only looked briefly at the 500. These pics are from their website.

I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THIS CAR OR THE STEALERSHIP IN ANY WAY !! Just trying to pay forward the Shelby goodwill to someone in the area that might be looking! :)

The asking price on their site is $33, 988.

BIKEBOY :shift:

EDIT- Steve, in case you are looking....VIN# 1ZVHT88S175200426

If I end up going back to 'said' dealership to buy the RAM....would anyone like pics.?

It will be a couple days before I make my decision on the truck. Let me know. I could look it over more closely, and advise on the 'true' condition. I am VERY fussy!

BIKEBOY

If I end up going back to 'said' dealership to buy the RAM....would anyone like pics.?

It will be a couple days before I make my decision on the truck. Let me know. I could look it over more closely, and advise on the 'true' condition. I am VERY fussy!

BIKEBOY

You may want to rethink you purchase of the Ram cause the Dodge Boys are ether at the park with a beer and a joint Or they may be at the local crack house getting there fix for the afternoon run

You may want to rethink you purchase of the Ram cause the Dodge Boys are ether at the park with a beer and a joint Or they may be at the local crack house getting there fix for the afternoon run

Too funny.......I remember seeing that vid. !!!

You are right! Eeeeshh!

Silver stripes? Only on the 40th package, right? :headscratch:

Thats NOT a 40th car.

Tungsten stripes were an option on white in 07.

Why anybody would want white without blue stripes is beyond mecool.gif

BIKEBOY

That car has been at that stealership for a least 6 months. I pass there at least once a week. The tungsten stripes caught my eye too, I figured it was a rare combo.

FWIW; My brother in law had a bad experience there with a Ram truck he bought many years back. They beat him up pretty good (very long story). He swore he would never buy from them again.

Rich

That car has been at that stealership for a least 6 months. I pass there at least once a week. The tungsten stripes caught my eye too, I figured it was a rare combo.

FWIW; My brother in law had a bad experience there with a Ram truck he bought many years back. They beat him up pretty good (very long story). He swore he would never buy from them again.

Rich

Oohh...OK, good to know. Funny you bring that up. They have a picture on Traderonline.com of the speedo 9232 miles. (Ram Truck) I get there last night to check it out, and there is a dealer tag on it and now it has 10,000 miles. They try to tell me it got traded in with 9600 and change?????????? I tell them to bring up on their computer, right now, the picture online to see the speedo shot! They of course start backpedaling right away. The young sales mgr. has been driving this thing home ALOT! Obviously...

Nonetheless, it`s in great shape, and is really nice. Thank goodness he (sales mgr.) hasn`t smoked in it!

Oohh...OK, good to know. Funny you bring that up. They have a picture on Traderonline.com of the speedo 9232 miles. (Ram Truck) I get there last night to check it out, and there is a dealer tag on it and now it has 10,000 miles. They try to tell me it got traded in with 9600 and change?????????? I tell them to bring up on their computer, right now, the picture online to see the speedo shot! They of course start backpedaling right away. The young sales mgr. has been driving this thing home ALOT! Obviously...

Nonetheless, it`s in great shape, and is really nice. Thank goodness he (sales mgr.) hasn`t smoked in it!

If you do go back, be on your full guard. (which it seems you already are with a 750+ miles discrepancy from thier ad) :redcard:

I should add this incident was several years ago. Also, my brother in law is not the sharpest tool in the shed and they likely took full advantage of him. When my sister in law went back to straighten out the issues all hell broke loose. They may have broken a few buyer protection laws.

LOL, I went to look at a used Ram1500 they had at my dealership for 30,000. When I arrived the truck had just got sold. The salesman asked what I was looking for, I told him a 1yr old truck with low miles, color I wanted and so on. After about 20 minutes he came back and told me he could not locate one but he had a brand new one with all the options I was asking for. Well after talking for a minute I asked the price and he stated it listed for just over 48k. I laughed and told him no and walked out. Two days later he called and told me he could get it down to 43k with Dodge incentives, again I said no. Well another two days again he calls and says you need to come in and drive the truck blah..blah..blah. Well I gave in and drove it and liked it. He then stated he could save me more money, they lowered to 36.5k again I said no my budget was 30k. So back and forth we went for another hour and I ended getting out of there with a 48k truck for....here we go.....33,765 dollars. You cant tell me the mark up is minimal, I just love the prices they mark up on these vehicles these day.

Point being, just hold your ground and if they want to sell it they have room to move. I went in looking for a nice used truck and ended up with a brand new one with 22 miles on it.

LOL, I went to look at a used Ram1500 they had at my dealership for 30,000. When I arrived the truck had just got sold. The salesman asked what I was looking for, I told him a 1yr old truck with low miles, color I wanted and so on. After about 20 minutes he came back and told me he could not locate one but he had a brand new one with all the options I was asking for. Well after talking for a minute I asked the price and he stated it listed for just over 48k. I laughed and told him no and walked out. Two days later he called and told me he could get it down to 43k with Dodge incentives, again I said no. Well another two days again he calls and says you need to come in and drive the truck blah..blah..blah. Well I gave in and drove it and liked it. He then stated he could save me more money, they lowered to 36.5k again I said no my budget was 30k. So back and forth we went for another hour and I ended getting out of there with a 48k truck for....here we go.....33,765 dollars. You cant tell me the mark up is minimal, I just love the prices they mark up on these vehicles these day.

Point being, just hold your ground and if they want to sell it they have room to move. I went in looking for a nice used truck and ended up with a brand new one with 22 miles on it.

FK... (Greg, right?)

Thanks for the story! You know what, since you bring it up and it's my thread, I will tell you just how we, (my wife and I) roll......

First, we look at stuff and check it out thoroughly, and ALWAYS leave! NEVER, buy right then!! Second, we DO NOT call back, as we wait to see if they really want to sell. Inevitably they call, the very next day! I was unable to have this restraint as a young lad, thinking that every car was the 'last' deal I was ever going to find! Lol...

I have learned a few things after MANY rodeos in this arena. Salesmen are dirtballs, (on the whole). We have met some very good ones, that are in it not just to win it. They are educated on specs., horsepower, and the like. Those guys can be a pleasure to be around and buy from, but I suspect they are making the least on the lot. You need to be able to steal from your own grandmother and sleep at night after doing it....to make a ton of dough in this biz!! :hysterical: I would love to sell high-end cars, but could not, as I love and respect my granny.

If you follow our line of thinking, by walking and sleeping on your decision................believe me, you will get the best deal later. It also helps if you tell them you are looking at two or three other vehicles that are in contention. Even if you`re not! It`s a shame that something that could and should be so enjoyable, as buying a car is a big out of pocket expense, has turned into such a ballbuster... :banghead:

BIKEBOY

BTW- Then throw in to the mix something like our GT500`s were with ADM`s.........................ohhohohohoho, now that salesman`s attitude just quadruples!! You NEED him!!!?? Yeah right.

Bikeboy you are so spot on its incredible.

not only about the age bringing maturity in sales dealings but your descriptions of most (not all!) car dealers.

I worked in a ford dealer for 2 days after wanting to sell cars my whole young life, the things they wanted me to do to close a deal I could not believe. To this day I can't believe it. I later learned they hire 25 folks to end up with 3 or 4 who will do the deeds the way they want them done.

Peter

Threads like this one are excellent and a must read for anyone who has never had the painfull experience of working in the retail car industry.

I sold used cars at a new car dealer years ago when in college and was a silent partner up until recently in a high line used car outfit. I don't claim to be a lifelong veteran nor an expert in auto retailing but have seen tricks like the above and many far worse used to enormous advantage to the retailer. There is the 4 square deal, track system, and bunch of other cheesy protocols all designed to confuse the buyer/trader.

Many unsuspecting buyers offering a trade end up being rear-ended by their friendly neighborhood dealer. Most buyers of cars new or used have a trade. This is a great place for the customer to get clobbered. Friendly dealer examines your trade(shops it on the phone if they don't want it) and comes up with painfull technical reasons why your trade is on its last legs. Engine makes a funny noise and probably needs a cam job or a major engine overhall, not today but likely inside of a month. The diagnostic unit in the service department is showing major electrical problems that will surely cause some expensive failure in the near future. Normal wear and tear is grossly exagerated and will require a costly week in the body shop. There are more of these tricks than I feel like typing but the net result is a trade in value thousands below a straight price.'

There are also many new cars that carry a hidden incentive from the manufacturer(to dealer) on a per unit or monthly threshold that the buyer is unaware of.

Financing is another place to clean the buyers clock. The 10, 15, 20, buck a month thing is almost a given on any negotiation. Dealers normally send deals to a medly of lenders who solicit their business knowing that they "jack" the interest rate 1/2, 3/4, or a full point and pocket the difference which can be in the 4 figure range.

Another piece of advice to the car buyer; NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances allow yourself to be ushered into one of those awfull "closing" rooms. They are designed as an area where the buyer can be broken down and agree to terms far from what would be in his best interest. Get a trade value, selling price of the exact unit you are considering along with the options off the sticker and walk. Leave your contact number, take their card and bolt. The deal will only get better from that point for you. All discussions from that point are done by phone or E correspondence and the advantage is then overwhelmingly yours.

As stated above. there are tons of scumbags out there in this industry. Every bit as foul as jewelry stores, hearing aid vendors, etc.

I grew up in the Business, a few rules I was taught:

NEVER work with a salesman, EVER. Call the Dealer ask who the Fleet, Internet or Sales Manager, reach them, make an Appt. and go work with them. They can usually make a deal over their desk or by phone.

Try to sale your car yourself, if you must trade, see above.

Use the Intanet, you can find every New or Used car you want and it's dealer through KBB, Edmunds, Yahoo Autos etc., then check the Forddirect.com for new inventory, it's accurate, then check theDealers web-site

You can get the MSRP there and print it, and build to invoice on KBB and or Edmunds etc. I used these tools to find the last New 09 GT 500 Vert in the country, 40 miles from home, and I bought it right .

My 2 cents, it will help save your sanity, if nothing else...

Another tactic they use is drive your trade in to the back of the dealership and have their "shop" look at the car. But what they are really doing is holding on to you car keys so you can't leave.

I had this happen at Dick Balch Chevrolet in Federal Way, WA. This company was on the front cover of Time Magazine for selling more cars than anybody in the country. They got me in the "closer" room and the high pressure sales started and it got real nasty. I said I want my keys back and they said," NO! We are going to work this deal out".

There was 2 of them and 1 of me and they were blocking the door, I couldn't get out of the room. The only way I could get out and get my keys back was to threaten to throw my chair through their plate glass window, they let me go and called me all kind of names as I was leaving......NEVER EVER AGAIN!

You right Bikeboy, Speedyman and Ray Lucca, some, not all salesman will do "what ever" it takes to get to your money,

Shoot. All these horror stories. When I have extra time on my hands I love to go play with these SOB's at there own game. Never do I buy. Just test drive a lot of nice cars. Can't tell you how many Shelby's I've driven around the country. :shift:

Be strong and just leave. Never let them pressure you. :slapfight:

Wow guys....struck a nerve here...I love it!!

I do a little writing. One thing I wrote last year was titled "Today's Car Buying Experience". If I was savvy enuf to somehow post it here, I would love to, for you guys to all get a chuckle out of.

My family and friends that have read it all say it's a great read!

Any ideas how to post it up? It's about four pages.

Chris

Tungsten stripes were an option on white in 07.

Why anybody would want white without blue stripes is beyond mecool.gif

My original stripes were the Tunsten and they are drop dead gorgeous. This is a very rare bird. This is the second most rare color combination in 2007. They only made 61 and mine was converted to the Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripe (sssss) which only leaves 60.

Archived