TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Clutch Replacement?

Tom Robinson

OK,

Clutch symptoms are surfacing in my 07.

Pushing 650+ HP.

Question, should I even bother with the TSB fix or just install an aftermarket assembly incl flywheel?

If so, what's the best alternative for street use?

Thx,

Tom

Hands down - McLeod RST or RXT.

OK,

Clutch symptoms are surfacing in my 07.

Pushing 650+ HP.

Question, should I even bother with the TSB fix or just install an aftermarket assembly incl flywheel?

If so, what's the best alternative for street use?

Thx,

Tom

Hey Tom I just had to make the same decision and decided to just go aftermarket. I really try to avoid the dealer if at all possible. In fact my car has never been back to a dealer. Also given I am at 650 rwhp I wanted something that I know can handle the HP and take a beating. The reviews on the newer 2010 clutch that they are now installing with the TSB do seem to be positive but I don't think it will handle as my HP as the prior version. I ended up having a SPEC Twin SS installed by Alex "vapor08GT500" given his success with this version. So far it feels great. About the same or maybe a touch less petal effort than stock but no hiss. I am still breaking mine in. It does have more rollover noise when idling with the clutch pushed in. Regardless of your choice you want to make sure you install a new CSC with any new clutch. Also make sure you break it in properly or you will not like it. BTW there is no bleeder on these clutches. They just pre-fill the CSC with brake fluid then pump the clutch to get the air out. Can take 20-30 miles to get the proper feel in the clutch. I didn't really have that problem but that is what I was told. Good luck in your decision.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, i'm new here..i'm from Switzerland... and i have to change my clutch because on my Shelby GT 500 MY08 he slips and chattering.. (sorry for my bad english!!!) Wich is the better replacement clutch kit? i think i will buying the SPEC Super Twin SS Trim..

GOOD CHOICE

i have to do nothing? only bolt in? and i have the evoperform stage 2 on my car..

Send a message to Alex, whose screen name is "vapor08GT500". I'm sure that he will help you with everything that you need. He has an excellent reputation here on Team Shelby.

When I installed my organic twin disc, I looked at the Ram and the McLeod RST or RXT (can't remember which one). I was replacing a SPEC 3+ and definitely didn't want anything from SPEC again after dealing with their customer service.

I went with the Ram based on my research and discussions with a couple shops here that utilize the Ram clutches. MMcGuirk stated that "hands down" that he preferred the McLeod RST or RXT. I am as to why he chose that clutch vs a Ram. Is it personal preference or did I miss something in my choice of the Ram twin disc?

They don't seem to get much attention on this site for some reason but based on a recommendation I went for the Centerforce dual friction clutch and steel flywheel. I've done around 3,000 miles on this unit and really like the way it feels which is a bit lighter than the stock clutch. I do a mixture of town and highway driving giving it a bit of a pounding now and then and have not had any issues. I'm sure you will get many other recommendations on this site and at the end of the day the final decision will need to be based on your driving style and personal preference - all I can offer is that I really like the Centerforce i have.

I have an 08 GT500 with 7,900 miles on it. My clutch has is almost done for, and probably fits under TSB 10-3-8. The car is completely stock, and I have not done any track time or aggressive driving, but do live in downtown Chicago, so it sees some stop and go driving (I only drive about 2500 miles per year). After it is fixed, I'd like to do 3 or 4 track days per year. What do you think about the current (2010) OEM clutch, or would I be better off with a McLoed RXT or a Spec Super Twin (SS or P trim)? Also, does anyone know which dealers in the Chicagoland or Northwest Indiana area are good at clutch repairs on a GT500?

I have an 08 GT500 with 7,900 miles on it. My clutch has is almost done for, and probably fits under TSB 10-3-8. The car is completely stock, and I have not done any track time or aggressive driving, but do live in downtown Chicago, so it sees some stop and go driving (I only drive about 2500 miles per year). After it is fixed, I'd like to do 3 or 4 track days per year. What do you think about the current (2010) OEM clutch, or would I be better off with a McLoed RXT or a Spec Super Twin (SS or P trim)? Also, does anyone know which dealers in the Chicagoland or Northwest Indiana area are good at clutch repairs on a GT500?

like others my experince with Spec's, customer sevice sucks :finger::censored::censored::censored:

we put in lots of clutches of all types,, and i was told that I SCREWED UP their clutch,, what a joke

like others my experince with Spec's, customer sevice sucks :finger::censored::censored::censored:

we put in lots of clutches of all types,, and i was told that I SCREWED UP their clutch,, what a joke

Do you like your McLeod RXT? Is it worth the extra money oner the OEM (2010 version)? Is it a difficult install? How do you find someone who is good at the installation ( in the Chicagoland - Northwest Indiana area)?

Well, my clutch finally went out at 29,500 miles. I did not feel like dealing with a dealership on whether the clutch slippage was due to a warped flywheel or my neglect or abuse. So, today I had a McCleod RXT clutch installed at Maximum Velocity in San Antonio, Tx. Tracy recommended the McCleod Rxt rather than the Spec 2 and I am glad she did. When I first got in and depressed the clutch pedal, I almost put my foot through the floor board. I thought something was wrong, but come to find out this is what a good clutch feels like. I guess i had grown accustom to fighting my stock clutch. I have only put 60 miles on it, but it is smooth. No more shuddering backing up my driveway and I can sit at a stop light with the AC on and I do not hear gear rollover or chattering. Tracy, Tim, and her staff are extremely knowledgable and helpful. I am no one of importance and i do not recommend many people to others in an open forum, but these folks are top on my list when it comes to working on my vehicle. I have not been lead astray or had a bad experience with them. Those of you in San Antonio looking for a reputable performance shop with a mustang dyno you should stop by and say hello (4810 NW Industrial Blvd.). Tracy and Tim... Thx a million.

I'm in the same boat. Chicago area. Drive about 1300 miles per year and my '08 has some of the TSB symptoms. My 3yr warranty is up in June and I'm debating whether to take it in for the new 2010 clutch TSB? I'd feel better if I found a dealer in my area that has already done the TSB on more than 1 car and has good reviews?

Anyone have any information on a good clutch TSB dealer here in Chicago or the NW burbs? (would be greatly appreciated!!)

I'm in the same boat. Chicago area. Drive about 1300 miles per year and my '08 has some of the TSB symptoms. My 3yr warranty is up in June and I'm debating whether to take it in for the new 2010 clutch TSB? I'd feel better if I found a dealer in my area that has already done the TSB on more than 1 car and has good reviews?

Anyone have any information on a good clutch TSB dealer here in Chicago or the NW burbs? (would be greatly appreciated!!)

bump

I heard that Victor Ford, 1451 N Old Rand Rd., Wauconda, IL 60084, servuce dept. phone 847-526-5541, is very good. The service manager, Matt Wandell, was very knowledgeable about GT500 clutches (and has replaced several) and the dealer also has a performance center that does aftermarket performance work on GT500s. He did say that the dealer will only install an OEM clutch when working as a warranty repair. (Other Ford service managers told me the same thing). He said that the new clutch is completely redesigned and much more suitable for street driving, and fine as long as the car remains stock (HP is not boosted). The stock clutch is not as good as a Spec Super Twin SS trim or a McLeod RXT (He called those "premium clutches"), which he recommended if you are going to do a significant boost to the HP. He said that he could get the OEM warranty parts in one day ( parts availability is no longer an issue). He also mentioned that the TSB also calls for the tech to check the transmission, which requires a more skilled technician than the clutch replacement. When you talk to the service dept., make sure you mention TSB 10-3-8 and identify the flywheel as the defective part (as the TSB does), as that is part of the powertrain warranty, which is good for 5 years or 60,000 miles. I'm going to try to schedule them to do my Clutch / transmission repair next week. I'll let you know how it comes out. Anderson Ford Mercury, 1001 State Route 10, Clinton IL, phone 888-715-6487, also has an aftermarket performance center and a good reputation, if that is closer to you. Hope this helps.

Best clutch depends on what you do with your car and how much HP and torque your making. Everyone brags about peddle effort. Well the more effort the more HP and torque the clutch will handle. Everyone talks about noise. Rattle at idle. The strapless design will handle more HP and torque. Many times I've seen straps fail. If they do. It can be very expensive. Like an engine, trans, or your right foot or maybe all of it. So if you are making big HP. Stay away from strapped clutch designs. If you run slicks or big DR's. I would stay away from straps. Yes if you have a strapless design clutch and you pull in to Wendy's. To get a double with cheese. Its going to make noise. Just tell them its a safety devise. Yes my peddle is hard to push in. Yes my car rattles with the clutch pushed in at an idle. But it still works killer no matter what i do to it. Including pulling the front wheels @ 5500 RPM's and i don't worry about the possibility of a broken strap. . just my 2,,, on the clutch thingy.....and the Spec is rebuildable cheaper then most clutches cost. These are the reasons i run a Spec twin billet aluminum clutch and flywheel.

When I installed my organic twin disc, I looked at the Ram and the McLeod RST or RXT (can't remember which one). I was replacing a SPEC 3+ and definitely didn't want anything from SPEC again after dealing with their customer service.

I went with the Ram based on my research and discussions with a couple shops here that utilize the Ram clutches. MMcGuirk stated that "hands down" that he preferred the McLeod RST or RXT. I am as to why he chose that clutch vs a Ram. Is it personal preference or did I miss something in my choice of the Ram twin disc?

Springer

I have had questionable experiences with Spec and Centerforce in the past. I took GTR's recommendation on the McLeod. McLeod custom builds their clutches for each application.

I now have 30k flawless miles of operation on it.

Michael

Springer

I have had questionable experiences with Spec and Centerforce in the past. I took GTR's recommendation on the McLeod. McLeod custom builds their clutches for each application.

I now have 30k flawless miles of operation on it.

Michael

Thanks Mike. They are both great clutches from what I have found in my research. The Ram or McCleod are two great choices. My Ram has been flawless since it was installed, unlike the SPEC stage 3+.

I heard that Victor Ford, 1451 N Old Rand Rd., Wauconda, IL 60084, servuce dept. phone 847-526-5541, is very good. The service manager, Matt Wandell, was very knowledgeable about GT500 clutches (and has replaced several) and the dealer also has a performance center that does aftermarket performance work on GT500s. He did say that the dealer will only install an OEM clutch when working as a warranty repair. (Other Ford service managers told me the same thing). He said that the new clutch is completely redesigned and much more suitable for street driving, and fine as long as the car remains stock (HP is not boosted). The stock clutch is not as good as a Spec Super Twin SS trim or a McLeod RXT (He called those "premium clutches"), which he recommended if you are going to do a significant boost to the HP. He said that he could get the OEM warranty parts in one day ( parts availability is no longer an issue). He also mentioned that the TSB also calls for the tech to check the transmission, which requires a more skilled technician than the clutch replacement. When you talk to the service dept., make sure you mention TSB 10-3-8 and identify the flywheel as the defective part (as the TSB does), as that is part of the powertrain warranty, which is good for 5 years or 60,000 miles. I'm going to try to schedule them to do my Clutch / transmission repair next week. I'll let you know how it comes out. Anderson Ford Mercury, 1001 State Route 10, Clinton IL, phone 888-715-6487, also has an aftermarket performance center and a good reputation, if that is closer to you. Hope this helps.

Hey Mike. Let me know how the TSB goes with Victor? They're not far from me so that might be my ticket

Hey Mike. Let me know how the TSB goes with Victor? They're not far from me so that might be my ticket

I got my 2008 Shelby GT500 back on Friday last week and Victor Ford did a great job. They put it under the drive train warranty (5 yrs 60,000 miles) because the flywheel (the defective part) is part of the drive train. I also put in a Ford Racing Shelby GT500 Short Throw Shifter installed at the same time and it is a big improvement over the stock shifter. Victor Ford's Service Manager and Parts Manager have extensive knowledge of the GT500 parts and the aftermarket parts available for it and sell and install many of them. I enjoyed talking to them about potential upgrades to my car.

Do you like your McLeod RXT? Is it worth the extra money oner the OEM (2010 version)? Is it a difficult install? How do you find someone who is good at the installation ( in the Chicagoland - Northwest Indiana area)?

i amost got the clutch broke in,, another 100 miles to go, weather has not been too wonderful :slapfight: but so far the McLeod clutch has been 100 times better than stockhappy%20feet.gif this is the clutch that should have been standard in the GT500 from the factory :rant2:

i amost got the clutch broke in,, another 100 miles to go, weather has not been too wonderful :slapfight: but so far the McLeod clutch has been 100 times better than stockhappy%20feet.gif this is the clutch that should have been standard in the GT500 from the factory :rant2:

I just drove home with the McLeod Rxt in and I agree this should have been the clutch that came with the car. I also had the KR shifter put in also at the same time. It is a totally different car. :bandance:

I don't know much about all the others but the local clutch grue said to try a RPS BC2 Billet carbon twin. SO I put one in and man what a difference ! Smooth no chatter and makes the tranny shift like a dream.

It's not cheap but you usually get what you pay for. I went thru 2 Ford twin disc clutches in 7000 miles. Yes they were abused. If you got the funds this seems like a good way to go. I am really happy so far. Oh yea no break in required!!!!!

Archived