TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Adding weight in the trunk to improve traction

Whammer

The one big complaint many have with the GT500 is that the rear wheels don't hook up. The SS also suffers from this problem. So I'm wondering if adding weight in the trunk would help the rear end sit down more.

I had a '78 Firebird that had a light rear end. In the winter the rear end would slide out going around corners, like most rear wheel drive cars suffered from. So I put 2- 50lb. weight plates in the trunk and place them over the rear wheels. They made a huge difference in how my car handled and I never had the problem of my rear end sliding out again.

So I'm think that doing the same thing for the SS would really help the rear wheels hook up. Granted you're adding another 100 lbs. to the weight of the car but you are also helping balance out the front end heavy GT500.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this or is willing to give it a try. I would but it's winter here and so it ain't gonna happen. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The one big complaint many have with the GT500 is that the rear wheels don't hook up. The SS also suffers from this problem. So I'm wondering if adding weight in the trunk would help the rear end sit down more.

I had a '78 Firebird that had a light rear end. In the winter the rear end would slide out going around corners, like most rear wheel drive cars suffered from. So I put 2- 50lb. weight plates in the trunk and place them over the rear wheels. They made a huge difference in how my car handled and I never had the problem of my rear end sliding out again.

So I'm think that doing the same thing for the SS would really help the rear wheels hook up. Granted you're adding another 100 lbs. to the weight of the car but you are also helping balance out the front end heavy GT500.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this or is willing to give it a try. I would but it's winter here and so it ain't gonna happen. ;)

It`s winter & you don`t have a car anyways . :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived