TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake vs Cobra

dave c

Agreed. That's a great video. I'm actually trying to decide whether to SS mine or buy a fiberglass Cobra this summer. Originally the SS was the leader, but since Barret Jackson and hearing over and over about Carol's new 289, as mentioned at the end, I've been considering the Cobra more and more (especially given the fiberglass is like 40k less, lighter, and hell Carol Shelby even chose it over the alum. body). That video makes the choice even harder again, but I guess it's good I have to wait till summer to decide.

Agreed. That's a great video. I'm actually trying to decide whether to SS mine or buy a fiberglass Cobra this summer. Originally the SS was the leader, but since Barret Jackson and hearing over and over about Carol's new 289, as mentioned at the end, I've been considering the Cobra more and more (especially given the fiberglass is like 40k less, lighter, and hell Carol Shelby even chose it over the alum. body). That video makes the choice even harder again, but I guess it's good I have to wait till summer to decide.

If I were you, I would go for the Cobra. You already have an awsome car now, and its got all your emmenities. Go for raw power. That way you can enjoy the best of both worlds. I hope you don't mind me throwing in my two cents worth. I am sure that whatever choice you make, :happy feet: you will be dance'n.

Thanks for posting that. Honestly I am surprised the Cobra did that well in comparison, on the road course. On the drag strip just what you would expect.

I'll add another wrinkle: I have a CSX Cobra and I will say it has quite a bit more power than the 550 of the one in the test. Yeah, I know, all Cobra guys say they have 600 HP motors. I am not one of those weiners. Mine dynoed that much at the wheels. But, I have a motor you rarely see; a 427 SOHC - it makes upwards of 600 HP without any exaggeration. Would I bolt a set of slicks on it and let it rev to its redline of 7500 to find out if I if could hit low 11's? No, not in a million years, the motor is priceless.

You guys with your GT500s and Super Snakes are lucky. You have a car with ridiculous power and you can drive it to work every day. Plus more power is just easy mods away. I am right now trying to fit a GT500 into my garage to take the place of my modded Lightning as a daily driver. Decisions, decisions.

Gary, nice job on the commentary.

HMMMM I wonder if someone could put a 5.4 S/C into a cobra..............Roger...........someone?

Im sure they would put whatever you wanted in there. As long as you got the bucks, and as long as it was a Ford powerplant.

Edit: Have Shelby American build you the rolling chassis, and have Shelby American Motorsports install the 5.4

Chris

HMMMM I wonder if someone could put a 5.4 S/C into a cobra..............Roger...........someone?

It's been done; there are those who will say it doesn't look right, myself included. Dimensionally it is a very wide motor, wider than the wedge FE 427 and about as wide as my cammer, which required cutouts to both foot boxes and many, many more mods.

Thanks for posting that. Honestly I am surprised the Cobra did that well in comparison, on the road course. On the drag strip just what you would expect.

I'll add another wrinkle: I have a CSX Cobra and I will say it has quite a bit more power than the 550 of the one in the test. Yeah, I know, all Cobra guys say they have 600 HP motors. I am not one of those weiners. Mine dynoed that much at the wheels. But, I have a motor you rarely see; a 427 SOHC - it makes upwards of 600 HP without any exaggeration. Would I bolt a set of slicks on it and let it rev to its redline of 7500 to find out if I if could hit low 11's? No, not in a million years, the motor is priceless.

You guys with your GT500s and Super Snakes are lucky. You have a car with ridiculous power and you can drive it to work every day. Plus more power is just easy mods away. I am right now trying to fit a GT500 into my garage to take the place of my modded Lightning as a daily driver. Decisions, decisions.

Gary, nice job on the commentary.

Welcome Bill, I was wonder when you might surface over here. You have a great CSX.

Paul

CSX4970

• 2 weeks later...

Archived