TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Test Vehicles

dbowles22

I was just watching some of the GT500 reviews on youtube and was wondering Where do the test vehicles go after they have been reviewed by all the magazines and what not? Do they get sold as used cars or are they kept by ford employees at a discounted rate?

I know random, but I'm curious haha.

good question .... my guess is that since the Manufacturer is providing the cars for this purpose ... when they are returned they are probably used for promotional purposes or given to be driven by ... lets say its a Ford ... ford execs and when they are done with it they turn the vehicle in and its sold at the auction as a used vehicle ..... this is what happens with the retired Ford execs down here in florida. Every year ford drop ships there new unit and we tell ford the old unit is here for pickup and a transport from one of the auction places picks them up

Can't they be driven ideally for 7,000 miles then sold as new, since its not been titled? Presumably at a discounted rate :headscratch:

That rate being the depreciated value?

Our 2010 GT convertible was a Ford corporate car out here in BC. We bought it with 2400 miles on it and it was heavily discounted from a window sticker of $48,368 down to $35,888 ($41,888 minus a $6000 discount on 72 months 4.9%- we paid the car off penalty free after 3 months and it worked out to be way cheaper than paying cash for the car at the time of sale). Because it was a corporate car it still quailfied for all the incentives and finance deals that a new car would have ($41,888 @ 0% on 60 months,etc)

Ford salesman in NC here, We had the opp. to drive the new F-150 EcoBoost!!! First off awesome motor!! I asked the question what happens to these trucks when they are done. Answer: They get crushed. I was shocked but it is the policy of Ford. These are test vehicles and have been driven hard to their max I was told.

• 2 weeks later...

Test Vehicles are different than the magazine demo cars. Test Vehicles are for checking the process through the line etc. Most of them end of being used to test the final test - CRASH TESTING. Some make it out the back door, and end up on Barrett Jackson for big bucks 25 years later!

good question .... my guess is that since the Manufacturer is providing the cars for this purpose ... when they are returned they are probably used for promotional purposes or given to be driven by ... lets say its a Ford ... ford execs and when they are done with it they turn the vehicle in and its sold at the auction as a used vehicle ..... this is what happens with the retired Ford execs down here in florida. Every year ford drop ships there new unit and we tell ford the old unit is here for pickup and a transport from one of the auction places picks them up

I bought a ford exec car...turns out it was a very small run of cars

shelbypics071.jpg

I bought a ford exec car...turns out it was a very small run of cars

shelbypics071.jpg

very interesting tidbit---keep that document for posterity--can you see anyhting different about you car vs other 2010s---when was it built. My expereince with that kind of run is that Ford may have been putting cars together for a big race,or maybe something for the Olympics,so there may be some badging somewhere--i had a 99 "festival car" whic was one of 30 TAs built to be driven by dealsr at the daytona 500--its rarity allowed me to sell that car 10 years later for more than i paid for it, and almost triple a normal car, and allowed me to buy my Shelby

very interesting tidbit---keep that document for posterity--can you see anyhting different about you car vs other 2010s---when was it built. My expereince with that kind of run is that Ford may have been putting cars together for a big race,or maybe something for the Olympics,so there may be some badging somewhere--i had a 99 "festival car" whic was one of 30 TAs built to be driven by dealsr at the daytona 500--its rarity allowed me to sell that car 10 years later for more than i paid for it, and almost triple a normal car, and allowed me to buy my Shelby

My car has side stripes but no roof stripes...thats the only thing i noticed...it also dyno'd pretty high bone stock (512 rwhp...could just be the dyno though)

My car has side stripes but no roof stripes...thats the only thing i noticed...it also dyno'd pretty high bone stock (512 rwhp...could just be the dyno though)

id run down the original window sticker thru your VIN and call the dealer who sold the car to see if it was a special run car, for an event,like a race--if it didnt have roof stripes it might have been at the track.Trust me, if it has a lineage like that it really increses thew value of your car---bob

Archived