TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How to remove the Gurney Flap

racin' randy

Well after a robust discussion about the Gurney Flap awhile back, I was wondering how the Gurney Flap can be removed. I am thinking of hydro carboning my flap and have to remove it. Any help much appreciated.

Racin' Randy

It's held on with that double sided sticky gooey foam stuff. You can slightly lift the trailing edge and see under it SLIGHTLY to see what I'm talking about.

It appears to me that it would need to be destroyed (the tape, not the part) to get it off. Monofiliment fishing line works well as a "line saw" and a little application of WD-40 helps loosen up the foamy gunk.

It might be easier to just go down to your Ford dealer and buy a new wickerbill to have hydrocarbon painted and use your OE flap for a future back-up/spare.

I don't know *exactly* how to get it off but I *DO* know, it's not as easy as popping it off and popping another one (which I WISH they did so I could interchange it with the 2011 base w/less DF).

Good luck,

Phill

It's held on with that double sided sticky gooey foam stuff. You can slightly lift the trailing edge and see under it SLIGHTLY to see what I'm talking about.

It appears to me that it would need to be destroyed (the tape, not the part) to get it off. Monofiliment fishing line works well as a "line saw" and a little application of WD-40 helps loosen up the foamy gunk.

It might be easier to just go down to your Ford dealer and buy a new wickerbill to have hydrocarbon painted and use your OE flap for a future back-up/spare.

I don't know *exactly* how to get it off but I *DO* know, it's not as easy as popping it off and popping another one (which I WISH they did so I could interchange it with the 2011 base w/less DF).

Good luck,

Phill

Thanks Phil, I like the fishing line idea as a saw.

Racin' Randy

• 1 year later...

Has anyone ordered the Gurney flap somewhere?

I mean the SVTPP one with the small edge not the flat one.

I went to a Ford dealer in LA who said it's not available from Ford.

Only the regular one is...

Is the std. 2010 the same as a 11-12 SVTPP?

No part Nmbr. ...?

I'm 90% sure the one with the lip is standard on the 2010s. Heres a link of the part from Tousley Ford. I'd call and speak with Steve or Mike in parts and ask them to ensure its the one with a lip on it.

http://tousleyfordparts.com/parts/2010/FORD/MUSTANG/SHELBY%20GT500/?siteid=214771&vehicleid=1444302&diagram=JC10745

I'm 90% sure the one with the lip is standard on the 2010s. Heres a link of the part from Tousley Ford. I'd call and speak with Steve or Mike in parts and ask them to ensure its the one with a lip on it.

http://tousleyfordpa...diagram=JC10745

Two of my buddies have 2010's with the "lip" but it's not on my 2011 (Standard GT-500).

http://tousleyfordpa...diagram=JC10745

You are correct 2nd2none..that is the way it came on 2010's...honestly, I don't think it's much a big deal - it's a tiny, maybe quarter inch raised portion on the flap. So unless it's relatively cheap...I wouldn't even bother switching it out on a 2011 or 2012. Just my opinion.

You are correct 2nd2none..that is the way it came on 2010's...honestly, I don't think it's much a big deal - it's a tiny, maybe quarter inch raised portion on the flap. So unless it's relatively cheap...I wouldn't even bother switching it out on a 2011 or 2012. Just my opinion.

I believe they're 38 bucks and change for the insert. I just think the spiler looks weird without it. The insert isn't flush with the painted part at the back. And it makes a better handle when closing the trunk.

If you've never seen it, you should read the story of how it was developed. It made a huge impact on the cars handling.

I believe they're 38 bucks and change for the insert. I just think the spiler looks weird without it. The insert isn't flush with the painted part at the back. And it makes a better handle when closing the trunk.

If you've never seen it, you should read the story of how it was developed. It made a huge impact on the cars handling.

Hi Freak...for 38 bucks...that isn't bad. Purely up to the car owner as to whether they want it then.

When I done mine, I taped of the whole area as not to damage the paint and then used fishing line to cut through the sticky 3m tape. There are 2 nipples that go into the trunk lid so when you come to a stop dont keep going and cut through the nipples that line up the spoiler. As far as the part itself I went through www.southeastcarbonworks.com to get mine. He only charges you for his actual cost of the spoiler then hydro dips it and then mails it to you (it saves you shipping one way, and you have your original). VERY good quality and customer service, as I have several exterior parts and most of my interior done by him.

P.S. it only took about 30 minutes to remove and apply new one.

FYI this "little" flap makes a huge difference in downforce at speed--a good friend who is an aerospace enegineer did a downforce calculation for me when i first got my car--at 100mph it increases downforce by 300lbs--thats why gurney won all those races with his flap--the highest ive been is 120 and it was solid in the rear--and its all due to that little right angle on the flap

I just used my thumb and rolled it up until it came off. Thumb was a bit sore afterwards but worked. I didnt want to put any cleaners on it before installing the new 3m tape.

I use WD-40. It is totally safe on any painted surfaces. Spray it on and let it soak into the foam or goo for a minute or two, then just wipe if off with a SOFT cloth.

Creamy peanut butter works real well too.

I've used both on plexi-glass, Lexan, paint, powdercoat and wrinkle finish. NEVER had any problem other than it gets the wrinkle paint finish REAL clean and black (take wax off too!).

Phill

Two of my buddies have 2010's with the "lip" but it's not on my 2011 (Standard GT-500).

That is correct.

The wickerbill (aka Gurney Flap) with the lip is standard on 2010 and on the 2011+ SVTPP. The "base" 2011+ GT500 has a smooth wickerbill.

The 2010 and SVTPP wickerbill produces 20% more downforce with only 5% more drag so it is VERY efficient. And the faster you go, the more DF it provides.

Some posted the part numbers for each one way back when. I had them on my hard drive but I lost everything when my Windows crashed and I reloaded my HD (pics, instruction sheets, bookmarks...EVERYTHING!).

It was a while back...probably a after the 2011's came out.

Phill

Phill. Only sure thing about a hd is they will al

crash in time. I b/u mine every day to a 2nd internal tb drive and once a month to a huge external drive I keep in a wall safe so it diesnt melt in a fire. Have video if grandsons

Archived