TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminum Driveshaft Installed Today

lawdude

I had the aluminum driveshaft discussed HERE installed today on my 2010 Shelby. It is a 4" shaft. My car is not lowered and there was no fitment problem. On a test drive I took her up to 90 mph. No vibration or any other issue.

While the car was up on the rack, I had the tech put some synthetic friction modifier in the differential to see of that would knock down the axle whine that had become obnoxious. Axle whine was reduced at least 85%. Could be more, but it made driving at highway speed enjoyable again.

I'm happy with the purchase, especially for the $487 closeout price.

Next mod will be Magnaflow Magnapack axlebacks.

Law, did you get a chance to throw it on a scale to compare the weight from the stock unit? Is there a noticeable difference with the new ds from the old (spin up faster, any extra noise etc)?

Law, did you get a chance to throw it on a scale to compare the weight from the stock unit? Is there a noticeable difference with the new ds from the old (spin up faster, any extra noise etc)?

Didn't weigh it. But I did load/unload it . Also loaded/unloaded stock unit. Stock unit is noticeably heavier. As to whether it spins up faster I don't have my drag radials on so I'm afraid to punch it with my slippery Goodyear F1s. I'll know more when I make it to the dragstrip later this month.

Up to 90mph no extra noise/vibration. Again, I'll know more about that issue at higher speeds when I go to the track later this month.

I had the aluminum driveshaft discussed HERE installed today on my 2010 Shelby. It is a 4" shaft. My car is not lowered and there was no fitment problem. On a test drive I took her up to 90 mph. No vibration or any other issue.

While the car was up on the rack, I had the tech put some synthetic friction modifier in the differential to see of that would knock down the axle whine that had become obnoxious. Axle whine was reduced at least 85%. Could be more, but it made driving at highway speed enjoyable again.

Hey is that stock gear oil in the rear and you added an additive to it . I had a whine in my gear after gears were changed so I switched out the old gear to royal purple and noise was gone.

Good luck

The Magnaflow's will take care of the remaining 15%

Hey is that stock gear oil in the rear and you added an additive to it . I had a whine in my gear after gears were changed so I switched out the old gear to royal purple and noise was gone.

Good luck

yes, stock gear oil with additive. If whine returns I'll try royal purple. thanks.

I do not know how long you have been running Royal Purple but the whine will come back. I `am running Royal Purple in my 98` F-150 for several years & after I installed it it took 8 mos before I noticed the whine was back so I added Ford additive & had no whine now for years. Don`t get me wrong I love Royal Purple its an excellent product I use it in my 68` Shelby .

I do not know how long you have been running Royal Purple but the whine will come back. I `am running Royal Purple in my 98` F-150 for several years & after I installed it it took 8 mos before I noticed the whine was back so I added Ford additive & had no whine now for years. Don`t get me wrong I love Royal Purple its an excellent product I use it in my 68` Shelby .

They always say more is better !!! I was going to look into that but figured they would say I was crazy !!! :rolleyes:

Archived