TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Underdrive Pulleys worth the $?

So I already have all my parts in the car ready to go for March when I bring the car to JDM.

Kooks 1 5/8" Long tube headers with 2.5" Catted X

Steeda high flow carbon fiber intake elbow

FRPP Hot Rod Cams

FRPP Intake Manifold

FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

FRPP 3.73 Gears

and some other cool stuff listed in my signature....

On top of all of this, would the Steeda underdrive pulleys be worth the extra 200 bucks? I know they slow accessory speed down and in the summer I'll have to be cranking the ac. And with the substantial amount of power I will be gaining from my mods listed, will the underdrive pulleys be even more beneficial?

So I already have all my parts in the car ready to go for March when I bring the car to JDM.

Kooks 1 5/8" Long tube headers with 2.5" Catted X

Steeda high flow carbon fiber intake elbow

FRPP Hot Rod Cams

FRPP Intake Manifold

FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

FRPP 3.73 Gears

and some other cool stuff listed in my signature....

On top of all of this, would the Steeda underdrive pulleys be worth the extra 200 bucks? I know they slow accessory speed down and in the summer I'll have to be cranking the ac. And with the substantial amount of power I will be gaining from my mods listed, will the underdrive pulleys be even more beneficial?

I can only advise what my 02 virt did . Pickup a bit of power; drive with the ac on then turn off, that is the gain you get. What it also did was over heat in 90 + outside temps. Not going to play that game again.

I had them on a fox-bodied Mustang many years ago and removed them after a few months. Frankly, I don't understand how these kits are still being sold and marketed. The cars are designed by engineers to run properly with the correct pulley size and configurations for optimum performance. How you can under drive your pulley system and expect all the equipment and accessories to operate properly as they were designed is way above my pay grade. I have yet to figure this out, but I have to admit that the ones selling them must have master degrees in marketing. :doh: Some of the problems you can experience are, inadequate charging and over-heating due to slower circulation. Also, as another member posted, your a/c will not cool as well as it was intended.

The thing with modifications is that 10hp here, 20 there, and another 20 elsewhere all start adding up fairly quick when many modifications are done to boost hp. I f you are making enough modifications which will generate another 80 to 100hp, then 15hp from an under drive pulley system is really insignificant in the total scheme of modifications and not worth the aggravation when weighed against the minimal hp increase.

But, this is just my opinion, others may differ! :rolleyes:

Great List of mods !!

I was very seriously considering the pulley but I already owned a $440 Innovators West Standard Harmonic Damper and could not stomach throwing away that kind of $$$

The rusty OEM is a total eye sore so I would change it just for that,

web.jpg

Good Luck

Andrew

I've ran Steeda UD pullies in the past on both my 5.0 fox and '01 Bullitt without any issues with over heating or charging systems.

I didn't even hesitate to install them on my SGT, I like them mostly to slow the accessory speeds down while driving at higher RPM's at the track.

Keep an eye out on the forums and ebay, guys are always selling them off after purchasing blower kits.

Talk to Jim jr at JDM maybe he will get you a deal on a set.

PS- Steeda's are the only ones I would consider

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

• 8 months later...

I've ran Steeda UD pullies in the past on both my 5.0 fox and '01 Bullitt without any issues with over heating or charging systems.

I didn't even hesitate to install them on my SGT, I like them mostly to slow the accessory speeds down while driving at higher RPM's at the track.

Keep an eye out on the forums and ebay, guys are always selling them off after purchasing blower kits.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It has been 9 months since this post. Do you sill feel the same way about the underdrive pulleys? Through the summer did everything run properly AC, Cooling, Charging Etc???

I am interested in what you have to say?

Thanks!

It has been 9 months since this post. Do you sill feel the same way about the underdrive pulleys? Through the summer did everything run properly AC, Cooling, Charging Etc???

I am interested in what you have to say?

Thanks!

I've had mine on since march of this year and have not had one problem. I live in Virginia Beach area and it gets fairly hot here in the summer. My A/C worked as it always did, no issues with it or overheating. I have the BBK polished UD pulley set up. I wanted the looks to go with the performance. The gain was nice, I felt a difference as soon as I installed it.

Jeff

I've had mine on since march of this year and have not had one problem. I live in Virginia Beach area and it gets fairly hot here in the summer. My A/C worked as it always did, no issues with it or overheating. I have the BBK polished UD pulley set up. I wanted the looks to go with the performance. The gain was nice, I felt a difference as soon as I installed it.

Jeff

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Was leaning BBK if I do the underdrives. Steeda is claiming a joint venture with Ford and being the best?????

Again thanks for the feedback very positive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Was leaning BBK if I do the underdrives. Steeda is claiming a joint venture with Ford and being the best?????

100% recommended.

Loved my Steedas. Felt faster, no side issues (even out here in the desert).

Sold them to Ilmor when I put my blower on. Ask him what he thinks...

Jer

100% recommended.

Loved my Steedas. Felt faster, no side issues (even out here in the desert).

Sold them to Ilmor when I put my blower on. Ask him what he thinks...

Jer

I agree w/ Jer - now I have his on my SGT. I've read they're worth 5 or 6 hp and I believe it, as its seems that they "woke up" the engine a bit, a little stronger on takeoff and one of the first things I noticed was that the engine actually revs a little quicker. All else is fine, no increased engine temps detected, etc. I recommend them.

Jer - are these not recommended w/ a blower?

I agree w/ Jer - now I have his on my SGT. I've read they're worth 5 or 6 hp and I believe it, as its seems that they "woke up" the engine a bit, a little stronger on takeoff and one of the first things I noticed was that the engine actually revs a little quicker. All else is fine, no increased engine temps detected, etc. I recommend them.

Well, the Ford Racing tune isn't set up for them, that's the main reason I think they get removed during an SGT/SC conversion... glad to hear you like them.

My impression was that it felt like the pistons and rods got lighter! LOL...

Jer

Currently on sale

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-underdrive-pulleys-for-2005-thru-2010-ford-mustang-gt.html

The smaller UD damper/crank pulley reduces your boost out put just like installing a larger diameter pulley on the blower itself.

On the other end of the spectrum you hear guys installing the smallest pulley possible on the blower and then a 10% oversize damper/crank pulley to maximize boost-

---------------------------------------------

The smaller UD damper/crank pulley reduces your boost out put just like installing a larger diameter pulley on the blower itself.

On the other end of the spectrum you hear guys installing the smallest pulley possible on the blower and then a 10% oversize damper/crank pulley to maximize boost-

---------------------------------------------

Pfft 10%, why do 10% when you can do 15% ..... I've done a lot of other mods to help the engine breath easier as well. Installing the 15% on the 2011 5.4 added in the neighborhood of 2.5 lbs of boost which is very noticable. I did that in the spring and ran the car all summer here in New Mexico (very hot) and never had any problems whatsoever.

Pfft 10%, why do 10% when you can do 15% ..... I've done a lot of other mods to help the engine breath easier as well. Installing the 15% on the 2011 5.4 added in teh neighborhood of 2.5 lbs of boost which is very noticable. I did that in the spring an drain teh car all summer here in New Mexico (very hot) and never had any problems whatsoever.

I was making a point on why you would not want to use a UD pulley for a crank/damper on a Supercharger application, the10% oversize was just an example I've been exposed too for the 4.6L

I was making a point on why you would not want to use a UD pulley for a crank/damper on a Supercharger application, the10% oversize was just an example I've been exposed too for the 4.6L

Understood.

Ok! Was some feed back that the Shelby Gt is not tuned for the underdrive pulleys???

Anything need to be done with the tune after install of the pulleys??

On a NON-BLOWER Shelby GT, you should get a re-tune. MY car woke up after a good dyno tune (by Dan Carlson at http://www.realspeedautomotive.com)

Jer

Ok! Was some feed back that the Shelby Gt is not tuned for the underdrive pulleys???

Anything need to be done with the tune after install of the pulleys??

NO, but I would recommend it for the benefits you may never see it you remain on the the Shelby/Ford tune.

After installed the UD pullies and Steeda elbow, I went from somewere in the low 290's rwhp to 310 and most noticable was the torque differance on the track.

-----------------------------------------

I read a review on underdrive pulleys that mentioned while running on the track they had some heating up issues?????

I beat my car pretty hard on the track at the 2011 Vegas Bash (and I live here, and drive regularly in 100+ degree weather) and never had a problem with them.

Jer

Thanks again for the info!!!!!! Appreciate it Jer

Anyone out there know the difference between the Steedas and the BBK pulleys. BBK asking around $40 more for thiers??????

Sorry to keep this going just want to make the right choice!

Thanks again for the info!!!!!! Appreciate it Jer

Anyone out there know the difference between the Steedas and the BBK pulleys. BBK asking around $40 more for thiers??????

Sorry to keep this going just want to make the right choice!

Pobably because they are polished not painted as far as the cost goes. I can't speak for the difference in performance as I have only had the BBK. Like I said I wanted some bling with the performance so I chose to spend a little more. Picture attached

Jeff

post-30105-0-99318000-1320202295_thumb.jpg

post-30105-0-99318000-1320202295_thumb.jpg

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Kerry, Your 01 Bullitt came with underdrive pulleys from Ford. Did you feel Steeda pulleys were better? I'm just curious because I used to own 01 Bullitt #2371.

Archived