TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Passenger side spring rubbing on the body

Bassaholic

spring4.jpg

spring3.jpg

spring2.jpg

spring.jpg

Sorry for the small pics but I was using a first gen Iphone.

On my passenger side only the spring bulges out and is rubbing on the body. It makes a terrible squeak sound over every bump and I have no idea how to fix something like this. Any ideas of why its doing that?

Im going to try to figure out how to lower the rear end and maybe I can readjust it but hell I dunno? :shrug:

the spring is not properly installed or the rear end has shifted.

This is on the passenger rear side. The picture is at the angle of me laying on the ground on the rear side of the spring looking up.

They are stock spring and never have been touched. I did install upper and lower control arms but I did not need to touch the springs for that. It does look like (if this makes sense) that the spring is rotated differently than the drivers side. Maybe just rotating it will help?

I have autocrossed it once a very long time ago but I have recently drag raced it. So maybe passenger side of the rear end has shifted backwards and now that could be why the spring is hitting the body.

You mean the drivers side spring? It bulges out the same way but has about a 1/4inch clearance

this is what the drivers side spring looks like with about 1/4inch clearance from the body

driverspring2.jpg

driverspring.jpg

This is looking at the drivers spring

driverlook1.jpg

This is looking at the passenger side spring

passlook1.jpg

When you took it down the strip did you have some wheel hop ,this could have moved the spring in the cup, or the rear end has shifted slightly.

I had horrible!! i mean horrible wheel hop before I installed the upper control arm. It would hit violently when I would take off. I took a look at the hard rubber deal where the rear end is suppose to hit when it pops up and it looks like the very end of the driveshaft has been hitting. But that could have been from the stock driveshaft b/c that has been replaced for an aluminum one.

Also could the angle of my upper control arm rotate the rear end and push the lower part of the spring backwards thus causing it to be rubbing on the body?

you should seek a good suspensin shop or speed shop. An adjustable track bar will let you re center it but it can also be done with the stock trak bar. The UCA is supposed to be set at your ride height and then torqued. I doubt this is your issue but again a good speed shop will recognize the issue and be able to correct it quickly. It should not be driven much like it is now

It looks like the axle is tilted back to far which is preventing the springs from sitting up and down properly (they are bending back). Since you changed the UCA this could be the cause. If you are still using the stock springs then you are not lowered so you can measure the length of the stock UCA. Then set the length of your adjustable UCA to the same length as stock. This should give you the same pinon angle you had with the stock UCA and LCA. This assumes the LCAs are the same length as stock as well.

looks to me from the pics that the pinion angle is way off. Check out those spring perches.

Chris

Yes the angle was extreamly off. I guess they have to be readjusted every so often. I put up my stock upper control arm next to it and the stock one was almost 3 or 4 inches shorter.

Heres what it looks like now. oh and I finally found out how to make the pics bigger. :D

fixed.jpg

You can see a black mark on the right side where it had been rubbing.

As for a legit pinon angle ill have to find a inclinometer or protractor. But atleast this fixed it for now. My rear end was damn near looking up lol. Does anybody know a good pinon angle for both street and then a drag strip angle sense ill be checking this angle just about every oil change so this doesn't happen again.

On my passenger side only the spring bulges out and is rubbing on the body. It makes a terrible squeak sound over every bump and I have no idea how to fix something like this. Any ideas of why its doing that?

Your rear springs are "timed".

The label on the spring should be pointing towards the pumpkin. If the spring turns on its perch, it will rub.

There is also a "UP" and a "DOWN". The label should be on the bottom of the spring.

Your pics are too small to see well but it almost looks like, in one pic, that your sping is sitting cocked off to one side on the bottom. There is a piece of formed rubber that sits between the spring and the perch with a small plastic "cap" to keep the rubber in place. Check to see if either one has come out/off and allowed your spring to shift off to one side (kind'a like sitting in a chair with one butt cheek lifted).

My bet is your spring indexing/timing is just off. To remedy the situation, lift the rear up and support the body at the rear most jacking points with a pair of jackstands. Allow the rear axle to hang and they *just* take enough weight off of it to allow you to remove the lower shock bolts. Once removed, drop your rear axle just enough to relieve the spring pre-load, turn the spring so BOTH labels are pointed inwards and reassemble the shock mounts.

Phill

Your rear springs are "timed".

The label on the spring should be pointing towards the pumpkin. If the spring turns on its perch, it will rub.

There is also a "UP" and a "DOWN". The label should be on the bottom of the spring.

Your pics are too small to see well but it almost looks like, in one pic, that your sping is sitting cocked off to one side on the bottom. There is a piece of formed rubber that sits between the spring and the perch with a small plastic "cap" to keep the rubber in place. Check to see if either one has come out/off and allowed your spring to shift off to one side (kind'a like sitting in a chair with one butt cheek lifted).

My bet is your spring indexing/timing is just off. To remedy the situation, lift the rear up and support the body at the rear most jacking points with a pair of jackstands. Allow the rear axle to hang and they *just* take enough weight off of it to allow you to remove the lower shock bolts. Once removed, drop your rear axle just enough to relieve the spring pre-load, turn the spring so BOTH labels are pointed inwards and reassemble the shock mounts.

Phill

Yes the springs are sitting differently from one another. I will check this out. Good eye btw.

Archived