TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New owner of 89 CSX #75

ray08

Hi to one and all. Just picked up #75 last weekend. It needs front and rear air dam/skirt, as well as fiberides and steering wheel. I think I found all of these items. Is there anything I should know about before buying? I'm hoping to get this car as close as possible to stock condition. The driver's side seat (recaro) is the worst part of the interior, but still pretty good condition. It has the ND computer, with aftermarket exhaust (2.5"), BOV and KN CAI. I will need a stock air box/hoses. A paint job will help too, but I've seen a lot worse. It has 109k on it, engine rebuilt maybe 2k miles ago.

Hi to one and all. Just picked up #75 last weekend. It needs front and rear air dam/skirt, as well as fiberides and steering wheel. I think I found all of these items. Is there anything I should know about before buying? I'm hoping to get this car as close as possible to stock condition. The driver's side seat (recaro) is the worst part of the interior, but still pretty good condition. It has the ND computer, with aftermarket exhaust (2.5"), BOV and KN CAI. I will need a stock air box/hoses. A paint job will help too, but I've seen a lot worse. It has 109k on it, engine rebuilt maybe 2k miles ago.

Hi Ray,

Congrats on the 89 CSX. I also own an 89 and can tell you there is a lot of conflicting information about this motor. Biggest problem is the VNT turbo. Vanes can stick and it is definitely recommended you use only premium fuel in this car. Supposeably has something to do with the exhaust gas temps. I rebuilt my motor top end and replaced the turbo at 112K due to sticky vanes. Made a HUGE difference in performance. I also understand exhaust back pressure plays a big role in operation of the turbo, so it is recommended you leave the stock cat / exhaust system in place. Also, you can find repo front and rear skirts for this car. I recommend staying away from curbs with these installed. Took my '89 to Shelby's 85 birthday party and was told the '89's were one of Carroll’s favorite cars to drive. A real BMW eater. Definitely a pocket rocket!

Enjoy

Jon

1967 GT500

1987 Shelby Lancer - factory mule

1989 CSX-VNT, 1 of 15 with 225's and Recaros

2008 Shelby GT-C

Well, I got the fiberides from Steve and they are in near perfect condition! I've heard some of the stories of the VNT dying prematurely. The good news is that the VNT25 is not a difficult item to source. The steering wheel can be reworked to like new condition with new leather wraps. I figure I'll need about $3k more for parts (front/rear bumper) and a paint job. There's under the hood parts I need too. Does anyone knows where to get an airbox, to replace the aftermarket KN CAI? With those items taken care of, she's back to OEM specs.

Does anyone knows where to get an airbox, to replace the aftermarket KN CAI? With those items taken care of, she's back to OEM specs.

I'll see if i can dig my way through the snow to get in my SHED i may have some extra Airbox parts, i'm not sure what i have left. If not head over to turbo-mopar.com. Chances are you'll find someone with the parts they dont want due to installing an aftermarket K&N CAI! Any 1987-1989 Turbo II Airbox should work.

BTW you have very good taste in cars.... :rockon:

I'll see if i can dig my way through the snow to get in my SHED i may have some extra Airbox parts, i'm not sure what i have left. If not head over to turbo-mopar.com. Chances are you'll find someone with the parts they dont want due to installing an aftermarket K&N CAI! Any 1987-1989 Turbo II Airbox should work.

BTW you have very good taste in cars.... :rockon:

87-89 T-II Air boxes are different, at least the top cover is. Attached is a pic of the 89 csx airbox.

Steve

AirBox1.jpg

AirBox1.jpg

Congrats on the car! Got pics?

Thanks guys! I hope to get some pics fairly soon.

Right now, I'm worrying about an issue that started up pretty sudden. Cut to the chase: Seems like when the RPM hits 3000, in any gear, the power flattens out. If I upshift, it comes back, until 3000 RPM. I checked the air filter, and it was horribly dirty. Unfortunately, even after cleaning it (K&N), the power was still flat. Plugs look good. I'm getting worried that the turbo is suspect. What are the symptoms when these things die? I know the VNT has a reputation for carbon buildup that causes trouble, but does that manifest, ie, what are the symptoms? At least these are still available if it turns out it is bad.

Archived