TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Tyres.

pmustang

Hello Folks, Looking for a set of tyres to put on the shelf for the next change over. A bit worried as I hear the Goodyear Stock tyres are no longer being made and Tyrerack had 3 (at time of the post I read) left in stock,

Here is what comes up on tyrerack for the car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Shelby+GT500+Coupe&autoModClar=&frontWidth=255/&frontRatio=45&frontDiameter=18&frontSortCode=54200&rearWidth=285/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=18&rearSortCode=54600&tab=All

any/all suggestions for tyres for a 2007 Shelby GT500 most welcome as I am on the lookout for a set. Mine don't seem to have a long life for some reason, DOH!

I have heard the Pirelli Pzero is not recommended for the car but that was hearsay and not personal experience.

thanks. Peter

I bought the set on the car right now that way, Had 1100 miles. But!! I live in the United Kingdom so not many of these about if you can imagine, I was amazed to find this set. Probably not 50 of these car in England as a whole. Maybe 100 tops.

I have someone who can ship a set of just tyres to me in the UK from the USA if I can find what I am looking for, they are military so shipping is a huge amount less.

Cheers for the suggestion.

peter

Your not going to believe this!!! just got on ebay.co.uk and looked up GT500 tyres, nothing, then GT500 wheels. Came up with a brand new set, Dealer miles only!!! Just closed the deal. Great suggestion. I tried a dozen times before but this time it paid off.

thanks, Peter

My local tyre guy out here said 90+ percent of tyres are made in the Orient and they are concentrating on mass market tyres, Such as for the hondas and toyotas and such, they have little or no interest in making tyres that fit 10,000 cars, they want to produce mass market tyres only. He said that its getting harder every month to get tyres for performance and low production volume cars. Sounds a bit scary but understandable with the growing markets in China and India for pedestrian autos that will have 12-15 inch rubber in standard sizes.

cheers. peter

Always a great feeling when things like them come together!! Congrats!! If you don't mind me asking....what did you pay?

Your not going to believe this!!! just got on ebay.co.uk and looked up GT500 tyres, nothing, then GT500 wheels. Came up with a brand new set, Dealer miles only!!! Just closed the deal. Great suggestion. I tried a dozen times before but this time it paid off.

thanks, Peter

Remember I am in the United Kingdom and never saw a set for sale before these, I.E. brand new take offs that seem to be for sale in the US frequently but not here. Paid 500 UK pounds for them, (figure on 1.60 US Dollar to 1 UK pound. So 800 US dollars in your terms. Delivery mileage rims with original tyres. I would assume the sensors in them as well although I don't care about those. most probably will pull the tyres and sell the rims.

Peter

PS, now that I remember there was a guy here selling a brand new silver bonnet (hood in your terms) from a GT500 along with brand new wheels and tyres from a GT500 for 1250 pounds and later lowered to 1000 pounds, (1600 US dollars) I don't know if they ever sold. thought that was a great deal for someone as the shipping over here would probably cost that if you included taxes and customs fees.

Peter

Remember I am in the United Kingdom and never saw a set for sale before these, I.E. brand new take offs that seem to be for sale in the US frequently but not here. Paid 500 UK pounds for them, (figure on 1.60 US Dollar to 1 UK pound. So 800 US dollars in your terms. Delivery mileage rims with original tyres. I would assume the sensors in them as well although I don't care about those. most probably will pull the tyres and sell the rims.

Peter

PS, now that I remember there was a guy here selling a brand new silver bonnet (hood in your terms) from a GT500 along with brand new wheels and tyres from a GT500 for 1250 pounds and later lowered to 1000 pounds, (1600 US dollars) I don't know if they ever sold. thought that was a great deal for someone as the shipping over here would probably cost that if you included taxes and customs fees.

Peter

Peter,

Because I live on the Calif Coast and had problems with the stock tires slipping all over the place on wet roads I went with a set of Toyo Proxes this time. Corner better than the stock tires and Great on wet roads. Not quite as good hooking up on launch on dry roads though. Don't know if you can get those cheaper in the UK?

msbmustang54

I will have to look soon, I should have figured my luck was too good. Just found out that they have changed the laws over here, All of our cars have an annual MOT check (ministry of transport) something like the NJ and PA state inspections. In Jan 2012 all non European Union conforming tyres will fail the car. Thus my tyres along with every other american car owners tyres will fail. Also anyone importing a US vehicle to this country will have to bin the tyres!! before they can pass their first MOT, I have wanted those exact tyres mentioned for a while now and could not find them on the shelves or even in production or even a date for production. Also at 250 pounds per tyre. Thats about $375 US it would have been quite pricey, I guess I do do some aggressive driving or track days before 2012 as I have 1 new and 1 mostly new set of tyres to go through.

cheers. Peter

I will have to look soon, I should have figured my luck was too good. Just found out that they have changed the laws over here, All of our cars have an annual MOT check (ministry of transport) something like the NJ and PA state inspections. In Jan 2012 all non European Union conforming tyres will fail the car. Thus my tyres along with every other american car owners tyres will fail. Also anyone importing a US vehicle to this country will have to bin the tyres!! before they can pass their first MOT, I have wanted those exact tyres mentioned for a while now and could not find them on the shelves or even in production or even a date for production. Also at 250 pounds per tyre. Thats about $375 US it would have been quite pricey, I guess I do do some aggressive driving or track days before 2012 as I have 1 new and 1 mostly new set of tyres to go through.

cheers. Peter

What kind of crap is that?? Why won't US tires pass thier inspection??? I hope we do the same with all European tires here. :angry2:

it is Tyre over here, guess I get stuck in the lingo. Tire/Tyre, Tomato/Tomato

Its something about aromatic oils used in US tyres. The European Union used to allow tyres with the DOT stamp but now they won't allow any tyres in that container Aromatic oils whatever they are. Its probably to protect the tyre industry here but there are so few US produced tyres imported that its just hurting the folks that really need them for Yank vehicles. The funny thing is that so few are imported that the US producers/distributors probably don't care and thus just won't send them over. Maybe its trade protection, who knows.

I am hearing a bit more, if you have them purchased and on the car before a certain date then they can't fail you, I need to find out 100% because the insurance co could invalidate your claim in the case of an accident if they find you have not taken due diligence on something like this.

If its at all of interest to this board I will post more info when I get it.

peter

What kind of crap is that?? Why won't US tires pass thier inspection??? I hope we do the same with all European tires here. :angry2:

+1 BIG time! That's pure BS. I don't think they had a problem with the tires/tyres that came on WWll Willys Jeeps.

I hate to tell you, the tyres over here are quite good, I don't know what gets imported. Well you probably get the same ones. Toyos, Pirellis. Its the goodyears that I have always heard and experienced are/were crap, Back in the IROC Z28 days when I was in high school everyone complained about them, Consumer reports did a test a while back to see what top ten replacment tires/tyres folks were using after the factory ones wore out and goodyear wrote in to see why they were not included and Consumer reports said they were not in the top ten, In the states when I would buy a car with goodyears I would always swap them out immediately (and in florida if you did it quick enough you near enough got a full refund from the tyre stores) for Micheline tyres which wear like iron. Goodyear I believe is the number one stock tyre put on cars, must offer a hell of a discount to the car manufacturers to put them on from stock. I think most of us would like to see a proper grippy peformance tyre on the Shelby from new. I am using them as its all I can readily get and trust me I have tried for proxxes.

Peter

Even more for the studious student, On a forum discussing 18 inch track tyre supply problems.

I wish someone from the Gov't would post 100% factual info.

Peter

[report] [news] Wednesday 9th February

I found this on another thread which throws more light on the subject, it seems that across the range the law comes into effect in 2012 but on certain ranges it comes in this year?

Brands slated as failing already on the new figures and not be available to sell (from 2011) are:

Avon ZZ3, Admiral, Chengshan, Falken, Fortuna, Federal, Goodride, Hankook, Kenda, Kumho, Linglong, Matador, Maxiss, Milestone, Nankang NS2, Nexen, Rotalla, Semperit, Sumo firenza, Sunny, Toyo, Triangle, Viking, and Wanli.

Some manufacturers are trying to ready replacement models but the "Tire Industry" say will increase prices by average of 35% across the range.

New regulations for MOT Failures have not as yet been dated

Heres the brief statement on the matter and the official link.

http://www.etrma.org/public/activitiestyreg.asp

Quote:

What Does the New S-Marking Law Mean for the Tyre Trade?

With the amount of European legislation about to be unleashed on the tyre market you can be forgiven for thinking you need a law degree to work in the tyre trade.

Since the introduction of the of end-of-life vehicle directive banning lead wheel balancing weights in mid-2006, tyre manufacturers, distributors and wholesalers alike have been bracing themselves for the introduction of the most stringent requirements on tyre rolling resistance, noise, wet grip and product labelling the market has ever seen.

Nevertheless, as important as these rules undoubtedly are, none of them take effect until 2011 for the original equipment market and 2012 for replacement market sales - and even this will be a phased introduction. T

he problem is that before these laws take effect there are at least two other major piece of legislation set to hit the markets. There is the so-called clean oil requirement, which bans the use of aromatic oils in the production of new tyres from Jan. 1, 2010, but again even this law offers the manufacturers it most directly affects another seven months of preparation time before they have to face the music. And what’s more, leading industry sources report that all European manufacturers either are or will be comfortably ready in time for the Jan. 1 deadline. The question is: were you aware that there is yet another bill on the European statute books that is scheduled for enforcement in less than six months?

Directive 2001/43/EEC, or s-marking legislation as it is more commonly known, represents the evolution of the earlier EC regulation or E-mark. In 2001 the European Parliament decided to bolt on noise requirements in addition to the existing requirements. Eight years later, with little publicity on the subject, introduction of this law is set to take effect on Oct. 1, 2009. The details of what is involved in the 22 pages of European law are far from clear, and at the time of going to press T&A was receiving more phonecalls seeking clarification on this than any other subject.

Here’s how we understand it: In the first instance the legislation forces products up to 185 section width to comply with enhanced noise emission standards, with tyres of 210 millimetres-plus width following a year later in October 2010. Sizes larger than this will follow a year later in 2011. At this stage it is worth pointing out that, according to the ETRMA, the first phase covers tyres of any business segment (passenger car, truck and buss etc). However, the 2010 and 2011 deadlines for up to and over 210 width tyres apparently only refers to passenger car products.

Incidentally, the latest round of legislation (which includes labelling rules, etc.) brings with it new regulations covering truck and bus tyre fitments.

To those selling or wholesaling the tyres the technical details of what decibel limits are being brought in are perhaps less important than the implications. And in this respect the rule has one very clear outworking – from October tyres covered by the legislation will have to have an “S” stamped at the end of its seven-digit code on the sidewall and those that don’t will be illegal.

To clarify (and I am indebted to Colin Smith of Sinton’s Tyres for elucidating the labyrinthine legislation on this point) this means your stock needs to have two seven-digit marks – one for the e-mark and one for the s-mark. (Tyres & Accessories/Staffordshire, U.K.)

I notice a few manufacturers have new tyres out, but there's a LOT of the old tyres still on shelves...

Sundance

• 2 weeks later...

Again more United Kingdom boring stuff, Went for my yearly inspection (MOT) check up for the car (required) on Saturday and the garage wanted to fail me as my tires don't have an E stamp, This is a European Union stamp to say the tires are fit for road use. After a heated argument by myself that this requirement is only for tires not suitable for road use (these need an E stamp) I got a pass but its getting worse and worse to get cars through the yearly inspection. One day it will be like japan where most cars are auctioned off to other countries or scrapped as the inspection is nearly impossible to pass after three years and the road tax is unbelievably high to make folks buy new cars to keep the economy screaming along.

Peter

Can i run a 295/35/18 on our stock rims. they recommend a 10-12 inch rim and i think ours are 9.5 inches. has anyone ran them?

I run them on the 2010s stock 19s, no problems.

Hello Folks, Looking for a set of tyres to put on the shelf for the next change over. A bit worried as I hear the Goodyear Stock tyres are no longer being made and Tyrerack had 3 (at time of the post I read) left in stock,

Here is what comes up on tyrerack for the car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Shelby+GT500+Coupe&autoModClar=&frontWidth=255/&frontRatio=45&frontDiameter=18&frontSortCode=54200&rearWidth=285/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=18&rearSortCode=54600&tab=All

any/all suggestions for tyres for a 2007 Shelby GT500 most welcome as I am on the lookout for a set. Mine don't seem to have a long life for some reason, DOH!

I have heard the Pirelli Pzero is not recommended for the car but that was hearsay and not personal experience.

thanks. Peter

I just bought a set of Alcoas for my GT500. I will not be able to use my stock tires. My tires have about 5K miles on them. If you would be interested in them I am happy to listen to an offer.

Archived