TEAM SHELBY FORUM

66 Shelby convertibles

I could swear I saw a post here in the TS forums with 2 or 3 pictures of the green GT350 convertible.

Does anyone recall where that post was....or have any pictures to share of the first 4 cars? (not the 12 continuation cars)

The red one seem to be making the show circut lately and is a beautiful car.

The yellow car was sold recently and occasionally show up at a west coast show.

The green car has not shown up anytime recently that I'm aware of so I'd love to see any more recent pictures.

The blue car is being held captive by it's current owner and like above has not been seen in a long time.

Does anyone have any pics or info to share?

Those were my shots of Cliffs car from back in the early 80s at the Dallas SAAC event. Here they are again for your enjoyment.

Falcongtho3

Thanks so much for posting those pictures and "reminding me" again!!!!! :happy feet:

Both pictures are great but that interior picture is awesome since it show the added underdash a/c unit and auto shfter with no console.

Do you know if the gold stripes are original to that car. I assume the side stripes only have "GT-350" with NO "GT-350H". I have found about 8 pictures of that car but none are clear enough to see the sides.

If I didn't mention it before I'm building 1/24th scale models of all 4 convertible and this one is the last on my list to start. The yellow and blue are both done, and the red needs aftermarket decals to complete it.

post-31184-0-28117900-1296592573_thumb.jpg post-31184-0-54540400-1296592593_thumb.jpg

If anyone has more pictures of the blue or green please share them here.

Thanks, Rich

post-31184-0-28117900-1296592573_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-54540400-1296592593_thumb.jpg

The car did not have 'H' side stripes, but as to how original it was, I coulcn't tell you. From what I know of Cliff, it should be very correct. There are extensive photos of the red car in the Tom Corcoran book; Muscle Car History: Shelby Mustangs by Motorbooks Int'l. Ive got a copy and it has exceptional detail shots of the car, which is a 4 speed with air (!) car.

I could swear I saw a post here in the TS forums with 2 or 3 pictures of the green GT350 convertible.

Does anyone recall where that post was....or have any pictures to share of the first 4 cars? (not the 12 continuation cars)

The red one seem to be making the show circut lately and is a beautiful car.

The yellow car was sold recently and occasionally show up at a west coast show.

The green car has not shown up anytime recently that I'm aware of so I'd love to see any more recent pictures.

The blue car is being held captive by it's current owner and like above has not been seen in a long time.

Does anyone have any pics or info to share?

What about the BLUE one in the Museum at SAI???

post-8727-0-77514700-1296597148_thumb.jpg

Or is that one of the 12 Continuation Cars???

Gregg

07SGT0547

EDIT = I just read the "fine print" in the display info... 1 of 12 made in 1982... finger.gif

What about the BLUE one in the Museum at SAI???

DSC00005.JPG

Or is that one of the 12 Continuation Cars???

Gregg

07SGT0547

EDIT = I just read the "fine print" in the display info... 1 of 12 made in 1982... finger.gif

Blue one in the museum used to be at the Gardena shop lobby. It is a Beverly Hills continuation that CS son Mike I believe owns or did. Randal should know as it was mentioned awhile back on his shelbyforums.com site.

I'm surprised we haven''t heard from our German Mustang expert, Wolfgang. But here is a link ot his site and it's '66 GT-350 convertible page. I think you'll find some of the photos familiar, and some very interesting. There is also a listing of the continuation cars as well.

http://www.ponysite.de/shelbyconvertible.htm

I'm surprised we haven''t heard from our German Mustang expert, Wolfgang. But here is a link ot his site and it's '66 GT-350 convertible page. I think you'll find some of the photos familiar, and some very interesting. There is also a listing of the continuation cars as well.

http://www.ponysite.de/shelbyconvertible.htm

Falcongtho3;

Thanks again! I've been to the ponysite several times in the past. It a great site!. I also have that Shelby book you mentioned.

GT350PS;

No worries, I've done that before too. The continuation cars don't get as much respect as the originals do, even though they are part of the history.

I was hoping there might be some more recent news on the green or blue original 1 of 4 convertible, but they must still be in hiding. :unsure:

Both the red and yellow cars also have had feature articles in Mustand Monthly. I'm glad those owners share and show their cars.

Very welcome. Check out his entire site, it has some amazing information about so many different Mustangs it's mind blowing. Wolfgang is a member here as well. I met him in Birmingham and he attended our Mach 1 dinner. Great guy, and he puts out an incredible club magazine. Very high quality.

That's been pretty much the determination of most who keep up with such things. It is so listed in the 1997 edition of the SAAC World Registry that the white and pink cars were never built.

Is it true that in...

1965 - 0 GT350 convertibles were built

1966 - 4 GT350 convertibles were built ( some argue 6 were made)

1967 - 0 GT350 convertibles were built

1968 - 404 GT350 convertibles were built

1969 - 194 GT350 convertibles were built

1970 - 0 convertibles were built

Are these numbers close to being right?

Four '66s were built in coverible form

One '67 was built as an EXP500 car. It was redressed as a '68 and used as a mule for styling details for the '68 model year and eventually used for early '68 production photos. It was 'stolen and later found', which why it was never crushed as most prototypes are. IT now exists in its '67 sheetmetal and was on diplay at Volo for many years. One coulpe was built as well, known as Lil Red. It was destroyed as per Ford edict. It was powered by a supercharged 428 engine. Too bad it wasn't saved.

In '68, the first year of 'official' convertible production, 404 GT350s were made, 402 GT500s, and 518 GT500s were ade in soft top form. One KR was a Hertz car. Also, one coupe was made, known as the EXP500 Green Hornet. It exists today and is in the ollectionof Craig Jackson

For 69/70, 194 GT350 convertibles were built, and 335 GT500. I don't have the breakdown of 69 and 70 cars in front of me, but the 70s were re-tagged 69s. There were certianly 70s in the mix. I've seen mor ethan a handful of them. No coupes were built with this body stlye, although one GT350 was/is a G code Boss 302 powered car.

A handful of '71 Shelby Eurpoas were built in convertible form (less than a dozen I expect). I beleive they were all GT350s. Virutally unknown in the US, they are extremely rare and very desirable in Europe, as well as by me.

Four '66s were built in coverible form

One '67 was built as an EXP500 car. It was redressed as a '68 and used as a mule for styling details for the '68 model year and eventually used for early '68 production photos. It was 'stolen and later found', which why it was never crushed as most prototypes are. IT now exists in its '67 sheetmetal and was on diplay at Volo for many years. One coulpe was built as well, known as Lil Red. It was destroyed as per Ford edict. It was powered by a supercharged 428 engine. Too bad it wasn't saved.

In '68, the first year of 'official' convertible production, 404 GT350s were made, 402 GT500s, and 518 GT500s were ade in soft top form. One KR was a Hertz car. Also, one coupe was made, known as the EXP500 Green Hornet. It exists today and is in the ollectionof Craig Jackson

For 69/70, 194 GT350 convertibles were built, and 335 GT500. I don't have the breakdown of 69 and 70 cars in front of me, but the 70s were re-tagged 69s. There were certianly 70s in the mix. I've seen mor ethan a handful of them. No coupes were built with this body stlye, although one GT350 was/is a G code Boss 302 powered car.

A handful of '71 Shelby Eurpoas were built in convertible form (less than a dozen I expect). I beleive they were all GT350s. Virutally unknown in the US, they are extremely rare and very desirable in Europe, as well as by me.

Thank you for the information... I am too young to know all this myself.

I am here enjoying this era of American Muscle.

Dom

Glad to be of help. Been doing this a while, and have some good reference material as well, so do not hesitate to ask.

I've never looked at the production numbers from a convertible point of view. (I understood they were low). From what is posted above the GT350 Convertibles are exceptionally rare compared to thier big block brothers. With that said, and with a 350 total production limit in 2012, I'd bet the GT350 convertibles will be less than half of that 350 numbers. Even combined with the GT500/GT500KR convertibles the total numbers are still very low.

I agree that it will be interesting to see the eventual percentage breakdown of the 2012 GT350s. I not a convertible person, but I certainly do appreciate their looks and appeal. I did have a '73 351CJ 4 speed Mustang convertible, and it did turn heads.

I agree that it will be interesting to see the eventual percentage breakdown of the 2012 GT350s. I not a convertible person, but I certainly do appreciate their looks and appeal. I did have a '73 351CJ 4 speed Mustang convertible, and it did turn heads.

I like the looks of the new GT350 convertible. I know pure fans perfer the coupe.

I may go down a 1/4 mile drag strip, but i probrably wont be on a race track with my cars.

I am thinking of a show car. I like the idea of saying my car is 1 of 350 made, and 1 of XX convertibles.

Archived