TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Grease seen around wheel bearing cap/rotor?

03 DSG Snake

I had my front wheels off this evening and noticed that the backside of the Driver Front wheel was greasy looking.

It looks like there is grease around the wheel bearing cap and brake rotor:

14.jpg

15.jpg

Any ideas what this is all about? Bearing has no play and rotates like normal. :headscratch:

I had my front wheels off this evening and noticed that the backside of the Driver Front wheel was greasy looking.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Any ideas what this is all about? Bearing has no play and rotates like normal. :headscratch:

Phil...?????? Any ideas?

(2010KonaBlueGT)

Phil...?????? Any ideas?

(2010KonaBlueGT)

Yeah, one idea came immdiately to mind.

Did you ever get your brakes REAL hot? Maybe mountain driving, Fast speed stop/go traffic? Something like that?

The high heat generated from overworking your front brakes can cause the wheel bearing grease to liquify and it will leak out of areas it wouldn't normally leak from. No harm, as long as it all didn't leak out and that's nowhere NEAR "all" of the grease in a hub assy.

OR...did you recently have a brake job, or maybe some other kind of front end work done?

Someone could'a put grease between the disc rotor and the hub to keep it from making noise.

Always start with "the last thing (work) done"....

Tell me more,

Phill

Also: Did you pull your rotor off to see if there's any grease behind it? Pads look okay (no grease on 'em)?

How about the axle/hub seal on the back side of the hub? Any grease leaking from it? Usually when they leak, you'll get "spider web" patterns from where the centrifical<sp?> force slings it out.

Phill

Yeah, one idea came immdiately to mind.

Did you ever get your brakes REAL hot? Maybe mountain driving, Fast speed stop/go traffic? Something like that?

The high heat generated from overworking your front brakes can cause the wheel bearing grease to liquify and it will leak out of areas it wouldn't normally leak from. No harm, as long as it all didn't leak out and that's nowhere NEAR "all" of the grease in a hub assy.

OR...did you recently have a brake job, or maybe some other kind of front end work done?

Someone could'a put grease between the disc rotor and the hub to keep it from making noise.

Always start with "the last thing (work) done"....

Tell me more,

Phill

Nothing done to the front lately. The car was run on the Open Track for one event 2 years ago, my 'normal' track car hasn't done this after multiple events.

Rotor surface/pads look clean. It basically was the grease seen on the photo and the rest was on the mounting face of the rim.

Have not yet removed the rotors to inspect the other parts.

It could be some residual high-temperature grease or anti-seize that's applied to the rotor hub to keep the Aluminum wheels from corroding onto the rotor due to dissimilar metals. It doesn't look like anything to be concerned with.

That's exactly what it is. You had a sharp mechanic apply some wheel bearing/anti-seize to minimize the corrosive reaction that often occurs between the wheel/hub/rotor. You can also see that a small amount was applied to the wheel studs as well.

You're fine.

Tob

That's exactly what it is. You had a sharp mechanic apply some wheel bearing/anti-seize to minimize the corrosive reaction that often occurs between the wheel/hub/rotor. You can also see that a small amount was applied to the wheel studs as well.

You're fine.

Tob

Upon further close examination of your very high rez photo...I'm with Tob. That is the color of anti-sieze. I put it in my spark plugs not too long ago. The wheel brg. grease would be brown, I think?

If it smelled sorta like 90 weight gear lube....it's anti-sieze.

edit: 'on' my spark plugs....moron!

Archived