TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Engine detail

sam picicci

I encourage you to read through and use these techniques: :yup:

DI - How to Detail Your Engine Bay

With the right products and tools, it is a really simple project. If you lack the resources, good old Simple Green does the trick. Remember to work on a *cool* engine and cover up your intake and alternator. If you have a compressor, use it to blow off the water after you are done. If not, just drive it around to dry it off.

Sam, as long as you haven't driven in rain or excessively dusty conditions you can wipe off areas with a spray type wax/cleaner product. I wipe it down good in all the hard to get areas and use a simple green spray on a micro fiber cloth to clean dirtier areas. Don't spray the simple green directly on surface; spray it on the cloth and wipe down. I then "go over" all areas with a spray wax/cleaner on a cloth again not directly on surfaces.

Once at the show it's just a matter of wiping the engine areas with either a dry cloth or the spray cleaner.

If you do drive through rain you'll need to get more detailed.

Personally unless you have engine mods and want to show them off I find that "hood down" gets a far better reaction from spectators... YMMV.

Andy

If you have a compressor, use it to blow off the water after you are done. If not, just drive it around to dry it off.

A good leaf blower works GREAT for drying the engine bay out. Mine claims something like "200 MPH", or some such thing.

I learned that trick from detailing my Harley's all the time.

Put the "small tip" on if you have one. It has a TON more air volume than my compressor has but I do use my air nozzle for getting down into tight places in the engine bay.

HTH,

Phill

Would like to know how you clean engine compartment. What do you use . What do you use before a car show. Thanks very much. GO GREEN BAY.

The best result with the least effort -

S100 foaming motorcycle cleaner (available at any Harley Davidson dealer). Spray on everything in a cold engine compartment. Rinse with hose without a sprayer. Blow dry with leaf blower or shop vac in blower mode.

Follow up with S100 engine brightener or Pig Spit. ( I prefer S100, it is less sticky than Pig Spit)

You will be amazed by the results. Nothing aggressive like Gumout. Removes stains from aluminum, hoses shine like new. safe on electrical sensors.

A good leaf blower works GREAT for drying the engine bay out. Mine claims something like "200 MPH", or some such thing.

I learned that trick from detailing my Harley's all the time.

Put the "small tip" on if you have one. It has a TON more air volume than my compressor has but I do use my air nozzle for getting down into tight places in the engine bay.

HTH,

Phill

A leaf blower works great, too!

Archived