TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake Future

Chatter out there that the 2012 Shelby will be the last year as the contract that Shelby has with Ford expires in 2012. He may renew, who knows.

If the contract between Shelby and Ford is not renewed, will 2012 also be the last year anyone can convert a 2007-2012 GT500 to a Super Snake?

Can anyone shed light on the subject?

Roger, or perhaps MM, or another expert who is connected can give their best educated opinion?

Thanks,

Jim

I doubt that 2012 is the final year. If it was, Ford would be screaming it to the press to build up excitement and generate sales.

As for the SS, just because there isn't a contract between Shelby and Ford doesn't mean that the SS must end. It only means that Ford can no longer use the Shelby name or the GT500 moniker. Ford will continue to build high end Mustangs leaving Shelby with a platform to modify into a SS if they so choose regardless of a contract.

My radar tells me there is another big hooray between Ford and Shelby on the horizon. Roger has hinted at something big is in the works and Ford has recently indicated that they are looking at a Ford GT successor.

As is evident but the collector car auctions the market appears to be turning around. I cannot imagine that Ford and Shelby would get out of bed now.

Good points EL SHELBY and I agree with your comments. Here's my take on the subject.

I agree the market is making a small comeback. I am certain however the days of tremendous profits that owners enjoyed for about four years from 2004 - 2009 on almost all old Muscle cars is long gone and will never reach that pinnacle again.

I can say this with some credence. The following is what I base my opinion on.

I have been collecting Muscle Cars for over 30 years (1969 RA IV Judge with 48K original miles; 1970 RA III Judge CV with 68K original miles; 1971 455 HO Judge with 42K original miles; 1970 LS6 with 52K original miles; 1970 Super Bird with 7,300 original miles, and about 10 more 69 - 70 RA III Judges) and have attended auctions for the past 15 plus years. All of those cars are gone; sold prior to the market plunging down almost 60% for value purposes. Dumb luck as a divorce forced me to sell every collector car I had prior to the enormous plunge / devalue of old Muscle. Once she got her half and I paid off Uncle Sam the tax note, I took the spare cash and bought some new Muscle beginning in 2008 with the Super Snake.

Having attended quite a few auctions, most of the buyers are older Baby Boomer codgers like me (I'm 56). The general consensus age group for baby Boomers are born between 1946 - 1960. Quite a few of the auctions that reaped high sales were bidding wars between two dueling rich guys who wanted to one-upsmanship the other; that is partly why prices escalated on the older Muscle, and partly because of the frenzy of the economy when everyone under the sun was obtaining home equity loans to buy these cars figuring the values would never go down! I was lulled into that notion as well, although I had already bought quite a few cars 20 years prior to the crazy selling prices in the time period I mentioned above.

You don't see hardly any young Gen X wealthy collectors at any of these auctions. The older codgers like me still make up most of the audience.

The Gen X (generally speaking born from 1960 to 1982) crowd by and large are not interested in old Muscle. They want new Muscle with all the computerized gizmos these manufacturers continue to add on to the new Muscle cars. And the Gen X crowd love four door sleepers! That's why the Dodge Charger models, and the ultimate SRT8 Charger is so appealing and has been so successful in sales, and the foreign four door sleepers as well sell very well with the Gen X crowd.

I am sure there are other factors out there that will affect how Ford will determine whether or not to axe the Shelby GT500. I'd like to get my hands on the Ford marketing trend analysis spread sheet to see the current trend on how well the GT500s are selling.

I will start a poll to determine the age group that has invested in the Super Snake. It would be interesting to find out how many Gen X'ers have invested in a Super Snake as compared to Baby Boomers.

My radar tells me there is another big hooray between Ford and Shelby on the horizon. Roger has hinted at something big is in the works and Ford has recently indicated that they are looking at a Ford GT successor.

As is evident but the collector car auctions the market appears to be turning around. I cannot imagine that Ford and Shelby would get out of bed now.

Maybe something like this?..........................

Picture1933-1.jpg

R

Maybe something like this?..........................

Picture1933-1.jpg

R

Robert that concept has been out there for a few years. i believe it was scrapped due crash test concerns? unable to meet crash safety standards? I don't remember. to i saw a television show chronicaling its development maybe three yrs ago? if that car were ever made, I'd be in line to get one.

As for SS, didn't SAI announce at some point last year that it was more profitable to move into the "parts" business... and therefore they were planning to wind down the aftermarket tuner car business? not sure where i heard that but it was on video and it was an SAI official speaking in front of SAI vegas? anyone else see that interview?

Jim, I am a gen-X'er (born 1971)... but i agree with you, most who want an SS (and can afford) are Baby boomers. I was driven home from the hospital when i was born in a 1969 Mach I with a 428 SCJ! talk about entering the world in style! I got my passion for mustangs from my dad early in life and it has continued. When i could afford a Shelby, i knew there would be no better car for me. it has old school look with new school gadgets.... no better combination!

Most younger generation buyers prefer the imports because of the many movies that came out glorifying those sooped-up lawnmowers in the 90's and 2000's!... but the advantages are light weight, low cost, and ability to tune for reilitively high HP (given the weight). They will not be big collectables, though in my opinion. a dime a dozen.

There still is a crowd (rather sizeable crowd) of younger folks that are mustang/camaro/charger/challenger enthusiasts... not sure how that will bear out over time. There are so many "collector editions" of each car out there that i doubt there will be a heavy collector market going forward... but they are out there. Most of them only know the old cars because they've studied the lineage of the new cars.

Ron

you need to search the forums, E already stated that there will be a 2013 GT500. Plus Robert posted a link that stated Mr.Shelby has been working with Ford on the 2012 and 2013 GT500.

:shift:

That's great news! Maybe the 2013 GT500 will bring out even more HP!

I beleive it was Gary Patterson at the Bash that said they were working on a 1000hp car (Code Red?).

Man, this is getting to be like buying a computer, by the time you get it home it's obsolete!

I beleive it was Gary Patterson at the Bash that said they were working on a 1000hp car (Code Red?).

Man, this is getting to be like buying a computer, by the time you get it home it's obsolete!

They're up to 800hp, what's another 200 ponies!!!

:shades:

Super Snake is here, alive and well.

800 HP? We have a 900 HP upgrade complete and available from our Motorsport Division. We are also working on 1000 HP SC car. Other's are in the works. The R&D department is working hard to provide the need for speed.

We are still receiving orders for the 2007 Super Snake and that makes sense. With the economy tanking people who have saved and are in the process of paying off the 2007 purchases may now be able to have the conversion completed. Far less than purchasing a new vehicle and then upgrading. It becomes a cycle. The 2011 is a great engine and Ford has provided a great platform from an engineering perspective. It becomes a great marriage.

We have opened the 2012 Super Snake order bank. Orders are arriving daily. 2013 should be a very exciting year for Ford. We are looking forward to it.

Roger

800 HP? We have a 900 HP upgrade complete and available from our Motorsport Division. We are also working on 1000 HP SC car. Other's are in the works. The R&D department is working hard to provide the need for speed.

Roger

Does anybody make a 1000 series tire?

Super Snake is here, alive and well.

We are still receiving orders for the 2007 Super Snake and that makes sense. With the economy tanking people who have saved and are in the process of paying off the 2007 purchases may now be able to have the conversion completed. Far less than purchasing a new vehicle and then upgrading. It becomes a cycle. The 2011 is a great engine and Ford has provided a great platform from an engineering perspective. It becomes a great marriage.

We have opened the 2012 Super Snake order bank. Orders are arriving daily. 2013 should be a very exciting year for Ford. We are looking forward to it.

Roger

Great to hear Roger.

2013 should be a very exciting year for Ford. We are looking forward to it.

Boy, I'm not typically the kind of person that reads something into a statement that isn't there, but *that* part of Rogers statement says a TON!

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Good points EL SHELBY and I agree with your comments. Here's my take on the subject.

I agree the market is making a small comeback. I am certain however the days of tremendous profits that owners enjoyed for about four years from 2004 - 2009 on almost all old Muscle cars is long gone and will never reach that pinnacle again.

I can say this with some credence. The following is what I base my opinion on.

I have been collecting Muscle Cars for over 30 years (1969 RA IV Judge with 48K original miles; 1970 RA III Judge CV with 68K original miles; 1971 455 HO Judge with 42K original miles; 1970 LS6 with 52K original miles; 1970 Super Bird with 7,300 original miles, and about 10 more 69 - 70 RA III Judges) and have attended auctions for the past 15 plus years. All of those cars are gone; sold prior to the market plunging down almost 60% for value purposes. Dumb luck as a divorce forced me to sell every collector car I had prior to the enormous plunge / devalue of old Muscle. Once she got her half and I paid off Uncle Sam the tax note, I took the spare cash and bought some new Muscle beginning in 2008 with the Super Snake.

Having attended quite a few auctions, most of the buyers are older Baby Boomer codgers like me (I'm 56). The general consensus age group for baby Boomers are born between 1946 - 1960. Quite a few of the auctions that reaped high sales were bidding wars between two dueling rich guys who wanted to one-upsmanship the other; that is partly why prices escalated on the older Muscle, and partly because of the frenzy of the economy when everyone under the sun was obtaining home equity loans to buy these cars figuring the values would never go down! I was lulled into that notion as well, although I had already bought quite a few cars 20 years prior to the crazy selling prices in the time period I mentioned above.

You don't see hardly any young Gen X wealthy collectors at any of these auctions. The older codgers like me still make up most of the audience.

The Gen X (generally speaking born from 1960 to 1982) crowd by and large are not interested in old Muscle. They want new Muscle with all the computerized gizmos these manufacturers continue to add on to the new Muscle cars. And the Gen X crowd love four door sleepers! That's why the Dodge Charger models, and the ultimate SRT8 Charger is so appealing and has been so successful in sales, and the foreign four door sleepers as well sell very well with the Gen X crowd.

I am sure there are other factors out there that will affect how Ford will determine whether or not to axe the Shelby GT500. I'd like to get my hands on the Ford marketing trend analysis spread sheet to see the current trend on how well the GT500s are selling.

I will start a poll to determine the age group that has invested in the Super Snake. It would be interesting to find out how many Gen X'ers have invested in a Super Snake as compared to Baby Boomers.

Archived