TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Jacking rear end

pmustang

Hello Gents. I had posted on the sticky jacking thread but I think no one looks at it anymore.

I have an 07 GT500. I normally (with all my previous vintage stangs) have jacked up the rear by the pumpkin. Just put the jack under the center section and away I go. I have read recently you should not jack by that nor the axle tubes. Is there a reason for this? Should I only use the points mentioned by grabber in the previous threads?

Also I find on the front points mentioned by Grabber for putting jack stands I have a plastic shield that covers this area, or most of it. Is that a standard item?

Worried about damaging it with the jack.

Is the main gist of what is recommended to use the side flanges for lifting whether using the factory scissor or floor trolley jack?

Cheers. Peter

I have the plastic too and I followed Grabbers video and it works perfectly. Grabber doesn't seem to have the plastic, but place the front jack stands on the steel member to the inside of the plastic. It has holes in it. Sorry missplaced my camera or I'd take picks.

Peter... Grabbed a pic from grabber and painted a black plastic piece into his pic. Where it is on mine. I put the jackstands where the red dots are. Plastic is approx 3" wide as painted in pic.

Hope this helps.

Jack073.jpg

So your saying the black area is where the plastic is on your car and it is not in the way of the red dot jacking area ?

If that's the case......what's the issue? :headscratch:

I have the plastic too and I followed Grabbers video and it works perfectly. Grabber doesn't seem to have the plastic, but place the front jack stands on the steel member to the inside of the plastic. It has holes in it. Sorry missplaced my camera or I'd take picks.

Where is this video you speak of?

MIne appeared (very tight area to get between the car and the wall in the shop) to be where you show and also onto the flat portion of the area with the red dot. like up to the seam shown running down the frame member. We put a spacer between the jack head and the frame rail to keep it off the plastic. thanks for the help folks

What are the opinions on jacking on the rear diff section? or the tubes of the axles (more the tubes for the axle stands when dropping the car back down w/o wheels.

Thanks, Peter

MIne appeared (very tight area to get between the car and the wall in the shop) to be where you show and also onto the flat portion of the area with the red dot. like up to the seam shown running down the frame member. We put a spacer between the jack head and the frame rail to keep it off the plastic. thanks for the help folks

What are the opinions on jacking on the rear diff section? or the tubes of the axles (more the tubes for the axle stands when dropping the car back down w/o wheels.

Thanks, Peter

The tubes are fine to support on. If you jack on the pumpkin, then the cover can get pressure put on it and then leak.

Another issue with jacking on the pumpkin is that the tubes are press fit into the pumpkin. A jack under the pumpkin creates a fulcrum and the weight of the car is on the ends of the axle tubes. You risk bowing the assembly. Same thing if you support the tubes next to the pumpkin. To support by the tubes put your jack as close to the springs, which support the weight of the car, as you can.

So your saying the black area is where the plastic is on your car and it is not in the way of the red dot jacking area ?

If that's the case......what's the issue? :headscratch:

Sorry been mia...

There isn't an issue. That's what I was trying to say.

And didn't mean to say video. Thread was what I should have said.

• 5 years later...

Since the body overhangs the rear axle so much it is difficult to raise the car by placing the jack under the center section of the differential. I usually just place two floor jacks under each rear pinch points on each side of the rocker panels. Then place your jack stands under the axle tubes. Also, I use hockey pucks between the jack and the pinch welds when I raise the vehicle to prevent any damage to the car's finish.

I have the photos somewhere, I'll have to look for them. But it was nothing earth shattering. If I recall correctly, he used the OE scissor jack as outlined in the manual and the placed stands under the frame rails.

I use my race jack just prior to where the lower control arm attaches to the frame. And if I recall from the manual it states to not lift the rear by the pumpkin. Doesn't say why. I assumed it was either a safety deal or it placed to much stress on the axle.

Hate to drudge up such an old thread, but anyone have a pic of jacking up the rear end, Grabbers pics are no longer available.

Sam - Check this thread. It may help you. I never post here anymore.....but felt compelled today.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78506-2013-mustang-jacking-lifting-instructions/

Archived