TEAM SHELBY FORUM

USED 2011 GT500 SHELBY MARKET PRICES QUESTION

obxman

Hello I am in the market for a 2011 shelby gt500. I have found a used one with 4500 miles with the svt performance package and navigaton that I can purchase for 42,000. Is this a good deal or is this generally common wth the mileage listed? I know the 2010s have greatly depreciated due to 2011 improvements however I didn't know how the used market was for the 2011 shelby gt500. Any purchase advise would be helpful from those that have recently bought new or gently used 2011 shelbys.

obxman,

$42k for a 2011 SVTPP coupe with 4,500 miles is a very fair deal, assuming no damage OR abuse. I would pull a CARFAX report to review the vehicle's history and IF possible, have a Ford SVT dealer read the on-board datalogger and give you their opinion on the existing owners driving "habits". Another consideration is how much you stand to save in sales tax on a gently used Shelby. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

I would have to ask myself "Self, why would a 2011 GT500 be on the used car lot, already?"

Sometimes people sell cars because of life changes. I sold mine because my wife and I decided she would better serve our children as a stay at home mom. Took 1/3 our income away, along with the Shelby. People buy and sell cars all the time. I know a guy who can't seem to keep a new car for more than 6 months, regardless of how cool it is.

Sometimes people sell cars because of life changes. I sold mine because my wife and I decided she would better serve our children as a stay at home mom. Took 1/3 our income away, along with the Shelby. People buy and sell cars all the time. I know a guy who can't seem to keep a new car for more than 6 months, regardless of how cool it is.

Sorry to hear that. I should have clarified my response a bit more.

I would take a hard look at the tires, are they the stock tires or after market? Yes I know the F1's suck but, why buy tires just to turn around and sell. May it is a dump scenario, could be that dreaded 1-2 shift and the previous owner didn't want to deal with it. The reasons could be totaly innocent as ChrisSD has stated. Take it for a serious drive, the car can handle it if there is nothing wrong with it. Better yet, know anybody that has a current GT500? That person might be able to tell right quick from looking at it to see if certian bolts have been turned, showing possible after market parts, or a quick test drive to check if everything feels right.

Hey, this is just my advice, do what you want with it.

Lot of people losing jobs in this economy. I know if I got let go at mine, mine would be sitting somewhere with 4500 miles on it as well.

That being said, check for the 1-2 grind issue, Carfax, and any other obvious potential let downs.

Invoice on a base SVT Coupe is around 46K with SVT Package. 42K is a fair deal with 4500 miles.

That is a very good retail price on an 11' with SVTPP and electronics package. It's probably right around true wholesale, unless there's some hinky history.

For what it's worth, a 10' without electronics package (and no SVTPP on the 10s), with 3,xxx miles, sold a couple weeks ago at a dealer-only auction in Kansas City for $38,000.

first, $42k is a great price on a loaded 2011(all u have to do is check ebay, cars.com & autotrader to see that)......and second, why all the "BUYER BEWARE" comments on a 4,500 mile used car??, its no wonder that these,and other musclecars have such lousy "resale" value.......lots of car guys sell extremely well-maintained low-mileage cars for lots of reasons, I say "go for it"!!

Sometimes people sell cars because of life changes. I sold mine because my wife and I decided she would better serve our children as a stay at home mom. Took 1/3 our income away, along with the Shelby.

It sucks to be you. :tease: Sorry I couldn't resist.

Very good decision. You and your wife have made a sacrifice and an investment in your most valuble asset-your family.

There are more used 2011 GT500 out there then you think. I have seen 5+ and I'm not even looking. My guess to why they are selling is they thought 550 hp would feel faster so they moved into a ZR1 or got tired of the 1-2 grind.

I agree. My '11 GT500 with SVTPP and electronics package will join the used car ranks in March when my 2012 Nissan GT-R rolls in. I bought the GT500 because I have never really owned a muscle car and I thought it would be fun. The car has been fun, but I miss traction. I had a GT-R before and that car will get it even in less that ideal situations. I know a lot of folks don't like the GT-R because they feel it is a car that drives itself, but I don't feel that way at all. I see it as a car that can better utilize the potential of 500+ hp on the street.

^ Most likely, I just got done watching a few 2012 GT-R videos and if it was the same price I paid for my GT500 I would of gotten one but I don't think I will ever be able to drop $100k on a car let alone a Nissan/ Datsun.

Sweet car though, I wish GM would put the LSA in their AWD CTS coupe or put AWD on their CTS-V coupe. That would give the GT-R some good American competition.

Nissan GT-R is a beast man!! But I bet they would sell those for over 100k.

They aren't cheap, but not quite that high. I'm getting a Premium with the only two options being floormats and a backup camera with an MSRP under $92k. There is a black edition available this year that adds special wheels, Recaro seats, two tone interior and a dark headliner for around $96k.

I'm getting a small discount on my car and will probably lease because residuals on the GT-R are really good. A 3 year/12k miles lease on my 2011 had a 67% residual. I'm hoping for something similar for the 2012, but if not interest rates are really good right now so I will just suck it up.

I'm going to miss the sound of the 5.4 in my Shelby. The GT-R sounds like a Hoover at full boil unless you spring for an exhaust which changes the sound to more like a Hoover with the bag removed. I'm willing to sacrifice the sound and good looks of the Shelby for the real world performance of the GT-R. It is too bad I can't keep them both.

There are more used 2011 GT500 out there then you think. I have seen 5+ and I'm not even looking. My guess to why they are selling is they thought 550 hp would feel faster so they moved into a ZR1 or got tired of the 1-2 grind.

Please send them my way! I'm in the market again for a used 2011. :)

Kona Blue with white stripes like my 10 or Kona with the SVT package is ok too.

I Knew the day would come when old Shelby's would drop like rocks in the auction market . Well those days are here . WAY TO MANY SHELBY'S are out there period. Just look @ Barrett and Mecum it's unreal. I have talked to alot of people and it seems the market is saturated to the boiling point. .-------- I am only talking about OLD Shelby's

There is an 2011 with the performance package in the twin cities in Minnesota with 2700 miles on it for 43000 for sale. The guy that had it has four other cars I think and moved to a place with a smaller toy storage area so the dealer is selling that one for him or something like that.

Coldfingers

I Knew the day would come when old Shelby's would drop like rocks in the auction market . Well those days are here . WAY TO MANY SHELBY'S are out there period. Just look @ Barrett and Mecum it's unreal. I have talked to alot of people and it seems the market is saturated to the boiling point. Well Ford you made your money and it's not rare anymore.

The GT500 isn't and was never intended to be rare. They have been built by the tens of thousands over the years and this is hardly a surprise to anyone who underestands corporate business. No GT500 buyer was ever promised a collectable classic or a new vehicle that would be immune to the expected rates of depreciation. Auto manufacturers are in the business of making money by unit sales of everything they market. They are clearly not looking to expend development capital and then not maximize their return on this investment. Very simple business concept that many hard core enthusiasts are resistant to acknowledge.

The GT500 isn't and was never intended to be rare. They have been built by the tens of thousands over the years and this is hardly a surprise to anyone who underestands corporate business. No GT500 buyer was ever promised a collectable classic or a new vehicle that would be immune to the expected rates of depreciation. Auto manufacturers are in the business of making money by unit sales of everything they market. They are clearly not looking to expend development capital and then not maximize their return on this investment. Very simple business concept that many hard core enthusiasts are resistant to acknowledge.

Correct. And the biggest danger is the mistaken presumption that GT500 will abate short-term depreciation. The shorter, the worse for GT500 owners compared to Mustang GT.

The only potential upside comes many years down the road when, only by virtue of being made in smaller numbers are there likely to be fewer - with higher performance, than a GT. But we're talking 2040 here - and questions about fossil fuel availability by then may not even render them drivable without massive conversions to other fuel forms.

Otherwise, during the normal ownership period, GT500 is only one thing - MORE expensive, in virtually every conceivable way.

Correct. And the biggest danger is the mistaken presumption that GT500 will abate short-term depreciation. The shorter, the worse for GT500 owners compared to Mustang GT.

The only potential upside comes many years down the road when, only by virtue of being made in smaller numbers are there likely to be fewer - with higher performance, than a GT. But we're talking 2040 here - and questions about fossil fuel availability by then may not even render them drivable without massive conversions to other fuel forms.

Otherwise, during the normal ownership period, GT500 is only one thing - MORE expensive, in virtually every conceivable way.

there'll be plenty of fossil fuel--the issue is whether the govt will allow the high octane stuff we use,or will it be 35% ethanol by then--or be outlawed by EPA bacuse of carbon polllution PULEASE!!!

There is an 2011 with the performance package in the twin cities in Minnesota with 2700 miles on it for 43000 for sale. The guy that had it has four other cars I think and moved to a place with a smaller toy storage area so the dealer is selling that one for him or something like that.

Coldfingers

Please...

Send me a pm with info on this one!!

I am interested.

Thanks!

Scott

Hello I am in the market for a 2011 shelby gt500. I have found a used one with 4500 miles with the svt performance package and navigaton that I can purchase for 42,000. Is this a good deal or is this generally common wth the mileage listed? I know the 2010s have greatly depreciated due to 2011 improvements however I didn't know how the used market was for the 2011 shelby gt500. Any purchase advise would be helpful from those that have recently bought new or gently used 2011 shelbys.

With clean Carfax...snag that bad boy up!! If not (depending on color)...I will (send me a PM) :happy feet:

Archived