TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hmm think I just made a mistake

Bassaholic

So my shelby has been sitting for about 6 months and finally got it out and drove it. Well I decided to put a fuel additive in it since it had been sitting so long (some type of fuel injection cleaner) and I guess that was a bad idea. I now have a check engine light and my fuel gauge shows half full even though i know i filled it up. So I have gone through atleast one tank of fuel and refilled and the light wont go away. Anybody else make this mistake like me and did you have to take it to ford to get it fixed or did it eventually go away? Im gonna pull the code again b/c i cant remember. Ill post it up in 5 min.

well now it wont pull the code. Last time it had gone away when I got down to about a 1/4 of a tank left but came back after i filled up. But i remember it being some sensor in the gas tank but cannot remember the code number. Its at 1/4 tank now so im gonna run it out and refill and see if it comes back. Just wanted to know if anybody else had this problem.

well now it wont pull the code. Last time it had gone away when I got down to about a 1/4 of a tank left but came back after i filled up. But i remember it being some sensor in the gas tank but cannot remember the code number. Its at 1/4 tank now so im gonna run it out and refill and see if it comes back. Just wanted to know if anybody else had this problem.

I store her with a full tank and a gas stabilizer. I'm not sure if that's the same as a cleaner. I know I stored a 1/2 tank of gas for my outboard without a stabilizer and in the spring in had an inch of water floating on top. That's because of the new gas/alcohol mixture now days. The alcohol pulls moisture out of the air.

You didn't do anything wrong,you just need to do one more thing. Add some TECHRON fuel treatment Today's fuel varnishes real easy and fuel stabilizer doesn't help for this problem once it's on there.It will take a while to clean the varnish on the sending unit but it should be ok with some driving.I would advise using it every once in a while even in the driving season as it will further prevent it from happening again.

You didn't do anything wrong,you just need to do one more thing. Add some TECHRON fuel treatment Today's fuel varnishes real easy and fuel stabilizer doesn't help for this problem once it's on there.It will take a while to clean the varnish on the sending unit but it should be ok with some driving.I would advise using it every once in a while even in the driving season as it will further prevent it from happening again.

http://www.amazon.com/Chevron-Techron-Fuel-System-Cleaner/dp/B00092893E

Is that the right cleaner? Also ill try the battery disconnect and a good drive as well. Anything from going to the dealership. I just don't want them to check codes and find out there was a sct tune on it just a few hours before lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Chevron-Techron-Fuel-System-Cleaner/dp/B00092893E

Is that the right cleaner? Also ill try the battery disconnect and a good drive as well. Anything from going to the dealership. I just don't want them to check codes and find out there was a sct tune on it just a few hours before lol.

Yes, that is it and it is recommended by Ford!

On the shelf at any O'reilly Auto Parts.

Or any Chevron gas station/mini-mart.

Techron is THE BEST, you can not beat it.

I recommned you use it on a regular basis, not just for winter storage.

Add 1/2 bottle every so often UPON FILL UP (do NOT add it to a low tank).

Phill

I store her with a full tank and a gas stabilizer. I'm not sure if that's the same as a cleaner. I know I stored a 1/2 tank of gas for my outboard without a stabilizer and in the spring in had an inch of water floating on top. That's because of the new gas/alcohol mixture now days. The alcohol pulls moisture out of the air.

+1

stabil0903.jpg

Or any Chevron gas station/mini-mart.

Techron is THE BEST, you can not beat it.

I recommned you use it on a regular basis, not just for winter storage.

Add 1/2 bottle every so often UPON FILL UP (do NOT add it to a low tank).

Phill

Costco carries it...Techron

Well I tried the techron and it worked great!!! It played the game at first where it shows half a tank after I just filled up but then it slowly went to full and never threw a check engine light at me. I'v driven it about 100 miles so far and no problems. Im so happy, ill never buy a cheap fuel injection cleaner again! I will definitely use a stabilizer next time I store it.

Archived