TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Alum Driveshafts CHEAP at AmericanMuscle

07SGT5687

How about I make it even curiouser. Steeda is located right here in my hometown. I called them a few days ago and asked (someone I know well but who shall remain nameless) if Steeda made their own driveshafts. He said "NO". I did not ask who made them. How do you like them apples?

Lol, the plot thickens !

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for fun, I just called my contact at Steeda. I'm not going to speak for Steeda. He asked for the link to this thread and I just emailed it to him. I suspect a Steeda rep might chime in at some point. This could get funny.

<added> I will say this - both Axle Exchanges driveshafts and Steeda driveshafts are made in America. If this thing comes in with "Made In China" on it somewhere, someone at AM will find out how far it can be inserted you know where. </added>

Good God. Sorry guys. Never meant for this to get so crazy. The guy that emailed me from Axle Exchange was named Mark ****. And his exact words were stated above. I won't speculate as to if he knew exactly what he was talking about or if the info GoldGus received was correct either.

All I know is when I was a bit disgusted that the the AM shafts varied so much in price form the GT to the GT500, I emailed Axle Exchange and they said the cheap one (GT500 one) was someone else's and the expensive one (GT one) was theirs.

Again, here is the entire email chain. You tell me if I misunderstood something here?

Heya Mark,

Thank you much for the explanation. That makes perfect sense I total understand the cost variance now. Can't quite $700 right now so I'll just have to keep an eye out for a screamin deal one of these days.

Again, thanks,

JR

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Mark ********<axleexchange@yahoo.com> wrote:

Jr I spoke to our pals at AM and explained the situation. The shafts on sale are not made by us but another vendor that they are clearing out. If you look at the part numbers on their site the sale ones do not match ours. Our numbers(which both Steeda and AM use) start with MA.

GTs and Cobras are basically the same shaft except for length. 2011s are a whole different story.

There is a difference between our shafts and most of our competetors. We do not use cutdown Ranger shafts,we do not use CAM parts,we use HD Spicer U-joints plus more.

Jr here are a couple pics we took of our competetors shaft side by side with ours, you be the judge.

Hope this helps and please by all means give us a call to chat. The reason we do not offer online ordering is because we want to talk to our customers.

In other news we just finished the 2011 V-6 Manual driveshaft and was tested by JDM Enginering at 145mph on Monday. We will be working on the automatic version with American Muscle for their project car next week.

Mark

www.axleexchange.com

To: Mark ********<axleexchange@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tue, January 25, 2011 4:25:49 PM

Subject: Re: 07 SGT Drive Shaft

Hey,

Thanks for the response, but here's my qusetion... American Muscle (your products I understand) has the GT500 one's on sale right now for $487 delivered. So what's different about the plain GT ones that's a little over $200 more?

For what it's worth, I posted up their sale of the GT500 one's on the Team Shelby website this morning and by the sound of it, the guys snatched them ALL up. But I just don't understand why the GT one's are so much more expensive?

Help me understand.

Thanks, JR

07SGT5687

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Mark ********<axleexchange@yahoo.com> wrote:

Justin they are in stock @ $699.95 with free shipping til the end of the month

Just give us a call

Mark

www.axleexchange.com

To: info@axle-exchange.com

Sent: Tue, January 25, 2011 1:25:49 PM

Subject: 07 SGT Drive Shaft

Heya,

Saw someone talking about your products on the Team Shelby website. I have an 07 SGT and would like to know for how much you could get me a one piece aluminum drive shaft delivered to 80123? It would be the standard GT one... not the GT500 one.

Let me know... plenty of interested customers over here.

Cheers, JR

303.****.****

Further more... did someone say the "other" driveshaft AM sells is a Steeda DS... that they have "someone" make? And did Mark just say that they sell drive shafts to American Muscle AND.... Steeda? Maybe the "other" one is ALSO and Axle Exchange piece... wouldn't that be funny... and fortunate to all those that just purchased.... and then also brings back up my points of the cost difference.... :banghead:

Further more... did someone say the "other" driveshaft AM sells is a Steeda DS... that they have "someone" make? And did Mark just say that they sell drive shafts to American Muscle AND.... Steeda? Maybe the "other" one is ALSO and Axle Exchange piece... wouldn't that be funny... and fortunate to all those that just purchased.... and then also brings back up my points of the cost difference.... :banghead:

No one said that but Mark seemed to imply that AE makes Steeda's according to the email response you received.

It would be nice for AM to post a clarification for all to see.

No one said that but Mark seemed to imply it according to the email response you received.

It would be nice for AM to post a clarification for all to see.

Well ok, but AM told FiaCobra;

Ok, just got off the phone with American Muscle. This is what they said:

They only carry (2) manufactures of driveshafts for the '07-'11 Mustang. Steeda and Axle Exchange. He told me that item # 16215 is in fact a Steeda driveshaft.

Not trying to "he said, she said" here. Just trying to connect the dots and at this point, it appears that AM says they carry 2 brands... Axle Exchange and Steeda... and Axle Exchange says they sell to American Muscle and Steeda. And Steeda says the don't make their own DS's. Ergo, vis-a-vis, ipso facto.... seems like a connected triangle to me. But I guess AE could be selling Steeda DS's other than the one's we're talking about. But regardless... sounds very possible to me that one shaft is Axle Exchange and the other is also Axle Exchange VIA Steeda.

Well ok, but AM told FiaCobra;

Not trying to "he said, she said" here. Just trying to connect the dots and at this point, it appears that AM says they carry 2 brands... Axle Exchange and Steeda... and Axle Exchange says they sell to American Muscle and Steeda. And Steeda says the don't make their own DS's. Ergo, vis-a-vis, ipso facto.... seems like a connected triangle to me. But I guess AE could be selling Steeda DS's other than the one's we're talking about. But regardless... sounds very possible to me that one shaft is Axle Exchange and the other is also Axle Exchange VIA Steeda.

FiaCobra said AM said it was a Steeda DS. I said I was told earlier this week that Steeda did not make their own DS. The email you received from Axle Exchange says their part number and Steeda's part number are the same. So far no one from any manufacturer has posted to give us their official version.

What hasn't been said is that AM owns Stack Racing, which has a lot of parts manufactured in China. Not that there's anything wrong with that in and of itself. However, if they say the driveshaft was made by an American company that either manufactures their own or sells one manufactured in America, well that is an entirely different matter. :)

Guys,

Be careful, the add says it is a 4" diameter shaft. I know that some of the GT500 guys had a problem with the 4" ones hitting the tunnel. Most went with the 3.5" drive shaft.

There has to be a reason these drive shafts are cheaper.

Just information to consider.

overtime

OK from the horse's mouth:

Mike,

Thanks for emailing in. They were the Axle Exchange Driveshaft's, but we

will be switching to the Steeda Driveshaft's. I hope this helps. Thanks, and

have a nice day!

Andrew Hanlon

AmericanMuscle.com

Customer Service Email Team Lead

Toll Free: 1 (866) 727-1266

Local: (610) 251-2397

Fax: (610) 251-0263

OK, so let me re-clarify my statement:

First call I made was to American Muscle - asked flat out "who manufactures this driveshaft?" I was told, after a short hold that it was made by Axle-Exchange in Fairfield, NJ, and yes, it was a 4" shaft.

Second call was to Barry at Axle-Exchange, asked him flat out: "Is this your product, and is it DIFFERENT IN ANY WAY from what you sell directly?"Answer was yes its ours, and exact same as what they sell directly.

I also told Barry I was concerned about the 4" instead of 3.5" - He said it will have no fitment problems as long as the car is not lowered more than 1.25" - If it was, you need an adjustable Upper Link to adjust the pinion angle properly. He also said this piece uses the pinion flange plate that they provide, and not some other kind of adapter plate.

Bottom line? If its not what they said, it gets shipped back to them at their cost.

Being that I work not 15 minutes form Axle-Exchange, I will most likely bring the driveshaft up to them to confirm that it is, indeed, their product.

The driveshaft arrived today at my house, unfortunately i'm in Atlanta on business and wont be home until Thursday night, when I can unwrap and inspect it...

That's if I get home with all the snow up there right now...

Stay Tuned,

GUS

OK, so let me re-clarify my statement:

First call I made was to American Muscle - asked flat out "who manufactures this driveshaft?" I was told, after a short hold that it was made by Axle-Exchange in Fairfield, NJ, and yes, it was a 4" shaft.

Second call was to Barry at Axle-Exchange, asked him flat out: "Is this your product, and is it DIFFERENT IN ANY WAY from what you sell directly?"Answer was yes its ours, and exact same as what they sell directly.

I also told Barry I was concerned about the 4" instead of 3.5" - He said it will have no fitment problems as long as the car is not lowered more than 1.25" - If it was, you need an adjustable Upper Link to adjust the pinion angle properly. He also said this piece uses the pinion flange plate that they provide, and not some other kind of adapter plate.

Bottom line? If its not what they said, it gets shipped back to them at their cost.

Being that I work not 15 minutes form Axle-Exchange, I will most likely bring the driveshaft up to them to confirm that it is, indeed, their product.

The driveshaft arrived today at my house, unfortunately i'm in Atlanta on business and wont be home until Thursday night, when I can unwrap and inspect it...

That's if I get home with all the snow up there right now...

Stay Tuned,

GUS

Sounds like it's being drop-shipped from AE, no?

<added> Never mind. Just got UPS shipping info </added>

They dropped my order. Here is the email I got from them stating such.

"The Mustang Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft (07-09 GT500) that you ordered has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience. Your order has been cancelled since we never captured the payment.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your patience."

They dropped my order. Here is the email I got from them stating such.

"The Mustang Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft (07-09 GT500) that you ordered has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience. Your order has been cancelled since we never captured the payment.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your patience."

I guess I in the same boat just got the same e mail :banghead:

Ok, called AM and there's nothing that can be done. I will not be getting a driveshaft for the $487 deal.

For those that did get the deal, you'll need to see what manufacture made your driveshaft. I'm under the impression it's not one from Axle Exchange or Steeda (since Axle Exchange makes them for Steeda)

As per the guy on the phone at AM, they do not carry any driveshafts for the 07-11 GT-500.

They either lost a vendor, or are in the process of getting a new vendor. From the few phone calls that I made, my guess is:

AM had a few left over driveshafts from the un-named vendor. They stopped using the un named vendor and started a new business agreement with Axle Exchange as their new vendor. AM wanted to clear out the old inventory from the un named vendor before advertising the new driveshafts from AE. So..........those that got the deal got a driveshaft from the un named vendor. Those that will get to order a new driveshaft at the full price will get an AE driveshaft. THAT is my guess on what happened with this whole thing.

I don't have a problem with any of it except for one thing. AM was NOT clear on who made their driveshaft that they were selling for $487. I was told (during 2 separate phone calls to AM) that it was a Steeda driveshaft (yesterdays phone call) and it was an Axle Exchange driveshaft (Todays phone call) My guess is it was neither Steeda or AE. The driveshaft was from the out going un named vendor. Again, this is what I think happened. Do not take what I wrote here to the bank, I don't want to spread false rumors. This is only what I believe might have happened.

Ok, called AM and there's nothing that can be done. I will not be getting a driveshaft for the $487 deal.

For those that did get the deal, you'll need to see what manufacture made your driveshaft. I'm under the impression it's not one from Axle Exchange or Steeda (since Axle Exchange makes them for Steeda)

As per the guy on the phone at AM, they do not carry any driveshafts for the 07-11 GT-500.

They either lost a vendor, or are in the process of getting a new vendor. From the few phone calls that I made, my guess is:

AM had a few left over driveshafts from the un-named vendor. They stopped using the un named vendor and started a new business agreement with Axle Exchange as their new vendor. AM wanted to clear out the old inventory from the un named vendor before advertising the new driveshafts from AE. So..........those that got the deal got a driveshaft from the un named vendor. Those that will get to order a new driveshaft at the full price will get an AE driveshaft. THAT is my guess on what happened with this whole thing.

I don't have a problem with any of it except for one thing. AM was NOT clear on who made their driveshaft that they were selling for $487. I was told (during 2 separate phone calls to AM) that it was a Steeda driveshaft (yesterdays phone call) and it was an Axle Exchange driveshaft (Todays phone call) My guess is it was neither Steeda or AE. The driveshaft was from the out going un named vendor. Again, this is what I think happened. Do not take what I wrote here to the bank, I don't want to spread false rumors. This is only what I believe might have happened.

Andrew Hanlon's response to my email (see post 42 above) says otherwise. Who'd you talk to?

Andrew Hanlon's response to my email (see post 42 above) says otherwise. Who'd you talk to?

Spoke to someone named Jay over at AM. Jay told me that it was an AE drive shaft. Some guy over at AM told me yesterday that it was a Steeda drive shaft.

Went as far as contacting Mark over at AE. He told me it was NOT one of his drive shafts. Mark told me to look at the part #. It's NOT his drive shaft. I'm going to believe Mark over what you and I was told by the confused folks over at American Muscle. To be honest, I believe it's a vendor change and AM wants to remain neutral to the out going vendor. That's my guess.

Edit to add: I wrote a nice professional email to the fine folks at American Muscle. I'm awaiting their reply.

- Joe

Spoke to someone named Jay over at AM. Jay told me that it was an AE drive shaft. Some guy over at AM told me yesterday that it was a Steeda drive shaft.

Went as far as contacting Mark over at AE. He told me it was NOT one of his drive shafts. Mark told me to look at the part #. It's NOT his drive shaft. I'm going to believe Mark over what you and I was told by the confused folks over at American Muscle. To be honest, I believe it's a vendor change and AM wants to remain neutral to the out going vendor. That's my guess.

Edit to add: I wrote a nice professional email to the fine folks at American Muscle. I'm awaiting their reply.

- Joe

If goldgus gets home tonight he'll let us know. Mine's not supposed to arrive until Monday.

AM usually responds pretty quickly. Let us know.

Ok, got a reply from AM. They state that the driveshaft was in fact an "Axle Exchange" unit.

So, with that, I quit. I don't know who to believe anymore. All I know is i'm NOT getting an aluminum driveshaft.

I think I'm going to skip it and get a carbon fiber one. Can anyone point me in the direction of a carbon fiber drive shaft ?

When I called before i placed the oreder I asked who made it. The guy said, " I do not know, I think Ford does". I said would you please find out for me? He put me on hold . Then he returned and said it was made by "Axle Exchange". The guy I talked with did not seem well informed on there products at all.

Based on everyones conversations with American Muscle, I guess the only way to know for sure who made these drive shafts is going to be when they arrive at the customer.

I think I'm going to skip it and get a carbon fiber one. Can anyone point me in the direction of a carbon fiber drive shaft ?

I bought a 1-piece Carbon Fiber PST driveshaft from Justin at VMP.

You can buy direct from PST (pstds.com) too.

The PST driveshaft has a CV joint on the pinion end which I MUCH prefer over a slip yoke.

The prices are pretty close between PST and VMP with Justin being something like $49 more than PST but I figured at ~$1200, $49 wasn't going to break me and I'd have someone I trusted (and had direct access to via TS forums) if I had a problem.

PST is the only one *I* know of that makes a CF driveshaft for a GT500 but there may be otehrs.

Oh, and Justin recommended the DS be 51" long. That is actually just a HAIR short vs the OE shafts at 51-1/2" but it would have been difficult to squeeze another 1/2" in between the pinion flange and the transmission flange so I'd stick with 51" if I were to do it again.

HTH,

Phill

I assume this is weather related (at least I hope it is or else UPS has totally lost it):

Laurel, MD, United States 01/27/201111:57 P.M.Arrival Scan

Philadelphia, PA, United States 01/27/20119:37 P.M.Departure Scan

(Blank) 01/27/20119:20 P.M.Arrival Scan

Horsham, PA, United States 01/27/20118:10 P.M.Departure Scan

(Blank) 01/27/20118:56 A.M.Arrival Scan West

Chester, PA, United States 01/27/20116:25 A.M.Departure Scan

Laurel, MD, United States 01/26/201111:00 P.M.Adverse weather conditions

West Chester, PA, United States 01/26/20118:50 P.M.Origin Scan

United States 01/26/20115:09 P.M.Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I just got my drive shaft from the UPS guy. It is the Axle Exchange drive shaft, if they make the drive shaft for Steeda. The box says Steeda and 16215 on it. It has "Spicer", "F2-789" stamped by the yolk/u-joint and the "MA" ,talked about below, stamped at the same location . On the box it has a label showing "MAMTCOBRAST"

Earlier post.................

"The shafts on sale are not made by us but another vendor that they are clearing out. If you look at the part numbers on their site the sale ones do not match ours. Our numbers(which both Steeda and AM use) start with MA.GTs and Cobras are basically the same shaft except for length. 2011s are a whole different story.

There is a difference between our shafts and most of our competetors. We do not use cutdown Ranger shafts,we do not use CAM parts,we use HD Spicer U-joints plus more.""

OK, Just looked at the driveshaft... It is freakin beautiful, and really light.

It is indeed, the exact one that is pictured on the Axle-Exchange website...

Has the Spicer U-joints mentioned above too.

This is my first purchase from AM, shipping was overnight, and price was right... However I just don't think too many of the "phone-folks" over there know whats going on...

Sorry to the guys who got shut out, this is indeed a beautiful piece.

I will report back once its installed, and looking at the weather and amount of snow that has to melt.. that could be June...

GUS

Archived