TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Performance Mufflers

I'm having trouble figuring out what types of mufflers to put on the car, I want something that will turn heads. I thought about buying the shelby muffler deletes, which would be perfect for track days, but I need something that I can keep on all the time. The cops around the house are already looking for an little reason to pull me over. If possible I'd like better exhaust flow with the sound, but the sound is more important to me. Any ideas will be appreciated.

I'm having trouble figuring out what types of mufflers to put on the car, I want something that will turn heads. I thought about buying the shelby muffler deletes, which would be perfect for track days, but I need something that I can keep on all the time. The cops around the house are already looking for an little reason to pull me over. If possible I'd like better exhaust flow with the sound, but the sound is more important to me. Any ideas will be appreciated.

I put SLP Loudmouth deletes on my SGT and was amazed how loud they AREN'T. When you first fire it up cold, it's a little loud, then the computer calms the car down and it gets pretty reasonable. At full throttle, it rasps, and it DOES pop and crackle during a hard downshift. No "drone" at highway speeds. The exhaust BEFORE the axles quiets things down a lot, I think.

When I moved to Vegas, I learned that the cops don't really care, so... NEITHER DID I! hysterical.gif

So, I was almost a little disappointed!

That being said, it is not as "refined" a sound, so listen to deletes before you buy a set. I kinda miss the "purr" of my original SGT mufflers.

Unfortunately, the dealer handling my broken muffler bracket warranty claim is on Month 11, and I still have two driver's side mufflers on my garage floor. Oh, it's been fun.

Jer

This is such a hugely subjective subject. I am not sure that anyone could describe their setup to you in words and then you be totally satisfied after purchasing. If I were going to lay out the cash for a muffler system that sounds perfect to me, there is no way I would do it without hearing the system in person first. And it would have to be on a similarly stock/modified engine. Any modifications to the engine can make a huge difference in sound between two vehicles.

That being said, I I LOVE the stock Shelby GT sound. It is somewhat noisy when you stand on it, but it is tame on the inside. A buddy of mine had a California GT that he added loud mufflers too. Three weeks later he was sick of the drone and he sourced a set of Shelby GT mufflers to change out to. Perfectly satisfied now!

If I were going to make an investment in sound to get the attention of others, it would much more likely be upgrading the camshafts first. That sophisticated "rumpity rump' is way more impressive to me than the BLAH BLAH BLAH of a dump truck like loud exhaust.

OK, just one more opinion. I am sure there will be LOTS of others!

I love my cherry bombs vortex !!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got deletes now. You're right, at the track, they rock. On the street, however, it's way too much to tolerate if you drive it on a regular basis.

I'm going with Magnaflows - I've heard every other muffler available for these cars and I like the straight through 'flows the best.

I've got deletes now. You're right, at the track, they rock. On the street, however, it's way too much to tolerate if you drive it on a regular basis.

I'm going with Magnaflows - I've heard every other muffler available for these cars and I like the straight through 'flows the best.

Ken, your car proves my theory... with the standard SGT setup (regular manifolds, cats, ENGINE (ahem), a lot of noise is mitigated before the axles.

YOUR car is just freakin' unreasonable. You don't get to vote here.

yahoo.gif

Jer

Ken, your car proves my theory... with the standard SGT setup (regular manifolds, cats, ENGINE (ahem), a lot of noise is mitigated before the axles.

yahoo.gif

Jer

+1 but it's an ANIMAL! :happy feet:

+1 but it's an ANIMAL! :happy feet:

Yes.

And Ken knows I'm kidding.

I drove home after hearing his car at the Bash and started looking around my garage for space to store my current engine, so I could order a new one.

Jer

Yes.

And Ken knows I'm kidding.

I drove home after hearing his car at the Bash and started looking around my garage for space to store my current engine, so I could order a new one.

Jer

Haha! I wish I had the cash to build a motor and store my original motor. Storing the motor is a very tedious thing and takes a lot of work. It needs a perfect storage environment and needs to be properly prepped for storage or else it will have issues if you ever decide to run it again. But man Ken's motor sure is sweet! I'm doing some mods this March at JDM, listed them in my signature. That's my "motor build" for me lol. Will get me to about 425-445hp @ the flywheel. :peelout:

One day I'll have the $ and time to build a motor from scratch...one day :dreamy:

And I know this is off topic, but your car looks sweet! I'm diggin' the chrome razors with the big red calipers!

Brandon

Haha! I wish I had the cash to build a motor and store my original motor. Storing the motor is a very tedious thing and takes a lot of work. It needs a perfect storage environment and needs to be properly prepped for storage or else it will have issues if you ever decide to run it again. But man Ken's motor sure is sweet! I'm doing some mods this March at JDM, listed them in my signature. That's my "motor build" for me lol. Will get me to about 425-445hp @ the flywheel. :peelout:

One day I'll have the $ and time to build a motor from scratch...one day :dreamy:

And I know this is off topic, but your car looks sweet! I'm diggin' the chrome razors with the big red calipers!

Brandon

Thanks, Brandon! Took a few years off my life finding the right ones (right size, right offsets, right finish, WITH logo)... but once I saw the chrome ones on Dave Calkins' car, I had to have 'em.

As for the engine thing, I'll replace it if I window the block or something, but otherwise, I'll most likely supercharge it as is, and be gentle with it. If I go further, well, then I'll do forged stuff, cams, just hop everything up.

Jer

yahoo.gif

Jer

play.gif

• 2 weeks later...

PM vapor08gt500. He has a great MMS muffler for the gt 500 that may work for your application.

Thanks Rich!!

I have these mufflers custom made, they sound amazing...here is the sound clip thread with a bunch of different combos....

MMS muffler sound clip thread

Alex

Archived