TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Garage/Man Cave input

jwestercamp

HEY! Well I'll be dipped in....

THAT is just like the one I was talking about in my previous post. Ours wasn't all nice and purty and red like that, but if it's not the same *exact* lift as that, it's a real close duplicate to it. And remember, our was used in a commercial setting so it got used HARD (and often) as opposed to a home setting where it gets used occasionally.

I can tell you from first hand experience that that lift works really well. Like I said, it's probably not real good for undercar work but it's GREAT for tire & brake work, or getting the car up to detail the lower half when you have a bad back like I do. NO BENDING!!!

I suppose you could use the lift to raise the car up to max height and then make some stands to sit the car on and keep the car up in the air, then remove the lift and get under it for...whatever.

Do you have a link/URL to whoever sells that lift? I may just have to settle for something like that as it's better than my present floor jack and 4 jackstands.

Phill

Here ya go

http://superlifts.com/scissorlift/tmr48.html

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd really like a Made In USA lift. It's worth the $ to me when making a final decision.

My fear of the four post lift isn't so much the wrenching, just the enormity of it all.

I've had my company relocate me within 2 days, I'd hate to have to think about getting that sucker ready to move on short notice.

And I wouldn't wanna leave it to my wife to deal with. (I already have a recording studio that I built into flight cases so it can move in 3 hours' notice. <grin>)

Do I expect to move again soon? No.

Have I ever? No.

Short of that, look at the mods I wanna do. Many are difficult with a four post.

Sssnake's idea can work many times, so that's valuable info. Just don't know about swapping out the K-member that way. Maybe.

Lots of good info here, guys, keep it coming - and thanks!

Jer

Hmmm... I like it.

Yeah, ya can't get in the middle of the car... tough to do the clutch... but there's my excuse for having a shop do it... <heh heh heh>

For other mods, it might be just enough.

Jer

I'd really like a Made In USA lift. It's worth the $ to me when making a final decision.

My fear of the four post lift isn't so much the wrenching, just the enormity of it all.

I've had my company relocate me within 2 days, I'd hate to have to think about getting that sucker ready to move on short notice.

And I wouldn't wanna leave it to my wife to deal with. (I already have a recording studio that I built into flight cases so it can move in 3 hours' notice. <grin>)

Do I expect to move again soon? No.

Have I ever? No.

Short of that, look at the mods I wanna do. Many are difficult with a four post.

Sssnake's idea can work many times, so that's valuable info. Just don't know about swapping out the K-member that way. Maybe.

Lots of good info here, guys, keep it coming - and thanks!

Jer

Jer, when I started reading your post I was thinking "witness protection program" :lol:

Yeah, a K-member might be a challenge and although a 4 post can be moved (with the casters) quite easily, it won't quite fit in a suitcase :)

If space is of a premium, and your lift requirements won't exceed about 48" then maybe the lift shown above is a good choice of course then there are other issuse like you probably won't be doing any cluches or exhaust systems with it.

I'm sorry, I didn't see you list of proposed mods.

Hmmm... I like it.

Yeah, ya can't get in the middle of the car... tough to do the clutch... but there's my excuse for having a shop do it... <heh heh heh>

I tried to get the shop owner to sell me his "old piece'a junk" to me on the cheap after I retired. I figured he was a super tight-ass so I could get a deal on it.

He's no dummy, he wouldn't sell it.

But my thought was to use the lift to get the car up and then use tall jackstands or platform type stands. Maybe even have some made about 18" high so the belly of the car would be about 2 feet off the ground. Lower the car onto the stands, move the lift out the back and clutch, exhaust, etc. work would be a cakewalk.

I don't see a price on that site though, which worries me!

It's been my experience that anything hydraulic costs money. If might be more cost effective to go with a 4 post.

BTW, as far as taking down a 4-post and moving it...when we had a new shop built we had a 4-poster put in the end bay for exhaust work. They break down and set-up pretty quickly but they ARE heavy. Each ramp was made out of diamond plate and each post was HEAVY DUTY so it took a forklift to get the parts close to where we wanted them before planting them. I think a couple of big guys could move each post but the ramps are HEAVY. *Maybe* four guys per ramp, two at each end could move 'em.

But the set-up and take-down time are quick. We had our anchored into the concrete floor but each post had 4 lugs so a impact wrench could get that done in quick time.

The only "awkward" part is the steel cable. It's like a snake....with grease all over it....and spines sticking out all over the place (and they WILL cut you, in a hot second).

Phill

Yeah, thanks. I feel like a dumb-ass!

I saw it as soon as I sent my post and read the next one down!

Do you have any idea of the cost of that one? I don't see it listed on that site.

TIA,

Phill

From the Superlifts site.... WOW... that's awfully cool. And that SR7-H really IS nice. Wonder if I can get it in SGT silver... hmmm...

Jer

"Timeless. Most people only purchase one lift in their lifetime. That's why we offer our 5-Star warranty on the SR-7H Series. It's pretty simple: We will warranty any part of your lift for as long as you own it. You see, saying you build the "best lift" in the industry is easy, showing it is something else!"

I found the heavy duty hooks at home depot... I think they are like barn door stops that you drop a board in... Perhaps slight overkill... Perfect hood storage though!!

Looking forward to the pics!!

OCD, thanks for the idea. Just went to Home Depot and found the angle stock and hooks. I will mount my 2006 GT-H take off hood # 120 of 300 signed by Carroll Shelby.

While not the man cave some have here, it is my wall of fame with the hood mounted. Thanks OCD for the idea.

Very cool!

Jer

Love the motorcraft sign where did you get it?

Check this out: See this post. Part number is in there, but not sure if still available. Definitely try the guy in Post #29 on that thread. That is where I got mine. But that was almost two years ago now.

http://www.teamshelb...__1?do=findComment&comment=699132

Hope it helps.

bad link any thoughts? Thanks!

Try this but it is several years old. Good luck

Call 803-359-4114 and ask for Don Fetner (he is the parts mgr) tell him you want the same sign that he ordered for Craig and he'll know what you are talking about. This is in the dealerships "marketing" catalog and this is why some are having problems locating it. Don showed me where the sign lists for $60, but said he would sale for $40 plus tax and shipping. Just call him. I got a little better price as Don is an active member of our local Mustang club and we have a club discount available, but I think at this price he is offering you can't go wrong. Sign is of very good quality! Hope this helps.

While not the man cave some have here, it is my wall of fame with the hood mounted. Thanks OCD for the idea.

Dude that looks really cool, but you so have to tell your wife or GF that the pink boarder window thing on the door window has to go. :hysterical:

Dude that looks really cool, but you so have to tell your wife or GF that the pink boarder window thing on the door window has to go. :hysterical:

It's been there so long I never noticed. I think a nice checkered curtain would be cool. Thanks :happy feet:

Try this but it is several years old. Good luck

Call 803-359-4114 and ask for Don Fetner (he is the parts mgr) tell him you want the same sign that he ordered for Craig and he'll know what you are talking about. This is in the dealerships "marketing" catalog and this is why some are having problems locating it. Don showed me where the sign lists for $60, but said he would sale for $40 plus tax and shipping. Just call him. I got a little better price as Don is an active member of our local Mustang club and we have a club discount available, but I think at this price he is offering you can't go wrong. Sign is of very good quality! Hope this helps.

BAD NEWS CALLED DON VERY NICE GUY BUT HE SAID THEY NO LONGER HAVE THIS AVAILABLE, IF ANYONE HAS AN EXTRA ONE I WOULD LOVE TO BUY IT LET ME KNOW THANKS!

Gentlemen,

I like a relatively uncluttered look in my garage. I used Premier Garage for a GREAT LOOKING and indestructible flooring with wall mounted cabinets. Wood shutters that match the cabinets and some nice paintings and/or framed art completes the decor.

Chip

post-12804-0-10480400-1299613549_thumb.jpg

post-12804-0-10480400-1299613549_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen,

I like a relatively uncluttered look in my garage. I used Premier Garage for a GREAT LOOKING and indestructible flooring with wall mounted cabinets. Wood shutters that match the cabinets and some nice paintings and/or framed art completes the decor.

Chip

Wow, how did you get your wife to agree to all that car art in your living room (Cobra, GT40 etc.)? :lol2:

that is the sweetest garage i have ever seen hands down i dont even care if i had a house i would sleep with the cars. anywhere else the cars would thinki i was cheatn on them. The only thing you are missing is a set of quads and snowmobiles

Archived