TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Mustang transmission from Tremec

tedj

Just read about a new improved transmission from Tremec that will be available for sale this summer.

It is direct-shift without the remote linkage we have now. It is also designed for a one piece drive shaft.

Could this be the fix for shifting problems?

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1102_ford_2011_mustang_transmission_swap/index.html

Just read about a new improved transmission from Tremec that will be available for sale this summer.

It is direct-shift without the remote linkage we have now. It is also designed for a one piece drive shaft.

Could this be the fix for shifting problems?

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1102_ford_2011_mustang_transmission_swap/index.html

Ford Motor Company is going to have to pick up the tab on my stock GT500. I am NOT going to spend my hard earned money fixing THERE problem! And the new tranny won't be cheap! That would put me over the $60,000 mark. Recall it or it will eventually disintegrate. Regards, denohew

The article talks mostly about upgrading the 5.0 tranny. This quote, "The T56 Magnum is essentially an aftermarket version of the TR-6060, which was first introduced in the Shelby GT500," says it all. Sounds like they are basically putting the GT500 tranny in the other mustangs, Boss not included (already has the TR-6060). The big question is, did the aftermarket fix the 2nd gear issue that some of us have and who will foot the bill?

The article talks mostly about upgrading the 5.0 tranny. This quote, "The T56 Magnum is essentially an aftermarket version of the TR-6060, which was first introduced in the Shelby GT500," says it all. Sounds like they are basically putting the GT500 tranny in the other mustangs, Boss not included (already has the TR-6060). The big question is, did the aftermarket fix the 2nd gear issue that some of us have and who will foot the bill?

Yes the article is about a 5.0 upgrade, but it also states there will be a kit for 2005+. So it should fit in 05-10 cars without a lot of heartache. It also mentions internal upgrades and a choice of gear ratios. I think the lengthened tail with direct shifting might help the 1st to 2nd shifting problems if it is indeed a shifter problem like many suggest.

As for who pays for it, well I doubt Ford would be willing to do that. But maybe it's cheaper than buying the GT500s back under the lemon laws.

This whole thing is a mess.

If you like your GT500 and don't want to do the buy-back or wait for Ford, have Gforce go in there and replace your synchro's with carbon-lined units and replace any already damaged items. Should fix the problem so you can enjoy the car.

This whole thing is a mess.

If you like your GT500 and don't want to do the buy-back or wait for Ford, have Gforce go in there and replace your synchro's with carbon-lined units and replace any already damaged items. Should fix the problem so you can enjoy the car.

A local well known tremec shop in Michigan (Liberty Gears) and D&D both quoted me $250 labor and $85ea for the carbon blockers.

A local well known tremec shop in Michigan (Liberty Gears) and D&D both quoted me $250 labor and $85ea for the carbon blockers.

Well there you have it. Put 'em in if you have a problem, and don't tell Ford. From what it sounds like to me, they can't do anything right. I doubt they would ever notice if they had to do warranty work. Don't post about it here, though, apparently all Ford does is watch the forum to see who races/does what so they can void warranties, :banghead:

A few of you commented about just paying to have the tranny modified or fixed, I thought I did that when I put 50K into it from the dealer... WHY do I have to fix this?

Because probably Ford won't, so either sell the car, figure out a way to get Ford to fix it, or do it yourself. This was one of the main reasons I didn't buy a Ford.

Because probably Ford won't, so either sell the car, figure out a way to get Ford to fix it, or do it yourself. This was one of the main reasons I didn't buy a Ford.

There was a time when I was on your side for your choices. I don't like your response, it's counterproductive and maybe you should reconsider why you still comment on this forum.

JWG223,

I don't have a shift problem with my 2011 SVTPP, and I didn't have a shift problem with my 2010 GT500 coupe either. I know I'm not alone and yet your posts make it seem that every 2010/11 Shelby has this transmission shifting problem. They don't, yet you drone on and on about it. Get a life, go to a Corvette forum and pound your chest there. They'll buy what your selling.

One reality you and those fan boys can't ignore is that you own a Government Motors bailout vehicle, compliments of unwilling taxpayers.

There was a time when I was on your side for your choices. I don't like your response, it's counterproductive and maybe you should reconsider why you still comment on this forum.

I'm sorry you don't like it. Neither did another poster. He got Ford to buy the car back. Ford has openly stated (if our members are to be believed) that the grinding is normal, and that they will not fix it. Yes, this did influence me not to buy a Ford, as I have never read of one case where GM did not replace a transmission (A few had issues when the TR6060 first came out).

My response is not counter productive, it is informative. Members of this board have had their cars torn apart for WEEKS sitting at dealerships. Members have had Ford deny that the problem is real. I simply told the OP what needs to be done to get things fixed. Now. If it's ugly, that's only because an ugly problem being handled in an ugly way warrants ugly decisions. Apparently, you have thought about this as well, based on your post here implying that others might well dump the car because it's such a hassel to deal with the 1-2 shift problem, so don't get mad at me for just putting it out there in a forthright manner.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64478-used-2011-gt500-shelby-market-prices-question/page__view__findpost__p__1100781

Sorry to hear that. I should have clarified my response a bit more.

I would take a hard look at the tires, are they the stock tires or after market? Yes I know the F1's suck but, why buy tires just to turn around and sell. May it is a dump scenario, could be that dreaded 1-2 shift and the previous owner didn't want to deal with it. The reasons could be totaly innocent as ChrisSD has stated. Take it for a serious drive, the car can handle it if there is nothing wrong with it. Better yet, know anybody that has a current GT500? That person might be able to tell right quick from looking at it to see if certian bolts have been turned, showing possible after market parts, or a quick test drive to check if everything feels right.

Hey, this is just my advice, do what you want with it.

JWG223,

I don't have a shift problem with my 2011 SVTPP, and I didn't have a shift problem with my 2010 GT500 coupe either. I know I'm not alone and yet your posts make it seem that every 2010/11 Shelby has this transmission shifting problem. They don't, yet you drone on and on about it. Get a life, go to a Corvette forum and pound your chest there. They'll buy what your selling.

One reality you and those fan boys can't ignore is that you own a Government Motors bailout vehicle, compliments of unwilling taxpayers.

No, not all of the GT500's have the issue, you are quite right, but enough of them do that a new thread seems to pop up here every week about it, and BDrool even considers that used Shelby's should be investigated for this problem before buying. That's a bit too prevalent for my taste. This forum also has a successful lawsuit detailed about it which resulted in a vehicle buy-back.

As to the bail-out, lets go back in time a wee-bit, shall we?

http://asavagefactory.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/ford-got-the-largest-government-bailout-in-history/

In summary, think whatever makes you feel better about picking a Ford over a GM, and by all means, don't let the facts stop you. Ford needed a hand-out because they built a product found to be responsible for killing people by the hundreds.

Ironically, this component was....a bad transmission, or rather, 23 million bad transmissions.

So before you go knocking GM for receiving tax payer's money because they managed their assets poorly, think of the families of those 1600 injured and/or dead people, and how Ford petitioned the president to change regulations to allow them to stay in business without filing bankruptcy, shirking their responsibility to their customers, instead of recalling the affected 23 million vehicles. A proud tradition that apparently continues to this day in the form of their treatment of their GT500 customers as many of our other members have discovered to their dismay, outlined in several threads, this being one of the most disturbing, in which you can see several members who did what I advised the OP to do: get rid of the car, or have someone who knows what they are doing fix the transmission.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61863-lemon-law-claim-coming-over-fords-refusal-to-address-1-2-grind-problem/

I still post here because even though I chose not to buy the GT500, I still love the car, and if all the kinks get worked out, I think it iis an AWESOME car! I cannot wait to see what the car will evolve into when Ford goes back to an IRS platform. I don't, however, feel any guilt about buying a GM product any more than you feel the blood of those 200 lives on your hands for buying a Ford product. I didn't vote for the automotive bail-out, and I didn't choose to do it. You didn't kill any of those 200 people. We both bought what we wanted to buy and that's that. :shift:

Unreal, so what you are saying is that chevy does not ever break or have problems. You must think ever person on this forum was born yesterday. I have a 2010 GT500 and do not have a grind problem. I have several friends with chevys and some have had no problems and some have sold their chevy because it gave them nothing but trouble. You will get good and bad in all car makes, but if you think chevy is better, then by all means buy one and quit whinning on this site.

Well there you have it. Put 'em in if you have a problem, and don't tell Ford. From what it sounds like to me, they can't do anything right. I doubt they would ever notice if they had to do warranty work. Don't post about it here, though, apparently all Ford does is watch the forum to see who races/does what so they can void warranties, :banghead:

+1

Unreal, so what you are saying is that chevy does not ever break or have problems. You must think ever person on this forum was born yesterday. I have a 2010 GT500 and do not have a grind problem. I have several friends with chevys and some have had no problems and some have sold their chevy because it gave them nothing but trouble. You will get good and bad in all car makes, but if you think chevy is better, then by all means buy one and quit whinning on this site.

Chevy is better, according to their PPH numbers. The 'vette is the lowest in the industry except for Porsche.

They still have problems, though, an if you read my above post, I stated that the difference is how they DEAL with the problems. I said "I have never read of one case where GM did not replace a transmission (A few had issues when the TR6060 first came out)."

When the new Camaro's were snapping the shafts, GM handled up on the problem and it's not an issue anymore and noone I am aware of was left out in the cold unless they were modded.

When the GT500's (stock) were grinding 2nd in 2010. Well, they still are.

I don't think any company is perfect, or any product, but right now Ford has their head in the sand while GM is working very hard to take care of their customers, comparatively.

My local dealership replaced a Z06 transmission a while back because the owner complained that it was tough to shift. No grind. He just said "I can feel it going into gear". They didn't work on it, they just dropped it out and put a new one in. Ford, on the other hand, if members here are to be believed, would have torn the trans apart and it would have taken quite a while from what I understand to "get parts allocated" and whatnot.

All of this is headed toward the point I was ORIGINALLY trying to make.

OP can either wait a while and hope Ford fixes it (Ford says it's normal, by the way), or OP can handle up on this themselves and get it done by Liberty or Gforce or someone else who knows their way around a Tremec.

BPmurr can attest to my allegation that Ford has used this very forum to corrraborate the decision to void warranties before.

Oh, as to the topic of this thread, the T56 magnum has been around a long time. The article is just about dropping one into a mustang GT t replace the Getrag because it can handle more torque. Yeah, if you drop a replacement TR6060 into a GT500, that would cure the problem if it was built using the correct parts.

Chevy is better, according to their PPH numbers. The 'vette is the lowest in the industry except for Porsche.

They still have problems, though, an if you read my above post, I stated that the difference is how they DEAL with the problems. I said "I have never read of one case where GM did not replace a transmission (A few had issues when the TR6060 first came out)."

When the new Camaro's were snapping the shafts, GM handled up on the problem and it's not an issue anymore and noone I am aware of was left out in the cold unless they were modded.

When the GT500's (stock) were grinding 2nd in 2010. Well, they still are.

I don't think any company is perfect, or any product, but right now Ford has their head in the sand while GM is working very hard to take care of their customers, comparatively.

My local dealership replaced a Z06 transmission a while back because the owner complained that it was tough to shift. No grind. He just said "I can feel it going into gear". They didn't work on it, they just dropped it out and put a new one in. Ford, on the other hand, if members here are to be believed, would have torn the trans apart and it would have taken quite a while from what I understand to "get parts allocated" and whatnot.

All of this is headed toward the point I was ORIGINALLY trying to make.

OP can either wait a while and hope Ford fixes it (Ford says it's normal, by the way), or OP can handle up on this themselves and get it done by Liberty or Gforce or someone else who knows their way around a Tremec.

BPmurr can attest to my allegation that Ford has used this very forum to corrraborate the decision to void warranties before.

Oh, as to the topic of this thread, the T56 magnum has been around a long time. The article is just about dropping one into a mustang GT t replace the Getrag because it can handle more torque. Yeah, if you drop a replacement TR6060 into a GT500, that would cure the problem if it was built using the correct parts.

Chevy being better is a matter of each persons opinion and you are a chevy guy, so you are going to say chevy is better as I am going to say ford is better which is why I bought a ford and not a gov motors auto. As to op not all cars are having this problem and it may be that we all do, but I have a friend who has gone thru 3 new vettes and never got any satisfaction from GM which is why he now owns a ford and I have another friend who has got a 2010 vette and has had no problems and it is truely a good car, but I am not on the vette forums bashing them and if chevy was so good they would not have needed a bail out. All cars are overpriced to include the GT500, but it is no where near the overpricing of the vette, but to each his own. Most posters on this sight do not whine on GM forums as they are tired of your whinning.

I can tell you that the Vette especially the 2005 C6 had all sorts of flaws, issues, mechanical and electrical. I owned one and sold it for my 2008 Shelby GT that has experienced zero issues even with the Whipple 550hp kit on it. I had my GT500 transmission corrected like Vapor did from Ford with no hassle and no issue with it either. If you take your car in and it has a SC on it that did not come that way such as my Shelby GT, I /you should not expect much from the manufacturer because you chose to modify it. If you race it and it's openly know expect the same. I gurantee every car manufacturer is the same. To each his/her own and I don't bash car makes, but Chevy is not golden boy on any car especially the Vette. Maybe swept under the rug a bit. Just visit the Corvette Forum and look at the 2005 Vette and all the hundreds of post there on issues.

Chevy being better is a matter of each persons opinion and you are a chevy guy, so you are going to say chevy is better as I am going to say ford is better which is why I bought a ford and not a gov motors auto. As to op not all cars are having this problem and it may be that we all do, but I have a friend who has gone thru 3 new vettes and never got any satisfaction from GM which is why he now owns a ford and I have another friend who has got a 2010 vette and has had no problems and it is truely a good car, but I am not on the vette forums bashing them and if chevy was so good they would not have needed a bail out. All cars are overpriced to include the GT500, but it is no where near the overpricing of the vette, but to each his own. Most posters on this sight do not whine on GM forums as they are tired of your whinning.

Ford is the one that needed a bail-out for their transmissions, not GM. Both companies took major bail-outs. GM when they mucked up management here in recent times, Ford when they got Regan to soften up govt. regulations so they wouldn't have to be responsible for fixing the defective C4's that were killing people, but rather mail-out a sticker to put on the car saying that the transmission had issues and how to avoid those issues.

Most things made by unions ARE over-priced. I agree 100% with you on that. In defense of the 'vette, though, they sell for 10-15% below sticker as a normal purchase point.

I am not bashing the GT500. The OP has a problem and wants it solved. I am bashing on Ford a bit because I don't think how they are treating customers is right.

I also think that satisfaction attained is VERY heavily dependant upon the dealership. If you read some of the stuff on the 'vette forums, GM has a problem with their dealerships. Bigtime. I am just impressed with how GM handles things at a corperate level vs. Ford. GM treats you bad at the dealer, and then corp. gets involved and things straighten out. With Ford, it seems to be the opposite, based on what I have read here and personal experiences of my Ford owning friends.

I also agree that a 'vette owner is going to say a 'vette is better, and a mustang owner the mustang. The PPH numbers say the 'vette is better, but not by much at all. I belive it is 71 vs 77, and I can't find GT500 PPH #'s. So the GT500 line might actually be better. Both cars are excellent examples of how the American auto industry has evolved, though.

500+horsepower and a half-decade of warranty is insane when you think about it.

I can tell you that the Vette especially the 2005 C6 had all sorts of flaws, issues, mechanical and electrical. I owned one and sold it for my 2008 Shelby GT that has experienced zero issues even with the Whipple 550hp kit on it. I had my GT500 transmission corrected like Vapor did from Ford with no hassle and no issue with it either. If you take your car in and it has a SC on it that did not come that way such as my Shelby GT, I /you should not expect much from the manufacturer because you chose to modify it. If you race it and it's openly know expect the same. I gurantee every car manufacturer is the same. To each his/her own and I don't bash car makes, but Chevy is not golden boy on any car especially the Vette. Maybe swept under the rug a bit. Just visit the Corvette Forum and look at the 2005 Vette and all the hundreds of post there on issues.

The 2005 C6 was a "trial run" imho. All of GM's "first-year" cars are, which is why the C7 holds NO interest for me until at least the 3rd production year. GM is bad about that. They use the first YM as a trouble-shooting mule it seems. THey do fix them, though, except the roof fix took WAY! too long and is egg in the face considering the Japanese govt. was the one that forced them to fix it if they were to continue export to Japan of that model.

If anyone defends the 2005 C6, I agree with you, it's a total fanboy move.

That is one thing I do like about Ford. It seems that they try very hard to "get it right" the first year the car comes out. When they don't, though, it seems like that problem remains for a good bit. "Shifting" has always been a GT500 problem, for example. I am amazed at the new mustang GT, though. I think that is the biggest home-run ever at its price-point. Major bargain.

JWG223 you've made your point...now go enjoy your " perfect" corvette and move along. I hope that bashing Ford gives you some justification in your purchase and makes you feel better.

I always find it amusing how many "flawed" people expect perfection from a relatively cheap mass produced car. I enjoy my car for what it is, flaws and all. If a guy buys a car and is disappointed with it, you have two choices 1) fix the problem or problems, 2) sell the car and move on and find a car that may better suit your ideals. Simple!!

People that are dissatisfied by their cars are usually also dissatisfied in other areas of their life. At least that's what I've noticed.

It's funny how it's usually the same handful of guys that have problems and post repeatedly about them that have trumped up the whole transmission and warranty issue when thousands of other owners like myself have no problems.

Some people would be shocked at how far a smile and a box of donuts will get you when trying to deal with a service problem, instead of a bitchy attitude.

JWG223 you've made your point...now go enjoy your " perfect" corvette and move along. I hope that bashing Ford gives you some justification in your purchase and makes you feel better.

I always find it amusing how many "flawed" people expect perfection from a relatively cheap mass produced car. I enjoy my car for what it is, flaws and all. If a guy buys a car and is disappointed with it, you have two choices 1) fix the problem or problems, 2) sell the car and move on and find a car that may better suit your ideals. Simple!!

People that are dissatisfied by their cars are usually also dissatisfied in other areas of their life. At least that's what I've noticed.

It's funny how it's usually the same handful of guys that have problems and post repeatedly about them that have trumped up the whole transmission and warranty issue when thousands of other owners like myself have no problems.

Some people would be shocked at how far a smile and a box of donuts will get you when trying to deal with a service problem, instead of a bitchy attitude.

Cdvision,

Well said!

As respects a box of donuts, when I take my Shelby in for routine servicing, I ask the Service Manager what type of pizza he and the SVT techs would like for lunch. I find that a double pepperoni and another sausage & salami pie delivered by Round Table works great (both figuratively and literally) for "greasing the wheels" at the dealership. Always get my GT500 back on time and completely detailed.

I always find it amusing how many "flawed" people expect perfection from a relatively cheap mass produced car. I enjoy my car for what it is, flaws and all. If a guy buys a car and is disappointed with it, you have two choices 1) fix the problem or problems, 2) sell the car and move on and find a car that may better suit your ideals. Simple!!People that are dissatisfied by their cars are usually also dissatisfied in other areas of their life. At least that's what I've noticed.

Which is EXACTLY what I told the OP to do, and then cited MULTIPLE cases on this board where Ford did NOT fix the problem.

I then said, in not-so many words, that that wasn't cool and it sucked.

I have read your posts, and you appear to be an apologist. Saying stuff like "Just call it the battle-cry of the GT500" (referring to 2nd gear grinding) in threads about the problem underscore this point.

-or-

Maybe you're just a super-positive guy and nothing gets you down and you aren't an apologist, but just--super happy. I am not sure about that, though, as you keep taking shots at the 'vette in retaliation even though I have said they have problems, too.

Anyway, if the uber-joy IS the case, I am impressed. Bottle it up and sell it in a book and you can have a new GT500 every year, one in each color.

Cdvision,

Well said!

As respects a box of donuts, when I take my Shelby in for routine servicing, I ask the Service Manager what type of pizza he and the SVT techs would like for lunch. I find that a double pepperoni and another sausage & salami pie delivered by Round Table works great (both figuratively and literally) for "greasing the wheels" at the dealership. Always get my GT500 back on time and completely detailed.

Yep, this is DEFINITELY the way to go, and I think that some of the service-issues people have could have been avoided if they did this.

What does Pizza cost you for a few people? Probably an insignificant sum compared to the insurance of a job done well and some good-will.

I gave my sales-rep at GM a flashlight for his hunting. He loves it. Yeah, it cost me $120, but it is the most awesome light he will ever own/see and his friends love it and he has gotten a ton of use out of it and annoyed his wife shining it around the neighborhood at 11pm for grins, lol.

I also got a no-haggle price.

Everything works best with a little grease--or glaze. My above story is just one of many.

Which is EXACTLY what I told the OP to do, and then cited MULTIPLE cases on this board where Ford did NOT fix the problem.

I then said, in not-so many words, that that wasn't cool and it sucked.

I have read your posts, and you appear to be an apologist. Saying stuff like "Just call it the battle-cry of the GT500" (referring to 2nd gear grinding) in threads about the problem underscore this point.

-or-

Maybe you're just a super-positive guy and nothing gets you down and you aren't an apologist, but just--super happy. I am not sure about that, though, as you keep taking shots at the 'vette in retaliation even though I have said they have problems, too.

Anyway, if the uber-joy IS the case, I am impressed. Bottle it up and sell it in a book and you can have a new GT500 every year, one in each color.

I seem to recall in my "past posts" that I was positive toward you and your decision to purchase a Corvette. Yet you feel the need to come on a GT500 enthusiast forum and continue to bash Ford and forum members when you no longer own a GT500. That by definition is a TROLL. I'm sure you'll have some long winded a-hole response. But I'm done with you, have a nice day trolling in Mustang forums.

I seem to recall in my "past posts" that I was positive toward you and your decision to purchase a Corvette. Yet you feel the need to come on a GT500 enthusiast forum and continue to bash Ford and forum members when you no longer own a GT500. That by definition is a TROLL. I'm sure you'll have some long winded a-hole response. But I'm done with you, have a nice day trolling in Mustang forums.

So, basically, it's the fact that I chose NOT to spend my money on one. I don't see you being offended by your GT500 owning friends who +1'ed my assessment of the situation ( http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64395-new-mustang-transmission-from-tremec/page__view__findpost__p__1101736

). You apparently thought I had a GT500 so we were cool, now that you find out I never had one and was just thinking about buying one and decided against it, we aren't, because I voiced my opinion about how Ford is not taking care of their customers and the car has a few issues that should be fixed.

Sorry you have a problem with 'vette owners. Mustang owners are still ok with me, though. :shift:

Just because I chose not to own one, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the car or be irked at Ford for not standing behind it.

Archived