TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GOT THE CALL!

SoCalSGT

MEA CULPA! Been running around like crazy and finally can take a breath. We took a little longer to get home and - well, you know.

Anyway...yep, got her and she's beautiful. Had a chance to test the handling and acceleration on the way home (open desert - nice freeway) and trust me when I tell you the N/A motor is very strong.

Now here's the kicker that most of you don't know: This is the first ordered and built Automatic N/A. But it comes with a 3.73 rear end. And let me tell you that when you decide to get into it, stand by...it's zero to forever instantly. It's just one continuous blast of power. I wish I would have had SAI Dyno it before I picked it up but I screwed up and was just so excited to get it I forgot. Here's a couple of pics that I took quickly while there...unfortunately we left the museum delivery photos there and they're being mailed by SAI. I'll post a better recap when I get those. Oh...and yep, the left tail pipe was dipping when we got home...still an issue.

John

Congrats on the car. Like the look without the side window block-off plates. Enjoy.

Thanks, everyone.

I have to admit that at first I was apprehensive about putting an automatic in a car with the specs and bloodline of the GT350. But having had one in the SGT and thoroughly enjoying it (and as Dan alluded to, living in So Cal with the sucko traffic), thought what the heck, let's go for it. I couldn't be happier.

This car has several personalities. A great sounding, mild mannered, put it in drive and just cruise around; put it in 3rd and lock it into a sporty acceleration mode; or just manually shift it all the way from first and decide when to go through the gear changes. This is a marked difference from the SGT and I'm guessing it has to do with the rear end. Granted, you can just step on it in D and hang on, because it's gone. I've just not seen the difference between easy acceleration and hard acceleration in drive as I do in this car. Amazing.

Tony: Any time, any time!

Warren: Thanks for the tip

S. Cal: Hope to see you all soon now that we have something to drive again!

John

Congratulations to you John, I'm very happy to see that your wait is over. Excellent choice on going NA, because you now have the option of installing the Boss 302 intake manifold when they become available from FRPP, and if you do, you can have the attributes of both cars in your 350. It sure would make an excellent car for track days IMO.

John, my fix was to tack weld the fitting above the rear axle, and then really had to add an extra support brace welded to the rear hangar at the 90 degree at the very rear. It did solve the problem even after some serious track time. The hangar will bend from the wieght of the exhaust going a straight 90 from the rear of the car towards the center where it comes out. Its an easy fix though.

Congrats and have fun with your new 350!!!happy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gif Our club is getting bigger by the day!

So...is SA aware of this quality issue? If so...are they going ot correct for all of those cars that are currently in production?

Not that excited about spending close to 90k and then have to break out a welder to fix myself. Especially sine I dont know how to weld or have a welder.

So...is SA aware of this quality issue? If so...are they going ot correct for all of those cars that are currently in production?

Not that excited about spending close to 90k and then have to break out a welder to fix myself. Especially sine I dont know how to weld or have a welder.

Well, I don't know about the cars in production, but Steve said he was going to talk to the production manager about my pipe issue and get back to me. I haven't heard anything yet and since Warren had to fix his himself I'm guessing that it's going to be issue that's just there with the car. Live with it, or fix it yourself. I'll wait 'til after the weekend and see what I hear from SAI before I do anything.

This may be one of those things that people check for in future years when verifying if it's a true Shelby or not!!!

John

Well, I don't know about the cars in production, but Steve said he was going to talk to the production manager about my pipe issue and get back to me. I haven't heard anything yet and since Warren had to fix his himself I'm guessing that it's going to be issue that's just there with the car. Live with it, or fix it yourself. I'll wait 'til after the weekend and see what I hear from SAI before I do anything.

This may be one of those things that people check for in future years when verifying if it's a true Shelby or not!!!

John

Your probably correct but if they know of the pipe issue why not tack weld it prior to leaving SA.? I’m sure that sounds easy but it’s not a major problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived