TEAM SHELBY FORUM

15% ethanol

Torched10

Governement yesterday approved moving from 10% to 15% blend,despite auto industry and others conecrn on effect it will have on our cars.Its not approved for older cars yet,so there will be someretailers who will still have the 10% blend--so watch out at the pumps --however, there studying impact itll have on older cars and if they say its a go, then all well have is 15% gas

Where's the 'Tea Party' on ending ethanol subsidies?

No where.

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-gaggle/2010/12/01/tea-party-not-lobbying-for-end-of-ethanol-subsidies.html

So, I take it you've written letters to your Senators & Congressmen to drill here and now so we dont need ethonal? Just saying.....................

Mine doesn't like E-10 I can imagine E-15.

I talked to a guy filling the tanks at Shell. He seemed to know his stuff. He said to make E-10 87 they blend ethanol with 84 octane, as Ethanol has an octane of 113. To make 91, they blend it with 89. My concern is that it's not an exact science, so really you don't know what you're getting a long as they exceed the minimum octane.

Mine doesn't like E-10 I can imagine E-15.

I talked to a guy filling the tanks at Shell. He seemed to know his stuff. He said to make E-10 87 they blend ethanol with 84 octane, as Ethanol has an octane of 113. To make 91, they blend it with 89. My concern is that it's not an exact science, so really you don't know what you're getting a long as they exceed the minimum octane.

I have a 2010 500. When you say yours doesnt like E 10, what does it do or not do? I have had to use Shells 91 with 10% on a long trip but my foot wasnt in it.

According to several auto magazines, E-15 is currently not recommended or approved for vehicles older than 2007 and the mechanics at my local Ford dealer have said that E-15 will have significant negative impact not only on those older(2007?!) vehicles but will aslo impact the performance of newer models. For now I have been advised by some good mechanics to avoid the E-15 if at all possible. Definitely not enough thought has been put into this change.

I just checked my 2010 GT500. On the inside of the fuel filler door, one sticker states 91+ Octane. Another sticker says "No E85" ( "E85" in a red circle with a diagonal line through it.) Also, my owners manual states premium fuel only, 93 octane recommended. To be safe, I always buy 93 octane fuel - often with 10% ethanol. I haven't had any problems with that mix.

I just checked my 2010 GT500. On the inside of the fuel filler door, one sticker states 91+ Octane. Another sticker says "No E85" ( "E85" in a red circle with a diagonal line through it.) Also, my owners manual states premium fuel only, 93 octane recommended. To be safe, I always buy 93 octane fuel - often with 10% ethanol. I haven't had any problems with that mix.

There's a big difference between E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline and E15 at 15% ethanol AND 85% gasoline. This link is a bit dated since the EPA/ corn growers lobby has approved the 15%.

See link

http://green.autoblo...uld-damage-eng/

There's a big difference between E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline and E15 at 15% ethanol AND 85% gasoline. This link is a bit dated since the EPA/ corn growers lobby has approved the 15%.

See link

http://green.autoblo...uld-damage-eng/

There are a large amount of Ford & GM SUVs& pickups that have been Flex Fuel for roughly 4 years now. Ford Taurus's, a lot longer than that. This is to say that they are made to run on 100% gasoline or up to 85% alcohol (Ethonal) which is your E 85. I dont think we are at the point that you can run more than a 10% alcohal ( ethonal} mix yet on performance vehicles.

You're lucky you can get 93. Most of us are stuck with 91.

Yea, I'm one of the lucky ones with 93 still available too. Think it's that way at least half way up the east coast. Know there is a major pipeline that stops in my area, then another that stops in the DelMarVa area too.

Governement yesterday approved moving from 10% to 15% blend,despite auto industry and others conecrn on effect it will have on our cars.Its not approved for older cars yet,so there will be someretailers who will still have the 10% blend--so watch out at the pumps --however, there studying impact itll have on older cars and if they say its a go, then all well have is 15% gas

heres a link to a site that purports to list gas stations that sell ethanol free gas--i live in Dunwoody ga,and it was correct for me http://pure-gas.org/

So, I take it you've written letters to your Senators & Congressmen to drill here and now so we dont need ethonal? Just saying.....................

We don't need ethanol. Both my Senators and my Rep voted against the increase, but fly-over America will not be denied.

And they are already drilling 'here' and now.

DSC00065.jpg

We don't need ethanol. Both my Senators and my Rep voted against the increase, but fly-over America will not be denied.

And they are already drilling 'here' and now.

DSC00065.jpg

Yeah, your right! Who needs Ethonal! Who needs fly-over country! Im sick and tired of eating the steak and chicken they raise there too! Nobody needs there soybeans, oats, and sugar beets either! Darn fly over country people!

Yeah, your right! Who needs Ethonal! Who needs fly-over country! Im sick and tired of eating the steak and chicken they raise there too! Nobody needs there soybeans, oats, and sugar beets either! Darn fly over country people!

Can they do it without billions in subsidies from donor states via Washington DC and laws requiring use of their product?

not sure how many are still runnin carb cars. but the 10% jacked my tune bad. im still trying to get her to run right.

screw it im going to an e85 kit on the shelby :banghead:

on a real note there is a guy running an e85 kit on his 04 cobra. pushing about 650hp. drinks it pretty fast but runs great. might end up being an option if the keep pushing this crap

not sure how many are still runnin carb cars. but the 10% jacked my tune bad. im still trying to get her to run right.

screw it im going to an e85 kit on the shelby :banghead:

on a real note there is a guy running an e85 kit on his 04 cobra. pushing about 650hp. drinks it pretty fast but runs great. might end up being an option if the keep pushing this crap

my 65 GTO has a tri-carb set up and so far the 10% hasnt affected perfromance---i also know that the highly oxygenated gas wtih ethanol isnt good for the wear of alot of the parts,like rubber fuel hoses,gas tank etc--so i onl drive 500 mils a year in it, and will now look for gas stations that have ethanol free gas

Yea all the Mexicans ( that live in Mexico ) are pissed that the corn tortillas have tripled in price! I am not a racist! My best friend is Hispanic. I am an oil and gas producer and they need corn down there and there is plenty of oil yet to be found in the good 'ol USA. The new administration is totally mis-informed about the economics of Ethanol! It costs way more to refine unless oil gets past $100 a barrel and I hope it doesn't! When it does it just stirs up our new administration! Regards, denohew

my 65 GTO has a tri-carb set up and so far the 10% hasnt affected perfromance---i also know that the highly oxygenated gas wtih ethanol isnt good for the wear of alot of the parts,like rubber fuel hoses,gas tank etc--so i onl drive 500 mils a year in it, and will now look for gas stations that have ethanol free gas

UPdate--there are 2 ethanol free stations near me and i decided to do a mpg test--cant drive my Shelby right now since there are tons of salt on out roads,so decided to use my 469HP STS V,with the SC Northstar in it.It usually gets 13mpg--after an ethanol free fill up, i got 15mpg in local driving--so ill be using ethanol free in all my cars from now on---good news

I only use ethanol free fuel if I can help it. Even in my daily beater. E10 is like buying beer that someone pissed in.

Agree--with the incrsed MPG, its like cutting costs of fuel by 10%--Im lucky having 93 gas,and im looking foward to feeling the extra power when i can drive again, when all the salt leaves our roads

Agree--with the incrsed MPG, its like cutting costs of fuel by 10%--Im lucky having 93 gas,and im looking foward to feeling the extra power when i can drive again, when all the salt leaves our roads

Does it really matter? I mean, are you modded, or does the stock ECU actually detect detonation and pull timing on the GT500 with 91 octane?

I just hate paying for something I didn't get.

I am suprised some of you GT500 guys have not converted to E85 and cranked the boost. It would allow you to go much further without meth injection.

Does it really matter? I mean, are you modded, or does the stock ECU actually detect detonation and pull timing on the GT500 with 91 octane?

I just hate paying for something I didn't get.

I am suprised some of you GT500 guys have not converted to E85 and cranked the boost. It would allow you to go much further without meth injection.

yeah it matters--im stock and im now saving 10% on my gas,on all my cars---

• 3 weeks later...

E-piss 15% fuel is going to tear up lots of older fuel systems and line the pockets of the fuel suppliers with $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yep, I remember in 2004 I filled my (then 5% ethonal compatible) Jag with 10% ethanol gas while cruzing across the country. 100 miles later some pipe that went from the fuel pump to the fuel accumulator had "melted" and, viola, I was stuck in Nebraska for 5 days until they could replace all the damaged fuel components.

I felt like a complete numpty. :doh:

Megs

Yea all the Mexicans ( that live in Mexico ) are pissed that the corn tortillas have tripled in price! I am not a racist! My best friend is Hispanic. I am an oil and gas producer and they need corn down there and there is plenty of oil yet to be found in the good 'ol USA. The new administration is totally mis-informed about the economics of Ethanol! It costs way more to refine unless oil gets past $100 a barrel and I hope it doesn't! When it does it just stirs up our new administration! Regards, denohew

LOL......you're too logical....something many DC politicians are lacking in. It's all about paying off lobbyists & constintuents (environmental lobby is especially influential) that keep them in power. It almost doesn't matter who's in control.

Archived