TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3m Hood/Nose protection- any good?

SHELBY1962X

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-MUSTANG-GT-500-2008-2009-3M-CLEAR-BRA-PROTECTION-/400035938848?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d24000220

I saw this listing on Ebay and was wondering if this stuff is any good? My Cobra bumper was terrible with stone chips and I don't want my Shelby looking the same way. If anyone has tried it i was wondering how well it blends in when installed and how hard is it to put on...Thanks

Please keep in mind that this is MHO...

I am from Phx Az originally, and have had most all of my cars and car experience there. 3M car bra, as it`s referred to, is ìn theory`great. However, it shows wax lines, it yellows, (I don`t care what anyone says...it yellows!) The quote unquote `new`material from them, the upgraded stuff from a few years back, still yellows. It looks cheezy, IMHO. I would rather use a toothpick and touch up paint, on the odd chip that occurs, than have to live with the silly look of the stuff! :salute:

NOTE: I do have it on my very expensive BMW 135i headlamps for protection, but it is un-noticeable on headlamps.

Before you spend the dough, go to some car shows, or just go down to your local BMW or Mercedes dealer and look at used high-end cars that people use it on traditionally. It looks cheezy!

BIKEBOY

Please keep in mind that this is MHO...

I am from Phx Az originally, and have had most all of my cars and car experience there. 3M car bra, as it`s referred to, is ìn theory`great. However, it shows wax lines, it yellows, (I don`t care what anyone says...it yellows!) The quote unquote `new`material from them, the upgraded stuff from a few years back, still yellows. It looks cheezy, IMHO. I would rather use a toothpick and touch up paint, on the odd chip that occurs, than have to live with the silly look of the stuff! :salute:

NOTE: I do have it on my very expensive BMW 135i headlamps for protection, but it is un-noticeable on headlamps.

Before you spend the dough, go to some car shows, or just go down to your local BMW or Mercedes dealer and look at used high-end cars that people use it on traditionally. It looks cheezy!

BIKEBOY

I agree with your assessment. Seriously considered the clear bra on my black GT500, but after seeing it on some higher end black cars it's just too noticeable. Maybe on a lighter color it wouldn't stand out as much?

My plan is traditional bra for longer road trips and spend the money for a professional paint detail every few years. Tried the Lanka stuff on my previous Redfire metallic, but it was too hard to use with a metallic paint. Might work far better on a flat color though.

I have had it on my 07 Daily driver. It gets driven 25 miles every 3 days on the interstate and parked in the garage the other 2 days. I occasionally tailgate a slow car in the left lane to get them to move over cause I own the left lane. For the way this car is driven it was esential that I put this on. Didn't do the headlights- but should have. Too late now. My car is red and it has a slight discoloration (hardly noticable) over the white stripes. Clean the seam with a soft tooth brush after waxing.

Do I like it? NO, Can you see it ? YES.

But it is the lessor of two evels. My 05 GTO was really binged and chiped up after 1 year of driving the interstate. I put this on My GT 500 when it had 300 miles.

I will retire soon and not drive it this way and this much, (haven't decided exactly when) After I leave I will take it off.

It does have a guarentee. Before the 5 year mark I may have to see if it qualifies for replacement if I still want it.

Forgot to tell you, it's not easy to install. Takes a lot of patients and time.

I too have been debating doing the clear bra on my Shelby as I don't want any rock chips. However, recently I found that they do make a black bra for these cars and looking into that as well. My main concern is how easy it is to remove and put back on as I would be using it to drive to and from car shows where I would take it off once I got to my destination. I also am curious as to how the fit is? I haven't been able to find anyone who has used one of these on their car yet.

I too have been debating doing the clear bra on my Shelby as I don't want any rock chips. However, recently I found that they do make a black bra for these cars and looking into that as well. My main concern is how easy it is to remove and put back on as I would be using it to drive to and from car shows where I would take it off once I got to my destination. I also am curious as to how the fit is? I haven't been able to find anyone who has used one of these on their car yet.

At the risk of sounding like Debbie Downer here, I must tell you: STAY AWAY from car bras!

Run Forest, Run!!!!

Here's why...when you place a cloth / felt / 'whatever' material bra on the front of your car, (tape stripes or not), you are basically placing a giant piece of sandpaper on the hood of your car! Oh sure, after one or two uses, you will look at the finish and think that guy on the forum was crazy. But after several uses, you will notice fine scratches in your finsih AND stripes!!

At speed, that car bra 'flutters' I don't care if you think you can't see it or not...it flutters enough, as if rubbing a piece of sandpaper on your paint. I sold car parts for over twenty years, and NEVER sold ONE bra! I discouraged every single person that picked up the box! Aftermarket stores, Toyota dealership, and Jag dealership. Oh, Mazda too!

I'm tellin' ya......................PLEASE obstain from putting anything on your paint! Just take care when you drive, and for that odd chip, as I described above, touch-up paint with a toothpick...NOT the brush that is supplied!

:salute::rant2:

At the risk of sounding like Debbie Downer here, I must tell you: STAY AWAY from car bras!

Run Forest, Run!!!!

Here's why...when you place a cloth / felt / 'whatever' material bra on the front of your car, (tape stripes or not), you are basically placing a giant piece of sandpaper on the hood of your car! Oh sure, after one or two uses, you will look at the finish and think that guy on the forum was crazy. But after several uses, you will notice fine scratches in your finsih AND stripes!!

At speed, that car bra 'flutters' I don't care if you think you can't see it or not...it flutters enough, as if rubbing a piece of sandpaper on your paint. I sold car parts for over twenty years, and NEVER sold ONE bra! I discouraged every single person that picked up the box! Aftermarket stores, Toyota dealership, and Jag dealership. Oh, Mazda too!

edit- You will be sorry.

I'm tellin' ya......................PLEASE obstain from putting anything on your paint! Just take care when you drive, and for that odd chip, as I described above, touch-up paint with a toothpick...NOT the brush that is supplied!

:salute::rant2:

I've had the clear bra on the front of my car for over 1 1/2 years now and it still looks as good as it did when I got it. I was told to keep it from yellowing, never use paste waxes....I use Turtle wax ice. Most people don't even know it's on my car until they walk up on it.

First mod we did after purchasing the Roush back in 2006, now after many road trips over the past 5 yrs (20k miles) it still looks GREAT !!!!

The car won a Gold award with a perfect 100 points at last years MCA Grand Nationals, no doubt the front end looking 100% perfect helped. Of course the lighter the color of the car the the less noticeable the material is.

It's also a great idea to install the material on the lower rocker panels and other leading edges.

Bugs and road grime wipe off thanks to the protection of the material, makes for easy clean up after traveling long distances to shows and events. The soft wax I use doesn't build up on the edge, and if yours does it should be easily removed by running a detail brush run along the edges.

I'm so happy with the result I also did the vista blue Shelby last Fall- no regrets, money will spent-

Here's a shot of the 3m protected front end from last summer

P6050008-1.jpg

Had my 3m Clear Bra on for 4 years. No yellowing, no discoloring.

The wax is easily cleaned up from the edge. Chip free = :drool:

I have considered 3m bra also, professionally installed.

I spoke with an installer who said the only problem he was concerned about is an air pocket developing along the edge of the stripes. Have you had any issues like that? I asked him if he could cut along the stipe but I'm not sure I like that idea either.

3M installed 2+ years ago no issues at all

Like FordFan1 said, it is less noticeable on a lighter color

However on our Black SGT you need to get fairly close to see it

The installer is the key

I have considered 3m bra also, professionally installed.

I spoke with an installer who said the only problem he was concerned about is an air pocket developing along the edge of the stripes. Have you had any issues like that? I asked him if he could cut along the stipe but I'm not sure I like that idea either.

The guys that did mine cut the Clearbra one the edge of the stripes. They laid perfect with no bubbles. Definitely something I wouldn't want to attempt myself.

He laid mine right over the stripes with no air pocket and nothing gets down next to the stripes.

I have wondered though: If I remove the 3M will the stripes come up with it? a very real possibility.

I would paint them on which I can do but still is a big job.

He laid mine right over the stripes with no air pocket and nothing gets down next to the stripes.

I have wondered though: If I remove the 3M will the stripes come up with it? a very real possibility.

I would paint them on which I can do but still is a big job.

They laid mine over the stripes, I've won 3 car shows and its been on a year with no issues. Also the grand baby scuffed it with her bike and I took out the mark with an orbital using scratch and swirl removal. You can treat this just like your paint. know one knows it there unless they look down the hood from the drivers position, you can see the edge. I'm going to probably replace it( next year), as it has 2 marks from rocks that are in the bra only.The best money that I've spent on the car.................post-26949-0-85355300-1296869268_thumb.jpg

post-26949-0-85355300-1296869268_thumb.jpg

i have 3m clear bra on my car since SS'd in 2009. looks great. barely noticeable. my car is grabber orange... i'm sure the clearbra would be more norticable on a black car. I agree with others here... the installer is the key to this. i also have some clear bra on the rear quarter panel, the rocker panels, and in the depression where the door handles are (prevent ring scratching the paint). again, most dont notice unless i point it out.

Ron

Bought my 08 Torch Red 500 last August with 3200 miles. 1800 miles later, still great with no issues.

The 3M bra was on it when I got it. I am the second owner so assuming it was there since day one. No fading noticeable and unless I point it out, nobody has ever noticed it. For the stripes they obviously avoided them since no film is present. The whole front bumper, headlights, and hood is protected and it looks like it took some time to install due to the detailed pieces and perfect placement. I am glad mine do not cover the stripes. I have a bad feeling if replaced the stripes would pull off with the film.

So for me it looks and works great. Not one chip where it is present. As luck would have it my only 2 chips are on the hood just above the protected zone :banghead: After a few hours of filling and polishing they are gone but living in AZ there is little doubt it will happen again.

Personal opinion, it works great and almost invisible if installed properly. I have seen a few done wrong and it looks awful. Nothing worse than bubbles, wrinkles and mismatched lines, so it is obvious having a pro do the job is the best approach.

I had Venture Shield (now owned by 3M) installed on the car last winter. It looks great and protects the car nicely. I had my entire hood done, the entire front of the car, A pillars, lower fenders behind the front wheels, rear bumper below the trunk and all of the carbon fiber pieces (splitter, rockers, mirrors). The installer even removed the hood vents and wrapped it around the entire hood so there are no seams in it at all. The front fenders are only partially covered so it does have seams. The front fascia/bumper was done in 2 pieces. The installer did a beautiful job. This was a small job for him since he is used to covering the entire car. He was working on an Audi R8 and a Ferrari while I was there. He was not cheap.

I had Venture Shield (now owned by 3M) installed on the car last winter. It looks great and protects the car nicely. I had my entire hood done, the entire front of the car, A pillars, lower fenders behind the front wheels, rear bumper below the trunk and all of the carbon fiber pieces (splitter, rockers, mirrors). The installer even removed the hood vents and wrapped it around the entire hood so there are no seams in it at all. The front fenders are only partially covered so it does have seams. The front fascia/bumper was done in 2 pieces. The installer did a beautiful job. This was a small job for him since he is used to covering the entire car. He was working on an Audi R8 and a Ferrari while I was there. He was not cheap.

If you don't mind me asking, how much?

Archived