TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires and Tire Dimension

Wiking

What tires and tire dimension is recommend for the 20" Shelby Alcoa wheels?

Thanks,

Fronts: 275/35

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport-tires?

Rears: banghead.gif

Enjoy reading 16+ pages:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55653-bigger-rear-tires/

I went with 255/35/20 up front. In the back, I went with 295/35/20s. Great fit The tires were Nitto Invos. Currently Goodyear has a 285/35/20 tire for the back, which may provide better traction then the Invos. I feel a 20" tire with a 30 sidewall ratio profile is too low. need more sidewall!!

I went with 255/35/20 up front. In the back, I went with 295/35/20s. Great fit The tires were Nitto Invos. Currently Goodyear has a 285/35/20 tire for the back, which may provide better traction then the Invos. I feel a 20" tire with a 30 sidewall ratio profile is too low. need more sidewall!!

Hi Shelbypt,

I'm sure you knew this but the sidewall figure (aspect ratio) is a percentage of the width so a 305 30 has the same sidwall height (i.e. 30 percent of 305mm is 91.5 mm) as a 255 35 (35% of 255mm is 89.25mm). Actually the 305 30 has 2.25mm additional sidewall height but that is so small that it would not be noticable by the driver or the car. Your 255 35 and the 295 35 have different diameters where the front tires will have a diameter of about 27.03 inches and the rear tires will have a diameter of about 28.13 inches so the rears are about 1.1 inches taller than the front but that was probably what you were lookking for and meant when you referred to wanting more sidewall (probably more sidewall for the rear).

My personal opinion is that the optimal size for our cars is 275 35 20 in front with a 305 30 20 in the rear (assuming the wheel width and offset/backspacing are correct) where the front diameter would be about 27.49 inches and the rear would be about 27.20 inches (only about .29 inches different). As far as traction goes, that also has a lot to do with the rubber compound, tread pattern and sidewall stiffness. I had 275 40 17 BFG drag radials on my old mustang cobra and it hooked up in a straight line better than several of my friends who had wider rear tires that were high performance pure street tires on 18 inch rims but their cars handled better in the corners. So, it always comes down to a compromise in my book between what the intended use is (pure street, drag or track) and how much of each you're willing to trade off. Since my KR is not my daily driver I'm willing to accept some louder noise and sidewall stiffness to get a better handling tire. I'm not looking to track my car much so I'm not going with a competition tire (neither drag or autocross). I want the best all around handling street tire in a 275 35 20 front and 305 30 20 rear and there are not too many options in those sizes. I'm leaning toward the Pzero Nero over the T1R but I'm waiting till spring to see if any other tires become available in that size combo.

Yes, the sidewall sizing is a ratio and the wider you go the taller the sidewall gets, maintaining the same aspect ratio. Great point!! This question was specific for the Alcoa, which we know doesn't have a great offset in the back. The wheel actually looks like it is a mm wider than the wheel well 1/4 panel. And i've seen 305/35/20s rubbing on supersnakes with the stock 20" Alcoas. That's why i went with a 295. Later, Goodyear came out with the 285/35/20 for the 2011 GT500. Anyhow, I didn't want a sidewall ratio of 30 for the 285 or 295 secondary to the small tire height. What, I would like to see is a 20" street drag radial compound in a 285 "preferably", or 295/35/20 size. That would make a good stock 20" fit without any rubbing on the wheel well, and good traction. With a different wheel, like the Trueforged Chicane, you can put a 315/35/20 without rubbing, because of the better offset.

Great info for someone looking at 20" Alcoas!!

Hi Shelbypt,

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 on my M3 and like them alot. 255/35/20 in front and 295/35/20 in the back seems to be the way to go. Do you have any photos with the new wheels installed on the car?

Thanks for everyone's input//R

Hi Shelbypt,

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 on my M3 and like them alot. 255/35/20 in front and 295/35/20 in the back seems to be the way to go. Do you have any photos with the new wheels installed on the car?

Thanks for everyone's input//R

This is the best picture I have of the car since putting on the 20" Alcoas. I hope it helps

IMG_5795.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 09 KR and am trying to find a tire/wheel combo for road racing courses...something like Hoosier R6 tires or equivalent. Having trouble finding fit. Do I need to go to larger wheels to find track tires that fit. I can't find anything to fit 18"x9.5" rims. Any help anyone can give me will be appreciated. I have had it on road course at Texas World Speedway in College Station with stock Goodyear F1 tires and it ran the course extremely well, but with racing slicks designed for road courses I have been told the lap time and experience will be greatly enhanced. If any of you have the chance to take your KR on a road course track do it. It is a rush and the car was built to perform. Thanks in advance.

Don

I have an 09 KR and am trying to find a tire/wheel combo for road racing courses...something like Hoosier R6 tires or equivalent. Having trouble finding fit. Do I need to go to larger wheels to find track tires that fit. I can't find anything to fit 18"x9.5" rims. Any help anyone can give me will be appreciated. I have had it on road course at Texas World Speedway in College Station with stock Goodyear F1 tires and it ran the course extremely well, but with racing slicks designed for road courses I have been told the lap time and experience will be greatly enhanced. If any of you have the chance to take your KR on a road course track do it. It is a rush and the car was built to perform. Thanks in advance.

Don

I haven't taken my KR on a road course, but I've read that these cars are quite capable with their suspension set up and sticky tires. What part of Texas are you from?

Archived