TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire rub

shane42

I have a 07 gt500 and put 20" SS wheels with a 295x30x20 on the rear and also put ford lowering springs on the front and rear, I'm interested in the Ford racing FR3 Handling Package, do you know if the rear will rub the fender with this kit or will I need the SS rear coilover setup that you can adjust the ride height.

When I was researching what tires to go with out back, I read where some people used a 295/30/20 had rubbing issues....but I've also read where others have installed 295/30's out back and had no issues what-so-ever. I think it comes down to the lowering aspect of the vehicle. I'm running the Eibach Pro-Kit and can tell you that when my rear suspension collapses (making a turn & going up an incline), the tires goes perfectly in the fender. I can say that if I had gone with a 295/30, which has a sidewall that is even with the face of the rim, I would have rubbing issues.

When I was researching what tires to go with out back, I read where some people used a 295/30/20 had rubbing issues....but I've also read where others have installed 295/30's out back and had no issues what-so-ever. I think it comes down to the lowering aspect of the vehicle. I'm running the Eibach Pro-Kit and can tell you that when my rear suspension collapses (making a turn & going up an incline), the tires goes perfectly in the fender. I can say that if I had gone with a 295/30, which has a sidewall that is even with the face of the rim, I would have rubbing issues.

OK, but cant you adjust the ride height with the Eibach pro kit, by adjusting the coil overs.

Also on my set up the tire just barely rubs the inside of the fender, so I really just need to raise the raer about 1/2" to 3/4' of an inch.

OK, but cant you adjust the ride height with the Eibach pro kit, by adjusting the coil overs.

Also on my set up the tire just barely rubs the inside of the fender, so I really just need to raise the raer about 1/2" to 3/4' of an inch.

I did not go with a coil over set up, just lowering springs. As far as how much to raise it so you don't have rubbing issues, I really don't know. You could try 1/2" first, drive the car around for a while and test it out. If you find that you are still having problems at certain times, raise it up alittle more. It's going to be trial & error.

Good Luck.

• 2 months later...

I did not go with a coil over set up, just lowering springs. As far as how much to raise it so you don't have rubbing issues, I really don't know. You could try 1/2" first, drive the car around for a while and test it out. If you find that you are still having problems at certain times, raise it up alittle more. It's going to be trial & error.

Good Luck.

Remove 1/8" from the face of the rotor, machine 3/16 from the wheel mounting flange (there is lots of material there) 295-35 -20 PS2 on Alcoa. no problems

Archived