TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Modificatoin to do list this Spring- Suggestions?

REAL ONE

Well, I've finally given in to the mod bug. :slapfight:

I've decided to do the following mods on the KR this spring.

I was thinking of the 605 TVS supercharger. But the way I figured it, at a cost of roughly $4,000.00 before install I decided to do the following instead.

Kooks long tube headers. Received.

2.6 pulley upgrade

Ford Racing Cobra Jet 65mm throttle body.

Custom Modified Tune for the above mods

Shelby high performance heat exchanger with dual fans.

Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear.

lower control arm lowering bracket to reduce wheel hop.

Shelby lower control arm.

black Shelby rear quarter window covers.

Silver KR windshield banner

KR signature matts

The main questions I have is the difference between the bigger blower and doing the pulley upgrade to the 2.6 pulley. Anyone have any info on what the advantange or disadvantage is to doing the pulley instead of changing the blower.

Any suggestions or comments?

Appreciate the input.

I was thinking of the 605 TVS supercharger. But the way I figured it, at a cost of roughly $4,000.00 before install I decided to do the following instead.

2.6 pulley upgrade

KR signature matts

The main questions I have is the difference between the bigger blower and doing the pulley upgrade to the 2.6 pulley. Anyone have any info on what the advantange or disadvantage is to doing the pulley instead of changing the blower.

Appreciate the input.

2.6 pulley upgrade

KR signature matts

Appreciate the input.

I would skip the 2.6 pulley and spring for the TVS. It's a much better SC and you won't need to spin it as fast, which means less heat. I would also skip the FR TB and go with the L&M 72mm TB and their CNC plenum. It will drive just like stock and have the power of a SS. oh, don't forget the 96oz L&M intercooler tank, looks just like oem.

http://www.landm-airflow.com/

A few things I would add

Shelby Watts links

Shelby Caster Camber plates

Hawk brakes pads

SS brake lines

Race cats

JPC clutch line upgrade

Guys thanks for all the replies and the PMs I got.

Great suggestions.

I was kinda unsure about the pulley too.

I think I'll just stick with the headers and TB.

But isn't the 72mm too big??? JDM recommended the 65mm.

Also think the L&M intercooler is a great idea. Will it provide the same cooling ability as the Shelby heat exchanger with the dual fans???? I woiuldn't think so.

Will the Hawk pads increase the brake dust or cut down on it. The KR pads make brake dust worse then my Porsche's brakes.

This is just an outsider's opinion so take it for what it's worth, but if I had a KR I wouldn't do anything to that beautiful car.

Heck with my GT500 I only have a CAI and it's got gobs of power... more than I can use anyway.

I totally get the mod bug though. I have a 2006 Mustang that started out as a GT... then I got a supercharger... then suspension... then I bought GT500 seats to put in it... then I got tired of the 4.6 and went ahead and swapped a GT500 engine into the car :)

So I get it believe me, but with a KR... if I had one, I'd just stare at it for long periods of time when I couldn't drive it... then I'd drive it all over the place when I could trying not to drool over anything too much ;)

This is just an outsider's opinion so take it for what it's worth, but if I had a KR I wouldn't do anything to that beautiful car.

Heck with my GT500 I only have a CAI and it's got gobs of power... more than I can use anyway.

I totally get the mod bug though. I have a 2006 Mustang that started out as a GT... then I got a supercharger... then suspension... then I bought GT500 seats to put in it... then I got tired of the 4.6 and went ahead and swapped a GT500 engine into the car :)

So I get it believe me, but with a KR... if I had one, I'd just stare at it for long periods of time when I couldn't drive it... then I'd drive it all over the place when I could trying not to drool over anything too much ;)

Hey tire kicker...long time!

+1000 on modding the KR. (or not, I mean) I'm with you on that thought process all the way. They made a ton of the GT500's and therefore we can mod till our hearts content. There aren't enuf of the KR's to (forgive me, :hide: bastardize.)

JMHO

The Mods on my KR can all be changed right back to stock in no time, and the enhancements are all FRPP or Shelby to keep it's heritage in place. To me, the TVS was a very impressive upgrade. It took me 4 hours to exchanged the two, but I was taking pictures of every step. So, it could be done quicker and this was my firs time doing the change. I waited for a used one to come along, had 1900 miles on it with two tuners, also port matched elbow, I have the FRPP TB, dual heat exchanger, and aluminum drive shaft from Shelby. Runs Great and very happy with the power out of it!! I don't see the headers making that much of a difference and they are pretty expensive plus the time and headache to install them. Maybe if I were moving up into higher horsepower ranges then I would???

Yeah, I hear you. I continually go back and forth on doing the mods. Drives me :confused:

The mods I selected are bolt on and bolt off. They are all designed to allow the mighty 5.4 to run to it's full natural potential by maximizing the engine's respiratory system rather then just force feeding it with a bigger blower. Kinda like maximizing an athlete's breathing for better and stronger performance.

But, part of me still wants to keep it stock. And yes it's plenty powerful as is.

The kooks LT headers according to JDM Engineering will be good for 40 rwhp based on past dyne results. That's w/o the TB. Can do all my planned mods for about the cost of the TVS. With all my mods including a slightly smaller pulley like a 2.82 the car should be around 580 rwhp per JDM w/o changing the tune.

Guys thanks for all the replies and the PMs I got.

Great suggestions.

I was kinda unsure about the pulley too.

I think I'll just stick with the headers and TB.

But isn't the 72mm too big??? JDM recommended the 65mm.

Also think the L&M intercooler is a great idea. Will it provide the same cooling ability as the Shelby heat exchanger with the dual fans???? I woiuldn't think so.

Will the Hawk pads increase the brake dust or cut down on it. The KR pads make brake dust worse then my Porsche's brakes.

the 72mm tb works great on the TVS or Whipple. Tasca thought the same way, till they tested the L&M TB's and now use it on their upfit packages. I do agree with you on more air in and better exhaust out, plus they weigh less then the stock manifolds.

Archived