TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A WWII Video...in color

Great video thanks for posting!!

My grandfather was a supervisor at Republic airplane co. building P-47's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_P-47_Thunderbolt

Little off subject but my dad said Howard Hughes was a frequent visitor to the airplane plant and he would even come over to their house for dinner.

John Sperry the inventor of the auto pilot was a friend of my grandfather. My grandparents saw Charles Lindbergh take off from Farmingdale for his flight over the Atlantic.

Anyway, thanks for posting. :salute:

For all you modern stick jockeys (and I say that with the utmost respect!), you'll appreciate this video. For everyone else, like me, well, I'm just glad they were there. :salute:

P-47 Bombing Mission in COLOR

video16x16.gifP-47satWar.wmv

John

John,

Thanks for posting this great (and rare) color video of P-47 Thunderbolts in action over Europe. I remember my Dad speaking fondly of the "JUG" and how it was built like a flying tank. As the video demonstrates, it could take a lickin and kept on ticking... bringing their pilots back home (much like the more recent A10 Warthog, aka: Thunderbolt ll of Desert Storm fame). They met out a lot of damage on the German military infrastructure and helped lay the ground work for the June 6th, 1944 invasion of the continent. Below is a picture of the Colonel with members of his 402nd FS. :salute:

P-47Squadron.jpg

The Jug was a sturdy plane. One pilot stated that during a mission he took several hits from a Messerschmitt. After the 109 pilot emptied all his ammunition into the P47 it still kept flying. The 109 pilot flew alongside the Jug; saluted to the pilot and peeled off. Great story; great plane. Thanks for posting.

John,

Thanks for posting this great (and rare) color video of P-47 Thunderbolts in action over Europe. I remember my Dad speaking fondly of the "JUG" and how it was built like a flying tank. As the video demonstrates, it could take a lickin and kept on ticking... bringing their pilots back home (much like the more recent A10 Warthog, aka: Thunderbolt ll of Desert Storm fame). They met out a lot of damage on the German military infrastructure and helped lay the ground work for the June 6th, 1944 invasion of the continent. Below is a picture of the Colonel with members of his 402nd FS. :salute:

P-47Squadron.jpg

Great Photo! Thanks.....

John

Thanks for the video and photo. So many of them paid the ultimate price for our freedom!

Rag Top Day,

So very true! You'll notice a number of "X's" that my Dad recorded on the 402nd FS photo. These fine airmen didn't come home. I salute their sacrifice. :salute:

Got it! it's a SB2C Helldiver!

Nope, sorry! Guess again!

Oh, here's a hint: The Finnish Air Force used a fighter built by the same company to achieve a 32 to 1 kill ratio over the Russians during the early part of WWII.

I've seen this picture before and thought it was taken at Bradley Field right here in the US - It is my understanding the 402nd FS trained in P-47's while in the states, then, once overseas, they were assigned P-38's! There were some delays in becoming operational because of the obvious necessity of re-training.

Sam

Oh, here's a hint: The Finnish Air Force used a fighter built by the same company to achieve a 32 to 1 kill ratio over the Russians during the early part of WWII.

I've seen this picture before and thought it was taken at Bradley Field right here in the US - It is my understanding the 402nd FS trained in P-47's while in the states, then, once overseas, they were assigned P-38's! There were some delays in becoming operational because of the obvious necessity of re-training.

Sam

Is it VL Myrsky? I'll have to admit I had to Google it to find it. From the picture I thought it was a fixed gear airplane.

They both look the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VL_Myrsky

Sam

Sam,

Good eye! You're absolutely correct about Bradley. The 402nd went operational in England at Andover. See my brother's thread here http://daveg4otu.tri...elds/402FS.html

Is it VL Myrsky? I'll have to admit I had to Google it to find it. From the picture I thought it was a fixed gear airplane.

They both look the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VL_Myrsky

You were closer with the SOB 2nd Class, which the mystery aircraft very closely resembles! Note the paint scheme - the Hell Diver never served with the Army Air Corps.

The Finns flew a pudgy little fighter that was named after the American Bison - the Buffalo! (though it was declared obsolete by everybody else, the Finns did very well until the Russians developed better aircraft.)

Our mystery aircraft is from the same US company that created the Buffalo: Brewster! This is the Bermuda (or Buccaneer whichever you prefer) - probably by the time that picture was taken, it was serving as a "hack" aircraft or target tug, as it was pretty much a loser.

Brewster didn't do so well either, (though they did build Corsairs for the Navy under license from Chance/Vought), and was dissolved around the end of the war.

Sam

Archived