TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question on stock GT500's handling

tmacier

I am in the market for a used GT500 and in my research I have uncovered some articles/reviews expressing concerns for the handling of these vehicles.

I understand this can be upgraded, but to be honest, I dont like to do that.

Is the GT500's handling worse in these years than a regular GT in the same years?

I will be buying a vert and dont run road courses - just like to press the right pedal down some times getting on a curvey highway entrance ramp.

Tim

Weight is a big factor when it comes to handling. Another big thing is body flex with convertibles. Do you not want to modify your car at all? If your worried about the warranty, you can get ford racing parts installed by a ford dealer and you wont lose the warranty.

Welcome to team shelby and good luck finding a GT500. There are plenty of good deals out there.

With a vert I'd go with the 2011 so you get the upgrades similar to the 10 coupe. The 10 vert has a different set up (more of a cruiser type). Unless your going to mod, then get w/e you like best. I can't push my 10 coupe past it's handling limits here on the Texas roads. Coming from a C6 Z06, initially I was also worried about the handling until I drove one. Much better than advertised.

When shopping for this car I debated between an SGT convertible and the GT 500 vert. I'm glad I chose the GT 500. The SGT is built more as a street/track car, where as (In my opinion) the GT 500 is more of a Grand Touring car. We have logged some 1500+ mile vacation trips and it's s comfortable cruiser. Wheel hop is a problem stock or modified, depends on how you want to use the car. I've got 23k on the clock and I'm not interested in modifying the suspension at all..... Letting it howl up the ramp is one of my favorite places too!

Good Luck!

You HAVE to change the lower control arms as an absolute minimum as the wheel hop will get tiresome very quickly. My honest opinion is that the stock car is a horrid handling car. If you are used to any type of Japanese or German sports car you are going to be disappointed. Its a fun car no question, an absolute ball of fun but stock they handle like your dads olds. Well like your dads olds with 500hp. Wet roads or cold weather will get your blood flowing. But I can't think of a better car for a sunny day and some cruising, Don't be afraid of the mod monster, its coming to get you.

Peter

You HAVE to change the lower control arms as an absolute minimum as the wheel hop will get tiresome very quickly. My honest opinion is that the stock car is a horrid handling car. If you are used to any type of Japanese or German sports car you are going to be disappointed. Its a fun car no question, an absolute ball of fun but stock they handle like your dads olds. Well like your dads olds with 500hp. Wet roads or cold weather will get your blood flowing. But I can't think of a better car for a sunny day and some cruising, Don't be afraid of the mod monster, its coming to get you.

Peter

Spent last weekend at the Track ( the BASH) 1st time for me. I had an instructor for the first 2 sessions and then 2 or 3 sessions by myself. All I can say is WOW to let loose 575 RWHP.Car ran level through the whole course, felt very safe pushing it to the limit. My car has some serious suspension mods and is still very street friendly. We take it every year to Southern California, it cruses just like a Lincoln. The more you mod it the better it goes.

Thank you all for your input

My previous stang was a 2007 Roush 427R Coupe - before that was a 2000 Mustang GT Vert.

I have been told that not much will outhandle the Roush stock -

I twisted tools thru college and while I have all I tools I just hate doing it - so I will probally leave it stock

A 2011 may be just a hair out of my max price range, I am thinking about a used 2007 to 2009 vert in the 35k range, real comfortable there... unless I find a great deal on a 10 or 11.

Tim

I was in the same boat. I wanted a new '11 Vert. with the Perf. Package, it's almost 60K on the sticker..Ouch!! I found a left-over New 09 Black Vert with HID's and the Dlx. Interior. I bought it an saved over 20K. I've had it over 3 months and to be honest, I'm very under-whelmed. I came out of a modded 03 Terminator Vert., that handled great, thanks to AC427's R. Bushing kit. The stock GT500 handles like a truck, and has massive understeer, and sits like an SUV. Since I scraped the F. Spoiler backing up my drive-way, I can't lower the front, so I installed the Roush R. Springs and Adj. Panhard Bar. Really firmed up the rear. Car sits level now. Performance seemed lethargic so I also installed the FRPP Cold-air Intake and Tune, with the KR Axle-backs. Better throttle response and an advertised 40HP, 30 TQ increase, HMMM, maybe. The KR's don't drone much and sound much better than stock, but I wish they we're a bit lower, IE more muscle-car sounding...Yeah I'm old... The Clutch chatters like crazy and it's hard to get a smooth take-off in traffic. I'm thinking about 3.73 gears next....I'm told it will help... Probably going to have to do something with the Upper and or lower control arms soon. Wondering if any of these mods will improve the handling?? Best mod we're the painted NXT Hood Struts, no drill install, and they look and work great. No more Hood stick... Have about 750 miles on it now, I hope I can get a baseline on the rollers at about 1500 miles, and maybe get a Custom tune from VMP or RET locally. My 2 cents, Good luck!!

I was in the same boat. I wanted a new '11 Vert. with the Perf. Package, it's almost 60K on the sticker..Ouch!! I found a left-over New 09 Black Vert with HID's and the Dlx. Interior. I bought it an saved over 20K. I've had it over 3 months and to be honest, I'm very under-whelmed. I came out of a modded 03 Terminator Vert., that handled great, thanks to AC427's R. Bushing kit. The stock GT500 handles like a truck, and has massive understeer, and sits like an SUV. Since I scraped the F. Spoiler backing up my drive-way, I can't lower the front, so I installed the Roush R. Springs and Adj. Panhard Bar. Really firmed up the rear. Car sits level now. Performance seemed lethargic so I also installed the FRPP Cold-air Intake and Tune, with the KR Axle-backs. Better throttle response and an advertised 40HP, 30 TQ increase, HMMM, maybe. The KR's don't drone much and sound much better than stock, but I wish they we're a bit lower, IE more muscle-car sounding...Yeah I'm old... The Clutch chatters like crazy and it's hard to get a smooth take-off in traffic. I'm thinking about 3.73 gears next....I'm told it will help... Probably going to have to do something with the Upper and or lower control arms soon. Wondering if any of these mods will improve the handling?? Best mod we're the painted NXT Hood Struts, no drill install, and they look and work great. No more Hood stick... Have about 750 miles on it now, I hope I can get a baseline on the rollers at about 1500 miles, and maybe get a Custom tune from VMP or RET locally. My 2 cents, Good luck!!

This is the first I've heard of clutch chatter, so not sure this is normal. Maybe it is, but the 2011 with SVTPP set-up is the smoothest 1st gear start I've ever driven. Compared to our 2006 GT, the GT500 so much easier to drive form a clutch/shifting standpoint.

Ray Lucca, I changed out my tranny fluid and rear diff fluid with the AMSOIL fluids and my drive train quieted right down. Made a huge difference. A lot of guys here are posting the same results by using Royal Purple, and I think Redline. Something to consider...

I am in the market for a used GT500 and in my research I have uncovered some articles/reviews expressing concerns for the handling of these vehicles.

I understand this can be upgraded, but to be honest, I dont like to do that.

Is the GT500's handling worse in these years than a regular GT in the same years?

I will be buying a vert and dont run road courses - just like to press the right pedal down some times getting on a curvey highway entrance ramp.

Tim

Handling is not bad, it's just not as good as light weight cars like zo6...The only thing that bothers me is the iron block and all the troubles that comes with it(heat soak, weight, bad handling and ...). Get a 2011 vert with aluminum block, it handles great too

This is the first I've heard of clutch chatter, so not sure this is normal. Maybe it is, but the 2011 with SVTPP set-up is the smoothest 1st gear start I've ever driven. Compared to our 2006 GT, the GT500 so much easier to drive form a clutch/shifting standpoint.

I had chatter too. I know you have to give them more gas than normal cars to start, but it seemed to improve when I got KR exhaust and CAI tune. Guessing I'm giving it more gas off the line. Seems to have stopped the chatter! :shift:

Archived